Tom Holmes

Atlantic

Doesnt this all seem pretty weird??  These grammas dont have birth certificates??  Under the striped afghan in the spare bedroom there is a worthers original tin with important papers.   You'll find your moms grade 4 report card, a couple bronze participaction sew on badges, yellow newspaper cuttings of all the obits of everyone from the old neighborhood and grannies original metal SIN CARD (051 345 098) and her birth certificate.  

Finding info about citenzhip eligibility is hard but I didn’t see nothing about a 2015 law change, it seemed like there was some things that said he would be and some said he wouldn’t so I don’t really know. Maybe this wouldn’t well recived by fans and other people but don’t countries sometimes let certain athletes in even if they don’t qualify for their countrys rules then why not do that if you have to?

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

Does this affect things?

No.

5 hours ago, jordan said:

UrWifesSoftPecker could be an expert on this stuff

Not a great name for an immigration lawyer. 🤣

For citizenship, the "my grandparent was born in Canada but my parent was not" thing will only matter for those born after April 17 2009.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/act-changes/rules-2009-2015.html

Right now our U17 pool is '06s, '07s and any exceptional '08s.

The Harper changes may start really limiting our dual-national player pool about 7 years from now.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No.

Not a great name for an immigration lawyer. 🤣

For citizenship, the "my grandparent was born in Canada but my parent was not" thing will only matter for those born after April 17 2009.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/act-changes/rules-2009-2015.html

"This means that if you weren’t already a Canadian citizen by April 17, 2009, and were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, you aren’t Canadian if your Canadian parent was:

• also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent"

Edited by Buchta

4 hours ago, One American said:

The nice thing about the 26 man roster is you can add a guy like this without cutting a guy who was with you for qualifying.

CB seems to have a number of playing time question marks right now So this seems like a good addition 

True. Henry and Vitoria in particular come to mind.

Things have gotten more clear with both also. Vitoria remains in the top flight and is starting matches. Henry finally found a club (and one that's in form at that). Unfortunately he isn't playing much, which is a concern for a player who's virtually guarenteed to be selected for the World Cup Squad.

It's also raised the question of whether MacNaughton (last year's CPL MVP) deserves the call more than Henry does, considering he's starting and playing every match ahead of him now. Of course, any emerging CB news is good news for Canada, which makes this a somewhat pleasing, yet odd situation. One where you don't know whether to be happy or concerned. 

Put me in the happy camp I guess? MacNaughton is demonstrating to be a servicable future option, while Henry probably won't play much at the World Cup anyways. I will take the bad with the good on that. 

29 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Sorry, I don't see it. If MacNaughton ever plays any meaningful games for Canada, it will be a sad state of affairs. Nothing against him, but I think his ceiling doesn't match up with the level of other Can players. 

MacNaugton is probably maxed out as far as his ceiling goes. I think he's gotten as good as he can be. I can't see him progressing much further.

I look at it in terms of where he's at now. Right now he's playing starting minutes for one of the hotter MLS teams. And he's not putting in any bad performances. If this trend continues for the rest of the season, and TFC get into the playoffs and make a run, he'll be prepped with some high intesity and high stakes games heading towards the world cup. Some would say that's better than selecting the player who's glued to the bench behind him (of course though we know Henry is going, rightfully so). 

You don't shake up your team for a low ceiling player who hasn't proven anything with the program, so MacNaugton isn't going.

Now if this were Tom Holmes on the other hand :)

Captaining Reading at 22 years old in the Championship is a player you'd have to bring in. Will be better than MacNaughton in present and future, surely. 

9 hours ago, Buchta said:

"This means that if you weren’t already a Canadian citizen by April 17, 2009, and were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent, you aren’t Canadian if your Canadian parent was:

• also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent"

As far as I understand, he was already a Canadian citizen on that date. His parent and himself just never took the time to get the documents to prove it.

13 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

lol why does everyone keep talking about this guy, no proof whatsoever he can play for canada just rumour

There should be a reality TV/documentary show where the host tries to figure out where his Canadian grandparent was born and what house they lived in during their early years.

We'll call it Homes on Holmes.

Vitória will feature as a Holmes' long-lost Canadian (Property) brother.

3 hours ago, Mitchryan11 said:

lol why does everyone keep talking about this guy, no proof whatsoever he can play for canada just rumour

Because there's a chance he can, and you're on a discussion forum. Also, it's not rumour. The fact that his grandma is Canadian is just that: a fact. It's just whether or not the bureaucracy will get in the way or not.

Edited by frmr

7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There should be a reality TV/documentary show where the host tries to figure out where his Canadian grandparent was born and what house they lived in during their early years.

We'll call it Homes on Holmes.

Vitória will feature as a Holmes' long-lost Canadian (Property) brother.

I thought one with Herdman as the headhunter had already been released as "Hones on Holmes"

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

On 8/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, Mitchryan11 said:

Cause this is a potential game changer for our CB situation.  I've only seen a little, but from what I have seen, I already feel he's our best CB at the moment, and his ceiing looks crazy high.  

• 3 weeks later...