Tom Holmes

Atlantic

1 hour ago, Güerito said:

He did so with the lad from Motherwell, but unless I'm mistaken, not Holmes.

His contention (childish tantrum) was about a fan question asking about Holmes and how the fandom wasn't appreciative enough about the players we had and how Holmes was only Championship level or something to that affect. 

Anyway, he and OneSoccer got flamed hard in the twittersphere for his reaction and they ended up deleting the tweet. But I think the full vid still exists on their YouTube page. 

This is exactly what happened. Don’t think he ever came out and directly said he’s not eligible. He’s also been wrong more often then not so wouldn’t take wheels takes 100% seriously 

Wheeler talked about eligibility through a grandparent who lived in Canada but was not born here. I'm not sure if he has all the facts or was just going on the basis of what happened to the other potential dual Scandinavian player

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

I feel like the Sondre story is being mixed with the Thomas story.

Me too.

The thing about the Tom story is that unlike the Sondre story is that it didn't start with the player.

Just some random dude posted about Tom Holmes in the comment section of an article.

This whole thing could just be an epic trolling.  😅

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Me too.

The thing about the Tom story is that unlike the Sondre story is that it didn't start with the player.

Just some random dude posted about Tom Holmes in the comment section of an article.

This whole thing could just be an epic trolling.  😅

Well transfermarkt has him down as Canadian. Normally they are very good with their info. 

AD97B590-3016-4B49-993C-27C4EDA99ED4.jpeg

Edited by SpecialK

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Do you have the tweet or video of this?

A specific source please.

it’s around 13:30. Pretty cringy too watch. The question is about Holmes but he starts talking about Solholm (references Motherwell). So I think when he definitively says he’s not eligible, he’s referring to Solholm. He does seem to indicate that to his knowledge Holmes isn’t eligible. But he says that’s because his understanding is grandparents don’t count (which I think is clearly wrong). In my opinion, if his grandparent is born in Canada, the biggest hurdle would be getting citizenship, because by FIFA rules that would make him eligible. 

Might be a dumb question, but do we know for sure his grandma is Canadian? I know I saw that comment on an article or something, but where did that info come from?

not to mention, based on his age, his grandma could’ve been born during the war meaning she’s Canadian insofar as his great grandma got with a Canadian soldier stationed in England, had a child, never bothered with citizenship or anything, because it never mattered. He’d be as Canadian as most of Canada is Irish or Italian. Just speculation or course, but he’s clearly on the rise at Reading but nowhere near the ENGMNT, so you’d think there’d be a lot more movement on him playing for us if he was eligible.

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Might be a dumb question, but do we know for sure his grandma is Canadian? I know I saw that comment on an article or something, but where did that info come from?

not to mention, based on his age, his grandma could’ve been born during the war meaning she’s Canadian insofar as his great grandma got with a Canadian soldier stationed in England, had a child, never bothered with citizenship or anything, because it never mattered. He’d be as Canadian as most of Canada is Irish or Italian. Just speculation or course, but he’s clearly on the rise at Reading but nowhere near the ENGMNT, so you’d think there’d be a lot more movement on him playing for us if he was eligible.

Mentioned at the bottom: https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canadians-abroad-roundup-mitrovic-the-latest-dual-national-to-turn-heads/

45 minutes ago, PastPros said:

The relevant part:

Holmes, a 21-year-old centre-back, told Canucks Abroad that his grandmother was born in Canada, which could enable him to represent Canada.”

It’s in the hands of the CSA and the government. How good is the CSA at lobbing the government to speed up passport stuff and citizenship. 

my thinking is they won’t get it in time. But he could play Friendlies. 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

It’s in the hands of the CSA and the government. How good is the CSA at lobbing the government to speed up passport stuff and citizenship. 

my thinking is they won’t get it in time. But he could play Friendlies. 

He has citizenship as per Transfer Market. So there is no lobbying to be done just a call up. Im assuming he has not represented England. So its easy now. 

They might have done lobbying before. Look at the Case of Ugbo. Herdman is very quite. So would not surprise me if this kid gets called up. 

9 minutes ago, Vasi said:

He has citizenship as per Transfer Market. So there is no lobbying to be done just a call up. Im assuming he has not represented England. So its easy now. 

They might have done lobbying before. Look at the Case of Ugbo. Herdman is very quite. So would not surprise me if this kid gets called up. 

Hope your right! He’s a very good CB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...