Sean Rea

PegCityCam

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Don’t know how much it affected it, but their owner, who was the Dallas Mavericks’ GM just prior had a reputation for being very analaytics obsessed to the point where it started annoying their star players. They bring in a guy like Rea because a few numbers on a chart say he projects to become such and such, they bring him on trial, his numbers from practice say that he’s not actually such and such so they drop him. 

There were rumours that he didn’t adjust well to living there and came home and of course when a club gets promoted it changes their priorities, but I wonder if they brought Rea in on this longshot moneyball type move and cut him loose quickly when whatever analytic assumptions they made about him didn’t instantly materialize on the pitch. 

Could be but with them leading the division when he got there I doubt they really looked closely at him. They only met a brief challenge when Cordoba beat them at home, then bounced back. I know the owner was really concerned with getting land from the city to build a training centre and permits to expand the stadium which is municipal. Which only came through after they promoted.

Now they've the pieces in place they'll Moneyball their ascent to first division. Probably in a different way.

As you know if you're living in a small city near the Spanish coast you shouldn't have a problem with your living setup. Was it his first ever stint in Europe?

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think from highlights I saw he was a left wing sub, does that make sense?

Highlights with Valour? I bet he started the vast majority of matches and played all across the top. Wherever they thought he'd have the most freedom

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Could be but with them leading the division when he got there I doubt they really looked closely at him. They only met a brief challenge when Cordoba beat them at home, then bounced back. I know the owner was really concerned with getting land from the city to build a training centre and permits to expand the stadium which is municipal. Which only came through after they promoted.

Now they've the pieces in place they'll Moneyball their ascent to first division. Probably in a different way.

As you know if you're living in a small city near the Spanish coast you shouldn't have a problem with your living setup. Was it his first ever stint in Europe?

I doubt they really got a good look at him, but this is the curse of analytics. If you’re married to your spreadsheets, you may cut your meagre investment in a player short because the very specific reason you brought him in didn’t instantly pan out the way you expected it to, and since they didn’t spend all this money on acquiring him, save the headache and send him home.

As for not being able to settle in coastal Spain, I know nothing of his personal situation, but I do know a coach lashing out at you at practice when you’re on a different continent makes you a little more homesick than you thought you were. I don’t think it’s his case, but there is a contingent of North Americans who go to countries like Spain, can only stomach McDonald’s and Chipotle, complain that water is €3 per bottle and hate having to drive cars that aren’t the size of small military vehicles. People find all sorts of reasons to dislike some very nice places. 

17 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I doubt they really got a good look at him, but this is the curse of analytics. If you’re married to your spreadsheets, you may cut your meagre investment in a player short because the very specific reason you brought him in didn’t instantly pan out the way you expected it to, and since they didn’t spend all this money on acquiring him, save the headache and send him home.

As for not being able to settle in coastal Spain, I know nothing of his personal situation, but I do know a coach lashing out at you at practice when you’re on a different continent makes you a little more homesick than you thought you were. I don’t think it’s his case, but there is a contingent of North Americans who go to countries like Spain, can only stomach McDonald’s and Chipotle, complain that water is €3 per bottle and hate having to drive cars that aren’t the size of small military vehicles. People find all sorts of reasons to dislike some very nice places. 

Then there's the little detail of thinking you're special and finding out, as is the case anywhere in Europe, that the u19s you may train with are as good as you are and rather hungrier. You have to be tough anywhere in football but walking into a place where there are tons of competitive players can be disconcerting. It's always better to get a preseason. You probably shouldn't think you'll blow the roof off in a few weeks. Our more successful guys in mid level Europe are very hard workers and consistent.

If Rea knows Italian then Spanish wouldn't have been hard. Then the Dutch coach Schreuder both played and trained in England and also coached in MLS, at Union, there wouldn't have been any communication problems there. 

PS, I hope you didn't pay 3 euros a bottle of water in Spain, I pay 1.75 for 8 litres!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ps, I hope you didn't pay 3 euros a bottle of water in Spain, I pay 1.75 for 8 litres!

I'd assume he means at restaurants where half the time in Europe even if you ask for tap water they'll put some citrus slices and charge you.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

You could just do what the English do, make parts of Spain (and other places) wholly theirs.

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You could just do what the English do, make parts of Spain (and other places) wholly theirs.

Watched a recent AwayDays episode where they go and watch an FC Benidorm match. Frankly, Spain should close its borders until we figure out what the heck is going on with the British.  

(Quebec has its own Benidorm- it’s called Hollywood, FL.)

Edited by InglewoodJack

26 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It could seem like that in a few places but its actually not true anywhere. The most exaggerated is probably parts of Mallorca dominated by Germans, where in pockets all signage is in German, but if you analyzed it carefully you'd still find majority Spanish everywhere. The reason isn't so great, namely that Spaniards sheepishly copy cheap tourism habits of some foreigners, because they're sold the deals too, in Salou, Marbella, Benidorm, Murcia, Canary Islands.

I doubt Rea, in the heart of paella country, was eating poutine and baked beans.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It could seem like that in a few places but its actually not true anywhere. The most exaggerated is probably parts of Mallorca dominated by Germans, where in pockets all signage is in German, but if you analyzed it carefully you'd still find majority Spanish everywhere. The reason isn't so great, namely that Spaniards sheepishly copy cheap tourism habits of some foreigners, because they're sold the deals too, in Salou, Marbella, Benidorm, Murcia, Canary Islands.

I doubt Rea, in the heart of paella country, was eating poutine and baked beans.

If you can speak your language, eat your food, drink your drink, listen to your music and watch your tv, you've made the place functionality yours. 

Most are on holiday, not living full lives. 

Not sure what Rea's eating habits have to do with that. (It being his thread and all.)

50 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If you can speak your language, eat your food, drink your drink, listen to your music and watch your tv, you've made the place functionality yours. 

Most are on holiday, not living full lives. 

Not sure what Rea's eating habits have to do with that. (It being his thread and all.)

I'm just disappointed because if he'd signed with Castellón he'd be another I could go watch (or agonize over) in Spain.

A bit over a year ago I was condemned to thrilling over Issey Nakajima Farran in 7th tier. 

• 1 month later...