Sean Rea

PegCityCam

He got on m. 69 for Castellón B on Saturday vs. Jove Español, a team from down Alicante way, they were losing 2-0 and it stayed that way.

Good to see he's getting minutes.

The first team lost for the first time this season to Córdoba, at home, and are leaders but not as comfortably ahead as before. 

https://golsmedia.com/comunidad-valenciana/futbol/fc-jove-espanol-san-vicente/2024/03/17/cf-jove-espanol-no-tiene-freno-rompe-dinamica-ascendente-cd-castellon-b/

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 4:44 AM, K Edgar said:

Played 70' yesterday in a losing effort: UD Castellonense 3 - 0 CD Castellón B

Funny, I was just going to late post on that, but he came in m. 70, as a sub, when it was 2-0 for this other small team from the city. The team is not doing well, so that is not good for him and his future at Castellón. I am suspecting, unless he can have some stellar performances, that it won't pan out for him after this season.

They play again tomorrow. Three losses in a row means they've fallen off the pace and could even be relegation threatened if they don't react.

From what I can gather, he did not show for Castellón B today, in a scoreless draw, nor was he with the first team. 

As I said, I am getting a sense that he is not taking advantage of this opportunity. Clearly, it had to go right for him, on a good team, with minutes, and some numbers; but I am a bit disappointed, since he only has a few games to try to show he deserves to go with the first team at an even higher level.

very unfortunate situation...from a top performer in cpl in 2022 to playing in mls in 2023 to spanish d5 now...I took a look to see whats his agency and of course its obelisq...kinda explains this disaster

Was not with the B or the first team, so I wonder if he might be injured. That is two weekends in a row.

Castellón CD won their match and the closest rival lost, and are now 8 points clear and heading to promotion to Spanish 2nd division. Unless he can really turn things around, show his merits, I doubt he'll be with them next season.

To be fair @Big_M he was supposed to warm into things in 5th tier then get used for the first team in 3rd tier. But not even that. 

Any decent MLS player should be able to "not look out of place" at this level.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

He looked very solid for Montreal last year. I was at the game where he scored two against Vaughan, and yes, it’s Vaughan, but he looked like one of the best players for a Montreal team that at times looked like they could’ve fumbled the game. Inclined to believe he hasn’t been given the right chance if he’s not looking good in the Spanish 5th tier. He also hasn’t played a professional game of soccer in what’s going on a year- I think Losada exiled him sometime early last summer? He must be rusty. 

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

So what's up? Is he just in the wind as a free agent right now?

I didn't see any appearance or even mention since Easter at Castellón. Though I didn't check out all B team reports. I just assumed they said no thanks at some point. He certainly doesn't seem to have convinced them for next year (they promoted directly into 2nd division, along with storied Deportivo de la Coruña, they've made a deal for a new training centre and stadium upgrades, the club is flying right now).

On 6/3/2024 at 4:45 PM, Chad_Impact said:

Maybe I don't know the full story but yeah I feel Rea was very hard done by. When he played you saw the talent was there. 

Losada was the exact opposite of what he needed and now it seems it has sent his career into a spiral. I really hope he can get back on his feet.

Losada was not a great coach, and Rea wasn't great defensively. That being said, I had high hopes for him from his CPL highlights, and it just seemed like he was playing it "safe" for Montréal. I get that he was a rookie player, and probably wanted to get the basics down, but we never saw the dribbling and creativity that he was known for during his time in the CPL. It's too bad, because Duke didn't impress too much after a hot start, and Sean definitely had an opportunity to show some of his stuff.

Wish him all the best and hope he comes back stronger!

• 2 weeks later...

Related to his stint at Castellón, maybe he did not play well, but the set-up did not favour him at all.

He couldn't play for the first team, because they had their international quota filled, so they sent him into the B team. And the B guys were not playing great overall. So what could he prove? He basically would have had to walk into the B, dominate, impress, and then hope for a 1st team contract this summer, but having never seen him with the A team.

Now most likely, with the money the club has and the ambition, they will probably go into the market and find who they really need and want and can afford--regardless of any B team player who spent a few months playing well (which he did not apparently do). 

I think even if he could have gotten minutes with the first team, leading their league, it might have looked and felt differently for him.

How does Ottawa fit one more guy like Rea under the cap?  (Unless they got him for cheap given that he was without a team.  That's probably the answer, I suppose.  Bit of a come down for him, if so.)

14 hours ago, shorty said:

How does Ottawa fit one more guy like Rea under the cap?  (Unless they got him for cheap given that he was without a team.  That's probably the answer, I suppose.  Bit of a come down for him, if so.)

I think Ottawa hired the guy who worked the cap for Forge, so it’s probably easy to fit him and maybe 2 more under. Jk

On 6/15/2024 at 3:31 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Related to his stint at Castellón, maybe he did not play well, but the set-up did not favour him at all.

He couldn't play for the first team, because they had their international quota filled, so they sent him into the B team. And the B guys were not playing great overall. So what could he prove? He basically would have had to walk into the B, dominate, impress, and then hope for a 1st team contract this summer, but having never seen him with the A team.

Now most likely, with the money the club has and the ambition, they will probably go into the market and find who they really need and want and can afford--regardless of any B team player who spent a few months playing well (which he did not apparently do). 

I think even if he could have gotten minutes with the first team, leading their league, it might have looked and felt differently for him.

Sean has an EU passport from Italy would've counted as a domestic.  The plan was to stick it out in the B team and essentially trial for the 1st team until season's end and win a contract for the new season but he wasn't happy with the B team setup.  

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Sean has an EU passport from Italy would've counted as a domestic.  The plan was to stick it out in the B team and essentially trial for the 1st team until season's end and win a contract for the new season but he wasn't happy with the B team setup.  

That is not what was said in some Castellon reports, they said he could not sign for the first team because he was not European; then others said the A roster was full; though still others did mention the Italian passport, you are right---but if he has an EU passport that would have been strange for him not to have been brought into the first team mix. 

There is no justification otherwise, in his first match the reports were positive, others were okay, then not as much, the B team had iffy results. But he did not shine, he was playing on a mid-table 5th tier team and did not impress. 

I don't mind if he spins it as he was not happy with the B team set-up, but the fact is really another: he did not do anything to merit even B team minutes, did not stick it out more than 5 weeks it seems, and clearly was unable to impress.

Rea was always a hotdogger and a bit cocky when younger and from his situation at Montreal and on CPL clubs, may have a ceiling a lot lower than he has convinced himself.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is not what was said in some Castellon reports, they said he could not sign for the first team because he was not European; then others said the A roster was full; though still others did mention the Italian passport, you are right---but if he has an EU passport that would have been strange for him not to have been brought into the first team mix. 

There is no justification otherwise, in his first match the reports were positive, others were okay, then not as much, the B team had iffy results. But he did not shine, he was playing on a mid-table 5th tier team and did not impress. 

I don't mind if he spins it as he was not happy with the B team set-up, but the fact is really another: he did not do anything to merit even B team minutes, did not stick it out more than 5 weeks it seems, and clearly was unable to impress.

Rea was always a hotdogger and a bit cocky when younger and from his situation at Montreal and on CPL clubs, may have a ceiling a lot lower than he has convinced himself.

Rea at 19 years old was by far the best creative player ever to lace up the boots for Valour. Maybe it says more about the team than it does him, but I thought he'd at least become a useful player in MLS.

Edited by jonovision

11 hours ago, jonovision said:

Rea at 19 years old was by far the best creative player ever to lace up the boots for Valour. Maybe it says more about the team than it does him, but I thought he'd at least become a useful player in MLS.

As a said, I don't think the arrangement favoured him. It looked right but the team was leading the league and headed straight to promotion to 2nd division. They had no reason to experiment much. He arrived quite late, end of February. He was active for like 5 weeks, very little. He would have had to have been spectacular to be brought into the first team.

A CPL player should handle Spanish fifth tier, an MLS player should be fine in 2nd and comfortable in 3rd.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As a said, I don't think the arrangement favoured him. It looked right but the team was leading the league and headed straight to promotion to 2nd division. They had no reason to experiment much. He arrived quite late, end of February. He was active for like 5 weeks, very little. He would have had to have been spectacular to be brought into the first team.

A CPL player should handle Spanish fifth tier, an MLS player should be fine in 2nd and comfortable in 3rd.

Don’t know how much it affected it, but their owner, who was the Dallas Mavericks’ GM just prior had a reputation for being very analaytics obsessed to the point where it started annoying their star players. They bring in a guy like Rea because a few numbers on a chart say he projects to become such and such, they bring him on trial, his numbers from practice say that he’s not actually such and such so they drop him. 

There were rumours that he didn’t adjust well to living there and came home and of course when a club gets promoted it changes their priorities, but I wonder if they brought Rea in on this longshot moneyball type move and cut him loose quickly when whatever analytic assumptions they made about him didn’t instantly materialize on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I remember him taking virtually every set piece and free kick at Valour and being given freedom to rome and limited defensive responsibilities. If he wasn't treated the same way at another club than he might not stand out in the same way

I think from highlights I saw he was a left wing sub, does that make sense?