2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

4 minutes ago, Addona said:

Perhaps I just don’t know, but how is Poland an easier match up than Tunisia? Even if it’s just Robert L. and 10 other mediocre dudes, that sounds dangerous…

100%. Tunisia are definitely the soft touch in Pot 3. By Elo, they are the second worst team in the World Cup (provided New Zealand doesn’t make it).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunisia_national_football_team

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland_national_football_team

Look at those two rosters and tell me who you’d rather face. Anyone who says Poland is crazy.

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

After Qatar, I probably would prefer Belgium from pot 1. They are an ageing side which I think will struggle with the heat and our speed on the counter

Agreed.  I'm not so sure that I'd want to face Brazil (as others are saying)... the antics of Neymar aside, this is a well coached team who will be prepared.  Spain may be a bit too daunting as well.  Parts of me think we could surprise Argentina... But I'm looking forward to seeing us playing any of the other Pot 1 side.

Germany, Netherlands are Pot 1 teams in disguise (but who also can get overconfident).  Uruguay or Croatia might be nice.  The Swiss always seem to make it out of their group so not sure I'd like to face them, or the rolling Danes.

I'm hoping for Tunisia or Iran from Pot 3.  No Serbia please.  Japan and Senegal scare me a bit and I'm slightly neutral on Korea, Morocco and Poland.  I know others have said that there's not much difference between Pot 3 & 4 but I think Pot 3 is much more difficult and we blew an opportunity by not beating Panama.  The only team that I would liked to have avoided in Pot 4 would have been Wales / Scotland... the other 6 would have been preferential over any of the teams in Pot 3 with the exception of maybe Iran.

Edited by TOcanadafan

31 minutes ago, Addona said:

Perhaps I just don’t know, but how is Poland an easier match up than Tunisia? Even if it’s just Robert L. and 10 other mediocre dudes, that sounds dangerous…

They aren’t, but that panel is taking the whole group into account- if they pick Qatar and Uruguay for the first two pots, they have to pick a European team from Pot 3. I can’t imagine it’s possible to have a group with no European teams

On 3/12/2022 at 11:26 AM, Jedi Ram said:

The 2022 FIFA World Cup gets one step closer on Friday, April 1 when the official World Cup draw takes place in the host nation of Qatar.

TSN has full coverage of the draw, beginning at 11 AM ET/8 AM PT with a one-hour pre-show, followed by the draw at noon ET /9 AM PT. After the draw has concluded, coverage continues with a two-hour post-show at 1 PM ET/11 AM PT. A review show follows at 7 PM ET/4 PM ET. TSN's Matt Scianitti will be live in Doha and will be gathering reaction from around the world following the draw.

FIFA says 19h00 Qatar time, so noon Eastern/ 9am Pacific seems correct.

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/news/qatar-2022-final-draw-all-you-need-to-know

So we all know nothing is going to happen for at least 25 minutes, so if you have to take a break from work to watch, do it at 12:25pm Eastern / 9:25am Pacific.

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

They aren’t, but that panel is taking the whole group into account- if they pick Qatar and Uruguay for the first two pots, they have to pick a European team from Pot 3. I can’t imagine it’s possible to have a group with no European teams

I see. With 13 teams, there could theoretically be 6 groups with 2, 1 group with 1, and 1 with 0, but maybe there is a rule that every group must have at least 1 uefa team?

I too am lost with the thinking of that Panel.   Uruguay is exactly one of the sides i want to avoid.  They historically have taken the dark arts of soccer to a whole new level.  Way above what you will see in CONCACAF.     And this has been the case for many world cups.  Even U20 WC like in 2007 here in Canada, i was at their game vs the US.    As a neutral i have always found them impossible to cheer for because of teh way they play and their fans.    If we face them, i will expect a red card or two in the game and I hope that its not on us.   I also hope that Suarez doesn't bit somebody

Oh by the way,  they always have good players too.  They all play for good clubs and good leagues in Europe and I do respect what they have achieved internationally.  I think that they are the best soccer nation on the planet on a per capita basis.  I want to avoid them

Edited by Free kick

34 minutes ago, Addona said:

I see. With 13 teams, there could theoretically be 6 groups with 2, 1 group with 1, and 1 with 0, but maybe there is a rule that every group must have at least 1 uefa team?

Yes, they will force at least one Euro team into each group this time.

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

I checked this a few weeks ago.  There's a Qatar Airways flight leaving Toronto today that arrives 3 hours before the draw.  Tight but possible

Berhalter and some of his staff rushed to the airport after the Costa Rican match to catch a connecting flight from NY. So, they are expected to be in Doha.

Tata didn't travel to Honduras because of concerns again about his detached retina situation. So, I can't see him risking the long flight. 

21 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

First two pundits have us with England, Germany, with one opting for Senegal, the other for Iran

There is novelity factor for me that I also want see.   We have been grouped with Brazil several times already: Confederation cup, a U20 WC, a U17 WC and one other time that i cant recall.  So i dont want see that again.   Same with France.  Our only other WC grouped us with France.  Yes,  I know it was 35 years ago but again, i dont want to see that.   What they propose would be very difficult.  But i wouldnt hate it necessarily.   

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

You're taking the reasoned, cautious approach to expectations and I don't blame you.

Anything less than a trip to the knockout round (round of 16) should be considered as disappointing.

I definitely do not agree, that not reaching the knockout round be considered as disappointing.  Depending on what you mean by disappointing. 

I might get unhappy...but on a Happiness scale of 1 to 10, like a 2.  With qualifying as a 10, and missing Pot3 still sustaining a 9ish.

Canada is a long ways away from being really disappointed by not advancing.  No matter what Herdman posts on the bulletin board.  I'll allow him, and only him, a 5, no more.

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Accoding to sky sport:

World Cup 2022: Dates, draw, schedule, kick-off times, final for Qatar tournament | Football News | Sky Sports

So who could England face?

Worst-case scenario: England, Germany, Senegal, Peru
Best-case scenario: England, Switzerland, Canada, Saudi Arabia

well their "best-case" can't happen considering we are in Pot 4

I want England, Germany, South Korea.  Let's get some glamour and attention, and I think it would be an exciting group for for all the games.  I get that we want the best draw - whatever that might be - but no matter what we're in for three tough games, so let's just get a fun group. Remember Costa Rica and the group of death in 2014?  The two predicted to finish out of the knockout rounds instead qualified. 

No matter what pot we were in its gonna be some stiff competion . And I am sure Herdmann knows that . Who ever we face we need to play the best of our abilities simple as that and hope for the best . Like Footballfreak says  'Not bothered at all if we are underated" Give the players , and coaching staff more motivation. I would love us to play England and give them a hard game, Just like the USA did in 2010, just for the simple fact of annoying them .

1 hour ago, Joe Keeper said:

Is there any free live stream of the draw being offered?

I believe that FIFA.com will carry it live, maybe on this page. https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/news/qatar-2022-final-draw-all-you-need-to-know

Also, FIFA tends to put things like this free on youtube.the Qatar organization committee is planning to put on 

Finally, the Qatar organization committee is planning to put on twitter  https://twitter.com/search?q=qatar+2022+draw&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search