2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

Speaking of the pot for placing of 1-4.  That one is also important and too often underrated and lost in the long discussion in pot 3 versu pot 4 debate.   

if canada can draw placement that pits them against a pot 1 team in the opening match of the group,  that very very good for us.  Many pot 1 teams, start slowly and plan their training schedule and lineups to peak for the knowckout stage.   You can surprise them and steal points against them in the first game.  But if you get them in third game,  thats going to be much more difficult.  Unless they have already advanced by that time. 

In 1986, we drew France in the opening match.  That was actaully good for us.  With a bit of luck or more quality, we could have surprised them and stole points.  But we werent very good then,  with todays team, a similar schedule to 86 would be beneficial.

Edited by Free kick

Has anyone found a detailed description of draw procedures?  I know in the past some "sketchy" things can go on in placing the teams from the last pot to avoid conflicts - that is, being over-cautious / forcing a drawn team from Pot 4 into a certain group even though it's not 'mathematically' necessary at that time.

According to the not-always-reliable wikipedia:

"Teams from the same confederation cannot be drawn into the same group except for UEFA teams, for which there will be at least one and no more than two per group. This principle will also apply to the placeholder teams, with constraints applying based on the confederation of both potential winners of each play-off tie. The draw will start with pot 1 and end with pot 4, with each team selected then allocated into the first available group alphabetically. The position for the team within the group will then be drawn, with the pot 1 teams automatically drawn into position 1 of each group."

By the time we get to Pot 4, we will know that we can't be drawn into whatever two groups the US & Mexico have been drawn into. Ecuador, who is also in our pot, cannot be drawn into either Argentina or Brazil's groups, Saudi Arabia (also Pot 4) can't be drawn into Qatar's group, while Cameroon & Ghana can't be drawn into any of Senegal, Morroco or Tunisia's groups. The UEFA playoff winner can't go into a group that already has two European teams in it. I believe that the Concacaf-Oceania winner can't be drawn into the US & Mexico's groups either.

All this means that there's a good chance we'll know which group we will be forced into by the time the Pot 4 names start to be drawn.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

According to the not-always-reliable wikipedia:

"Teams from the same confederation cannot be drawn into the same group except for UEFA teams, for which there will be at least one and no more than two per group. This principle will also apply to the placeholder teams, with constraints applying based on the confederation of both potential winners of each play-off tie. The draw will start with pot 1 and end with pot 4, with each team selected then allocated into the first available group alphabetically. The position for the team within the group will then be drawn, with the pot 1 teams automatically drawn into position 1 of each group."

By the time we get to Pot 4, we will know that we can't be drawn into whatever two groups the US & Mexico have been drawn into. Ecuador, who is also in our pot, cannot be drawn into either Argentina or Brazil's groups, Saudi Arabia (also Pot 4) can't be drawn into Qatar's group, while Cameroon & Ghana can't be drawn into any of Senegal, Morroco or Tunisia's groups. The UEFA playoff winner can't go into a group that already has two European teams in it. I believe that the Concacaf-Oceania winner can't be drawn into the US & Mexico's groups either.

All this means that there's a good chance we'll know which group we will be forced into by the time the Pot 4 names start to be drawn.

The way I look at it, when Brazil and Argentina get placed, hope like heck Germany and the Netherlands aren’t with them or things will be very stressful until we are slotted. 

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

The way I look at it, when Brazil and Argentina get placed, hope like heck Germany and the Netherlands aren’t with them or things will be very stressful until we are slotted. 

For that matter, the AFC-Comnebol playoff winner also will not get slotted into either of their groups since the potential is there for that team to be Peru. It seems like a pretty strong chance that we will get either one of those two teams.

Also, Switzerland, for whatever reason, almost always seems to get a Concacaf team when they qualify (I think 2006 is the only time going back to 1994 where that happened in a WC where the Swiss qualified - they got the US that year, Honduras twice and then the Ticos last time round). They can't get the US or Mexico this time round since they are in the same pot, but they could get us of course (or possibly the Ticos again, even though I hope they lose 49-0 to NZ in the playoff).

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

Speaking of the pot for placing of 1-4.  That one is also important and too often underrated and lost in the long discussion in pot 3 versu pot 4 debate.   

if canada can draw placement that pits them against a pot 1 team in the opening match of the group,  that very very good for us.  Many pot 1 teams, start slowly and plan their training schedule and lineups to peak for the knowckout stage.   You can surprise them and steal points against them in the first game.  But if you get them in third game,  thats going to be much more difficult.  Unless they have already advanced by that time. 

In 1986, we drew France in the opening match.  That was actaully good for us.  With a bit of luck or more quality, we could have surprised them and stole points.  But we werent very good then,  with todays team, a similar schedule to 86 would be beneficial.

If we want to play the pot 1 team in the opening match of the group, then we want to be in position 2 within the group (A2-H2). If we want the pot 1 team in the final match of the group stage, then we want position 4 (A4-H4).

Here's Qatar's schedule. The match order is the same for all the groups. By the time they draw us out of pot 4 and give us a position within the group for the schedule, it'll just be whatever position is left over that hasn't been taken yet.

screenshot_20220331_120150.jpg

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Has anyone found a detailed description of draw procedures?  I know in the past some "sketchy" things can go on in placing the teams from the last pot to avoid conflicts - that is, being over-cautious / forcing a drawn team from Pot 4 into a certain group even though it's not 'mathematically' necessary at that time.

Qatar 2022 Final Draw: All you need to know (fifa.com)

Portrait Master Template (fifa.com)

PS.: it was just a google search away.

Edited by Free kick

23 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

For me basically this or more broadly, wherever Germany goes if they don't get Qatar.

17 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

For that matter, the AFC-Comnebol playoff winner also will not get slotted into either of their groups since the potential is there for that team to be Peru. It seems like a pretty strong chance that we will get either one of those two teams.

Also, Switzerland, for whatever reason, almost always seems to get a Concacaf team when they qualify (I think 2006 is the only time going back to 1994 where that happened in a WC where the Swiss qualified - they got the US that year, Honduras twice and then the Ticos last time round). They can't get the US or Mexico this time round since they are in the same pot, but they could get us of course (or possibly the Ticos again, even though I hope they lose 49-0 to NZ in the playoff).

I am guessing we get in with one of either Arg or Bra for some of the reasons you mentioned.   We wont be able to get slotted with the US or Mex but they will have been drawn already.  Because of Ecuador in pot 4 (like you said) they will go with a european team.

2 hours ago, A.D.I.D.A.S. said:

I'm calling this right now...

Belgium / Uruguay / Iran / Canada.

Here is the tricky part with that. Look at the playoff teams where the winner is still undecided and allocated to Pot 4.   the first one is all Eurpean teams.  This means that they cant go a group where there are already two european sides and that will likely leave only the groups with ARG and Bra.   so my theory above gets busted.  

The second group is all sides from Asia plus Peru, so they cant go in group with qatar nor Bra and Arg

We might be doomed to have to go in group with qatar.   

Edited by Free kick

22 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Honestly guys, a large part of me is like "f*ck it, give me Brazil and Germany and let's go shock the world". Go big or go home, boys!

Yes.  I dont think i would mind that at all the more i think about it.   It would serve us well going forward to 2026.   It would let us know where we really stand and what we need to do and work on  in the next years.  If we have flaws, sides like that will expose them.   This is another reason why i really dont want a group with Qatar.  They are the hosts and will be favoured as always to advance.  But when WC 2022 is all done, we wouldnt have learned much about our team by facing Qatar (who wont be hosts in 2026)

Edited by Free kick

I've had a few draw simulations where the pot 4 UEFA playoff winner has to go into Qatar's group because there wasn't a UEFA team in that group already (Qatar, Uruguay, Morocco or Qatar, Uruguay, Tunisia), even though we got picked first out of pot 4 and there was room for a CONCACAF team in that group.

We beat Mexico and the USA at home and drew them away. They're both in Pot 2 with 1658 and 1633  FIFA points respectively. Mexico is at the top of the Pot. So the teams in that Pot (Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Uruguay, Switzerland and Croatia, along with USA, Mexico) I have no doubt we can play with them. I'm not saying we beat them 10 times out of 10 but I see them at the same level of play as the USA and Mexico. We showed we can play with those two teams and beat them.

In Pot 1 you have Portugal 1674 with slightly better FIFA points than Mexico so I put them in the same category as the Pot 2 teams. The only way I fear Qatar is if FIFA decides to protect and favour them.

Spain and England I see as teams where our chances of winning are 50/50. And I can see draws with them

The only teams I fear are Argentina, France, Belgium and Brazil. 4 teams! Those are the teams that I think we'll be extremely lucky to draw. 

27 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Honestly guys, a large part of me is like "f*ck it, give me Brazil and Germany and let's go shock the world". Go big or go home, boys!

Another, much smarter, part of me wants Qatar and Switzerland. 🤣

Take Qatar and Switzerland. You'll get Brazil and Germany in the knockout stages

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

We beat Mexico and the USA at home and drew them away. They're both in Pot 2 with 1658 and 1633  FIFA points respectively. Mexico is at the top of the Pot. So the teams in that Pot (Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Uruguay, Switzerland and Croatia, along with USA, Mexico) I have no doubt we can play with them. I'm not saying we beat them 10 times out of 10 but I see them at the same level of play as the USA and Mexico. We showed we can play with those two teams and beat them.

You have the US at the same level of play as Germany, Denmark, and the Dutch???? Well good news for you is you could get great odds in Vegas for those matchups then

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

In Pot 1 you have Portugal 1674 with slightly better FIFA points than Mexico so I put them in the same category as the Pot 2 teams. The only way I fear Qatar is if FIFA decides to protect and favour them.

Spain and England I see as teams where our chances of winning are 50/50. And I can see draws with them

The only teams I fear are Argentina, France, Belgium and Brazil. 4 teams! Those are the teams that I think we'll be extremely lucky to draw. 

We haven't played a decent European team since 2013, when we lost to the Czechs (unless you count Scotland as decent). We have been in a Concacaf bubble for so, so very long. I can't wait for some friendlies to get a feel for things. 

9 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

You have the US at the same level of play as Germany, Denmark, and the Dutch???? Well good news for you is you could get great odds in Vegas for those matchups then

I don't have them there. FIFA ranking has them there.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:39 PM, TGAA_Star said:

Of course a lot of us Canadians will be tuning in for the Draw itself because we obviously wanna see who Canada ends up in the group with 

Going through this thread now, glad I didn't miss this gem of a post. 

Thanks for the clarification TGAA, I will definitely be watching and I can't wait!