2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

38 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You could argue their qualifying path was harder than many African sides. They tend to be tough and orderly, I wouldn't like to face them. And of course motivation, and playing close to home, is always a factor. 

Morocco is a good example. 

Their qualifying opponents were all easy.

I'm actually thinking the lack of adversity may bite them in the ass in Qatar 

Reading on another forum (not even soccer related) that the opening game has switched and is now Senegal-Netherlands, making it the first time in who knows how long (if ever) that the opening match of a World Cup won’t feature either the hosts or holders 

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

Reading on another forum (not even soccer related) that the opening game has switched and is now Senegal-Netherlands, making it the first time in who knows how long (if ever) that the opening match of a World Cup won’t feature either the hosts or holders 

What is the reason?

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

The poster on this forum reporting this wasn't too clear but he said something to do with tv broadcasting

Yeah, it has to do with maximizing the TV audience. Qatar vs. Ecuador is being played at 7 pm local time and is actually the third game of the opening day.

The entire schedule was set up that way, which is why there were no pre-determined kick-off times.

On 4/2/2022 at 1:56 PM, Cheeta said:

I would just like to mention I miss the pull outs you'd get in the football rags back in the day.  League Ladders, various cup stickers, blah, blah, blah.  

LOL.  Going to head down to the shopping centre see if they have any editions of The Sun yet.

The Persians won't be happy.  Blood in the deep blue

1 hour ago, RS said:

Yeah, it has to do with maximizing the TV audience. Qatar vs. Ecuador is being played at 7 pm local time and is actually the third game of the opening day.

The entire schedule was set up that way, which is why there were no pre-determined kick-off times.

The night before on a Sunday was the answer.  This is very untidy for a WC

So if wiki is correct, if I understand daylight savings and can do some basic math (all big ifs at this point) it seems Canada will be on at 11am, 8am and 7am here on the West coast.

That seems pretty great. Although better in the East if you like to have a few drinks during the match. You can be reasonably drunk the whole time in Newfoundland.

On 4/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Some Bulletin Board material for our boys - here's a Spanish journalist giving us no respect whatsoever (wait until the last moments of the video):

Its just pure fact that Canada represent absolutely nothing in international football and respect wont be given until earned !

C'mon Canada was nowhere in whole century and know u want others to tremble .....

57 minutes ago, Harambasa said:

Its just pure fact that Canada represent absolutely nothing in international football and respect wont be given until earned !

C'mon Canada was nowhere in whole century and know u want others to tremble .....

I'll take the bait. No-one is wanting others to tremble. That's the polar opposite end of the spectrum to showing no respect whatsoever, there is a gulf bigger than the Gulf of Mexico between those two extremes. Since he mentioned Morocco and not Canada, you may well ask which team is deserving of more respect based on the teams they beat to qualify, Morocco or Canada? Hint: one of these two teams didn't face a Top 60 nation on the way to qualifying, and it wasn't Canada...

Edited by Gian-Luca

21 hours ago, red card said:

Agreed. The original Italian version is the best. The singing of it at the Italia 90 opening ceremonies was probably the best performance ever seen at a World Cup. 

I found a better version with singers present through out the whole song. I remember this is directly from the live broadcast. 

Un'estate Italiana (An Italian Summer)

Maybe it won't be a song
To change the rules of the game
But I want to live this adventure like this
Without borders and with your heart in your mouth
And the world in a carousel of colors
And the wind caresses the flags
A thrill comes and takes you away
And melts madness in an embrace
Magic Nights
Chasing a goal
Under the sky
Of an Italian summer
And in your eyes
Desire to win
One summer
One more adventure
That dream that begins as a child
And that takes you further and further
It is not a fairy tale and from the changing rooms
The boys come out and it's us
Magic Nights
Chasing a goal
Under the sky
Of an Italian summer
And in your eyes
Desire to win
One summer
One more adventure
Magic Nights
Chasing a goal (chasing a goal)
Under the sky
Of an Italian summer
And in your eyes
Desire to win
One summer
One more adventure
An adventure
One more adventure
A goal adventure!
Edited by lamptern

1 hour ago, red card said:

France 98 theme song should have made top 10.

Youssou N'Dour & Axelle Red - La cour des grands

It did make the top ten.   i was shocked that they excluded "Hot Hot Hot" from Mexico 86.  Thats a song that you still hear often today.

Edited by Free kick

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You could argue their qualifying path was harder than many African sides. They tend to be tough and orderly, I wouldn't like to face them. And of course motivation, and playing close to home, is always a factor. 

And beating The Americans will be a bigger motivation. Especially in there own backyard

One thing I am finding interesting, if not bizarre, is how equally confident the American pundits are that they can challenge England for 1st place in the group and see themselves as easy favourites over whoever comes out of the Euro playoff, while the English are saying that the US will be an easy victory for them, and the Scots & Welsh fans are calling themselves favourites to beat the US if they make it through to the World Cup. Not sure I've seen such an extreme example of each team's fans/pundits calling themselves the consensus favourites to win.

It would be funny if Ukraine qualify and they and Iran make it out of the group.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

One thing I am finding interesting, if not bizarre, is how equally confident the American pundits are that they can challenge England for 1st place in the group and see themselves as easy favourites over whoever comes out of the Euro playoff, while the English are saying that the US will be an easy victory for them, and the Scots & Welsh fans are calling themselves favourites to beat the US if they make it through to the World Cup. Not sure I've seen such an extreme example of each team's fans/pundits calling themselves the consensus favourites to win.

It would be funny if Ukraine qualify and they and Iran make it out of the group.

If Ukraine get to Qatar and they end up with Iran, USA and England, Ukraine easily becomes better than Iran and USA. No one wants to see Ukraine.

On 4/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, Gian-Luca said:

I'll take the bait. No-one is wanting others to tremble. That's the polar opposite end of the spectrum to showing no respect whatsoever, there is a gulf bigger than the Gulf of Mexico between those two extremes. Since he mentioned Morocco and not Canada, you may well ask which team is deserving of more respect based on the teams they beat to qualify, Morocco or Canada? Hint: one of these two teams didn't face a Top 60 nation on the way to qualifying, and it wasn't Canada...

I wonder if this lack of respect is limited to journalists or do the managers share it also I'm hoping the latter. It will make victory all the more sweeter.

Edited by Sal333