2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

8 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think there is a difference though between the pundits/journalists and the idiot fan boys on social media. Herculez Gomez yesterday admitted that the US were extra fired up to play England in 2010 when they saw the infamous "EASY" cover page for one of the UK tabloids (EASY ran down the page, E for England, A for Algeria, S for Slovenia and Y for Yanks", and ultimately that game went far better for the US (who ended up topping the group). When the pundits/

By comparison, I suspect the Canadian players would only laugh if they were to see the video from that Croatian Cretin that you posted (even if I would love it if he, given that he's from LA, happened to run into Doneil, Max & Raheem on a grocery shopping trip at the local supermarket). He's  clearly trolling the fans, not to be taken seriously. The Spanish twit interviewed from Sky isn't trolling other fans, he's reflecting an honestly-felt contemptuous attitude towards Canada that they aren't even listed as a possibility to get out of the group. That sort of stuff could be used as motivation for the team - in fact the same stuff happened at the 2000 Gold Cup where the team was shat upon by the journalists before the tournament started. It might not be a bad idea to start a thread just keeping track of all the disrespectful comments from pundits & journalists if it helps, Herdman (who probably reads this forum) can just click on the thread and choose which ones to pin up on the dressing room wall.

Most pundits everywhere would say that Canada has little chance to make it out of the group. But as I say, wherever I go, whether to my barber, or a Peruvian restaurant, or speaking to a friend of my son, everyone I meet is interested to see how Canadian players and the team are on the rise. 

Most Spaniards are in fact not that arrogant about the National Team, not at all. even with the run of the Eurocups and WC, they were so pessimistic for such a long time they are more locked into that reserved, rather suspecting way of seeing their team. They are extremely critical in general, and then there is a major undercurrent against Luis Enrique (since he calls more Barça players than from Madrid,  he seems to be making odd choices in call-ups.) Even with Spain recently destroying Germany in a friendly 6-0 (which Neuer has spoken of in the aftermath of the draw), or the good results at the Euro or Nations League (penalties vs. Italy, then a suspect penalty vs. France), I don't find anything but caution here. 

The only thing that Spain really has going for it is possession: if you play Spain you see the ball very little and your chances are few and far between, that also goes for Germany.

That said: all of the top teams feel they have to make quarter finals at least to be able to say they met their goals. 

29 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think there is a difference though between the pundits/journalists and the idiot fan boys on social media. Herculez Gomez yesterday admitted that the US were extra fired up to play England in 2010 when they saw the infamous "EASY" cover page for one of the UK tabloids (EASY ran down the page, E for England, A for Algeria, S for Slovenia and Y for Yanks", and ultimately that game went far better for the US (who ended up topping the group). When the pundits/

By comparison, I suspect the Canadian players would only laugh if they were to see the video from that Croatian Cretin that you posted (even if I would love it if he, given that he's from LA, happened to run into Doneil, Max & Raheem on a grocery shopping trip at the local supermarket). He's  clearly trolling the fans, not to be taken seriously. The Spanish twit interviewed from Sky isn't trolling other fans, he's reflecting an honestly-felt contemptuous attitude towards Canada that they aren't even listed as a possibility to get out of the group. That sort of stuff could be used as motivation for the team - in fact the same stuff happened at the 2000 Gold Cup where the team was shat upon by the journalists before the tournament started. It might not be a bad idea to start a thread just keeping track of all the disrespectful comments from pundits & journalists if it helps, Herdman (who probably reads this forum) can just click on the thread and choose which ones to pin up on the dressing room wall.

I was debating whether to even post the video from that idiot.    Usually, i will only post something from a source whose getting paid for work that they do in covering soccer.  But your point is valid about the sky sports pundit.  The fact that he spanish doesn't really matter to me because you will hear similar stuff from even from supposedly credible soccer sources.   Here is one from France.  not as obvious as the sky spots guy.  but similar

I like the idea of a disrepecting canada thread 

Edited by Free kick

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So here's my assessment of the draw, our prep, our group.

1-Loved that we were last and the only team that knew where it was going before it was drawn. I found the whole draw truly exciting and was thrilled by where we ended up, it was actually quite entertaining. I left home after elated.

2-Nations League is an impediment to our prep and basically means we have to delay it, while the already-qualified Euro teams were already prepping last week. June will not be ideal for friendlies coming off competitive matches and possibly tired, with knocks, short training. Basically, for the last year we have mostly played and trained very little. 

3-Friendlies. We need a Euro rival and a North African rival in September. Then another good challenge to get tone in the immediate lead up. It is not just proximity, but the fact is, players from the Magreb are different from those in Sub-Saharan Africa, as is playing mentality and style. I would also prefer to play teams qualified for the WC, since their intensity will be like ours. I'd be fine with Serbia and Tunisia, for example. Or if not available, Switzerland (always with a lot of Balkans players) and Saudi Arabia, or Emirates, just to start to click into the regional feel. I am also fine with playing all friendly matches away. 

We get a very short learning curve, IMO too short, to make these friendlies as useful as they should be. I suspect we'll go into the 1st match feeling we are a couple of friendlies short of fully ready

4-It's a good group and it would have been hard to get a better one. Mind you, we were dropped into Pot 4 by Tunisia. Would you prefer the Tunisia group, with France, Denmark and the winner of the intercontinentals (say Perú)? Not sure, fairly similar or even a bit worse. Okay draw for Canada.

5-Based on our performances away vs. Mexico and the States, we have to aspire to something similar vs. the Euro teams. I think both are accessible, we are not favoured but not extreme underdogs. No match is a write off, we have to seek points vs. Belgium and go from there. Our greatest asset: we have names especially up front that worry our rivals. Just that, the fact that rivals will feel they need to adjust and be careful, is the one major difference for Canada for this WC. One draw and a win may take us through.

6-Belgium. Great keeper, one of the best in the world. CBs are a bit old and I think we can cause them problems. Some players are off form, like Hazard. More danger in attacking mids and strikers, but not extremely tricky up front either. If you close down De Bruyne and Lukaku, a bit of Carrasco, you can basically reduce their entire level drastically; but you have to try to challenge the midfield so that can't transition into attack. For me, after Lukaku, attacking drops sharply. Balanced serious side, consistent, tight, but as we saw at Euros: not perhaps the strongest team mentally. I personally think they are soft-ish. Coach is one of those Catalans, like the one I married.

7-Croatia. Great legacy players but also aged and on a slight decline. Only came first in group on a late own-goal last fixture vs. Russia. Keeper  not so great, plays for D Zagreb, but they gave up very few goals qualifying vs. Russia, Slovakia, so I may be wrong. Or the Lille keeper, also defective. Vida vice-captain in back line is getting older, seems to be better for Croatia than for Besiktas. Kovacic in the middle supports Modric, still a great player, dangerous playmaker, and having a superb club year--hopefully the next 6 months takes its toll. Luckily no Rakitic, who could still hurt us. Kramaric and Perisic up top, both less dangerous than our strike team. They don't have pure wingers and play through the middle, so need to clog them up; also frees up our outside players. Weaker than Belgium.

8-Morocco. Have seen quite a few play in Spain, a competent balanced team and not erratic, with a good group mentality. Bounou or Bono, keeper, born in Montreal, is on a solid career curve and is solid: not considered amongst the top in Spain though. Often play back three with wingbacks, best CB is Saïss at Wolves, the others are not at a high level. Achraf at PSG was born in Madrid, is young and is dangerous attacking up the right side--Davies match up here will be a good one. Amrabat in the middle has been on a solid curve, now at Fiore, while Fajr seems to be in decline (played vs Spain last WC). Quite a bit of dynamic, quick talent in attack, and diverse, with En Nesyri, Munir, though Tissoudali in Belgium is worse than what we have, then there El Kaabi who is Adekugbe's teammate at Hatayspor, no idea what he is like really. Not necessarily that much worse than the other rivals.

9-Overall: we have a better attacking four (Larin, David, Davies and Tajon, say), than all our rivals. Our outside play, wings, wingbacks, is also stronger than all rivals, we broaden the field and play up the flanks. We may have problems handling the skilled mids of Croatia and Belgium, and may have to be as worried about attacking mid talent as striking talent for all teams. Can't sit back then, we have to meet them in the middle to reduce striking options. Our CBs are clearly below the level of all rivals, on paper; Borjan is as good as Bounou IMO, better than the Croats. We line up rather well. As I suggested above, we do need points vs. the European rivals and could get them. We should try to avoid meeting Morocco with the idea they are ours to beat. They will all fear our speed and finishing up top. 

10-Canada roster. The only likely players to emerge are in MLS. We'll get a few transfers next summer, such as David, which may increase our prestige even more.

The entire group is fine, some areas are strong: attack including finishing, wing play, speed, half our midfield, defensive discipline, our keeping.

But some things cannot be improved through recruiting: attacking in the air, set piece efficiency, defensive experience. Midfield control. Our weakest links, it seems, are defending in the air, and the quality of some mids like Kaye, Piette, who are a step below what a WC team needs. 

I personally do not think anyone will emerge in these final months, so any aspects we see as lacking will not be remedied by roster, only be coaching. 

11-Prediction (wild one): we finish with 4 points, behind Belgium, 9 and ahead of Croatia, 2. No idea if we'll get the tie-breaker in our favour. Chances in a round of 16 vs Spain or Germany are rather low, worse than against our group rivals.

We have a better attacking four than Belgium? Dude, that's real homerism right there lol

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Most pundits everywhere would say that Canada has little chance to make it out of the group. But as I say, wherever I go, whether to my barber, or a Peruvian restaurant, or speaking to a friend of my son, everyone I meet is interested to see how Canadian players and the team are on the rise. 

Most Spaniards are in fact not that arrogant about the National Team, not at all. even with the run of the Eurocups and WC, they were so pessimistic for such a long time they are more locked into that reserved, rather suspecting way of seeing their team. They are extremely critical in general, and then there is a major undercurrent against Luis Enrique (since he calls more Barça players than from Madrid,  he seems to be making odd choices in call-ups.) Even with Spain recently destroying Germany in a friendly 6-0 (which Neuer has spoken of in the aftermath of the draw), or the good results at the Euro or Nations League (penalties vs. Italy, then a suspect penalty vs. France), I don't find anything but caution here. 

The only thing that Spain really has going for it is possession: if you play Spain you see the ball very little and your chances are few and far between, that also goes for Germany.

That said: all of the top teams feel they have to make quarter finals at least to be able to say they met their goals. 

Fair point.  I think I lumped European into the same bucket un fairly.  No doubt, when it comes to being self absorbed and arrogant, some are worst than other.  What i was thinking of is some of the BBC podcasts i listened to yesterday.    They were exalted and claiming that they could not have gotten a easier group.  I couldnt believe the arrogance.    How can they be unaware that they have NOT ever beaten the Americans at a world cup.   They lost in 1950 and drew 1-1 in 2010.  I watched that 2010 game.   

Edited by Free kick

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

Fair point.  I think I lumped European into the same bucket un fairly.  No doubt, when it comes to being self absorbed and arrogant, some are worst than other.  What i was thinking of is some of the BBC podcasts i listened to yesterday.    They exhaulted at claiming that they got a easy group.   How can they be unaware that they have NOT ever beaten the Americans at a world cup.   the lost in 1950 and drew 1-1 in 2010.

Knowing the US and Mexico, I would say if you got them, you got an easy group as for Pot 2 teams.

But just as England should be cautious about the US (also, because both teams are rather young), the US should be careful about Iran, who have hurt them at WCs before. I remember watching the Iran-US from 98 at a large café in Perpignan, France (it was played in Lyon), full of North African immigrants, and boy was that a party.

Knowing us, I'd say we are the nastiest Pot 4, the more I look at our group, the most balanced I see it. Maybe I am delusional.

52 minutes ago, Metro said:

In other news, the Sun is, once again, trying too hard:

FPUbL8AXIAQX_p7?format=jpg&name=900x900

I would just like to mention I miss the pull outs you'd get in the football rags back in the day.  League Ladders, various cup stickers, blah, blah, blah.  

LOL.  Going to head down to the shopping centre see if they have any editions of The Sun yet.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Knowing the US and Mexico, I would say if you got them, you got an easy group as for Pot 2 teams.

But just as England should be cautious about the US (also, because both teams are rather young), the US should be careful about Iran, who have hurt them at WCs before. I remember watching the Iran-US from 98 at a large café in Perpignan, France (it was played in Lyon), full of North African immigrants, and boy was that a party.

Knowing us, I'd say we are the nastiest Pot 4, the more I look at our group, the most balanced I see it. Maybe I am delusional.

Yes, I am finding a lot of American pundits are curiously underrating Iran and taking them for granted. The US will be up against a very motivated team once again.

Edited by Gian-Luca

They lost to Iran in 1998.   

I think that some self criticism can be very healthy for setting up the proper environment for success.   During WCQ we would hear a lot this out of Mexico.  I wouldnt rule out Mexico for R16 again.   Maybe it went to far in their case and i agree that too much can lead to toxicity.   But the flip side is the English.  It seems that every single World cup we keep hearing how they are unbeatable and cant possibly lose.  I even got caught up in that stuff in the past.   Like world cups where Beckham and Co was around.  And then you actually see them setup in a low block against Brazil in 2002 with 10 men behind the ball, then you start to ask yourself: what was I thinking?   yeah, they will criticise after the fact, but that's not when it is important.  

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I'd like to see Canada take on a top opponent, but would prefer it was one from Europe. It would make sense for preparation. 

The Dutch seem like a good fit for that. An African team might be good prep as well. Maybe Senegal.  

Though, we did play Argentina in 2010 away. Not our finest 90 minutes, so there may be some unfinished business to attend to. Fte

With all due respect playing Argentina/ Uruguay is like playing Italy/Spain Croatia / Serbia for instance.  Even Chile and Paraguay can be similar too as any European team. 

Ditto this, Brazil, Perú Colombia Venezuela Bolivia are different based on skill.  Ecuador under Alfaro is different too based on athletic.   

6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

This guy's picture should serve as the sole defintion for "assh*t" in the dictionary.  

He is true in one thing.  Concacaf rosters have diminished over the years.  All of them better senior players Honduras Mexico USA C R T& T Jamaica and Canada too.  Canada had better rosters on paper from 2004 to 2016 n my opinion player by player.  

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good insight that changed after WC 2006.  Spain used to be a team committed with dirty backs and holdings mid mostly basques or catalunyans whom they aren't true Spaniards at all.  Their Style was similar to the Irish.  The nickname was "La furia". " The fury/ the anger" .   they had flair players in the past but they settled with that combative put them under pressure style that Jack Charlton made so  famous Eire in worldwide football 

Yesterday on the Radio 100% football "La Red"  in Buenos Aires former world cup players Mancuso, Chino Tapia, Esteban "Celtic" Gonzalez,  Ubaldo Fillol they named Canada and Japan as dark horses. 

Even former football coach and player Hector "Bambino" Veira, the childhood hero of anerican-argentinian-danish football mad Viggo Mortensen,  asked "why all of you are choosing Canada?  " as dark horses.  I wanna watch them on TV.  I heard some reviews but I couldn't watch them live on ESPN

20 hours ago, lamptern said:

I like "To be Number One" (1990 Italy) more than any other official songs so far.

Agreed. The original Italian version is the best. The singing of it at the Italia 90 opening ceremonies was probably the best performance ever seen at a World Cup. 

5 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

He is true in one thing.  Concacaf rosters have diminished over the years.  All of them better senior players Honduras Mexico USA C R T& T Jamaica and Canada too.  Canada had better rosters on paper from 2004 to 2016 n my opinion player by player.  

There’s no way you can actually believe that the 2013-2015 Canada teams had a better roster than our current roster, right? Those years where we looked like we could play for 900 minutes and not score … where Ledge (god bless him) was a locked in starter while playing 2nd division Sweden, and Marcus Haber was one of our most consistent scoring threats?

1 minute ago, Addona said:

There’s no way you can actually believe that the 2013-2015 Canada teams had a better roster than our current roster, right? Those years where we looked like we could play for 900 minutes and not score … where Ledge (god bless him) was a locked in starter while playing 2nd division Sweden, and Marcus Haber was one of our most consistent scoring threats?

You forgot to mention the conributions Unattached FC.

51 minutes ago, Addona said:

that 2013-2014 team could have been special if Canada got most our players. Cavallini basically quit the team from 2012-2015, Jonathan de Guzmán choosing the Netherlands, Begovic going to Bosnia. If Hoilett , Arfield , Wotherspoon signed up with Canada in their early 20s

2013-2014 - you  had Edgar in his prime , Hutch in his prime, still had Dero playing, Johnson in his Prime, Jackson in his prime, Hainault, Jakovic, Henry , Borjan, de Guzmán, de Jong, McKenna, Simpson , Hume, Bernier, Dunfield etc

Honestly looking back, we were only a few pieces away plus a real manager. 

Edited by SpecialK

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Iran have some good players. I think they have a good shot at beating the US again.