2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

2 hours ago, Metro said:

😄 After each country is drawn from the pot, the respective NT Manager can walk up unto the stage with Infantino for a big man-hug and picture!!

Or more likely Infantino asks the NT managers to bender over and take it......like a man. That goes for all the NT teams except the favoured top 6 or 7. They get the man-hug and the picture. This is FIFA we're talking about.

3 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

The fact that TSN is actually sending personnel to Doha for the draw speaks big words. Can't wait for the show.

Given they have the rights for the World Cup (and those aren't cheap) they better be sending people. I bet you for Qatar they'll have LOADS of insiders and staff on location. It's the biggest event in the world and they should treat it as such. 

5 minutes ago, ShaneC06 said:

Given they have the rights for the World Cup (and those aren't cheap) they better be sending people. I bet you for Qatar they'll have LOADS of insiders and staff on location. It's the biggest event in the world and they should treat it as such. 

Don't think they've sent personnel to previous WC draws. But I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

Only when it was in Ottawa for WWC 15. CBC also hasn't sent anybody for the draw. But unlike TSN, CBC has sent at least 1 person for certain World Cups like Brasil.

With their Olympic & news experience, CBC was good at capturing the flavour of the off pitch action while TSN covered it as just a sports event. The local Toronto news shows did a better job by covering all the celebrations on the streets after every big matches. When BEIN was at its height, it also had a nightly show that was good at capturing all the cultural flavours of the local country and visiting supporters. 

RDS coverage starts 30 minutes earlier at 1030 EDT with a Qatar preparations show. But they end it earlier at 1330 vs 1500 for TSN.

Unlike in the past, Fox is showing it on FS1 rather than main FOX.

Edited by red card

FIFA juggles next week’s World Cup draw protocols with three slots left open - Inside World Football

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet.  But this piece confirms that they will principally be using rankings to allocate countries in each pot.  This is what we thought but i don't think it was ever before now.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

I think you are right.  People keep mentioning that TSN have the rights but they've had the rights since 1990.  They are obviously treating the coverage for this one a little differently. 🙂

1 hour ago, Metro said:

I think you are right.  People keep mentioning that TSN have the rights but they've had the rights since 1990.  They are obviously treating the coverage for this one a little differently. 🙂

CBC showed 3 World Cups since 1990 after first showing the World Cup in 82 and then 86. But TSN was usually their partner in showing evening match replays and when matches were on at the same time. 

Before 82, you had to go a theatre to watch it.

6 minutes ago, red card said:

Herdman won't be at the draw in Doha. He's flying back to Toronto and looks like he'll be watching it in TSN's studio.

So, President Nick maybe the CSA rep at the draw. 

Or why not send Jason DeVos or the other coaching staff to Doha for the Draw 

11 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Someone help me with this

When I'm watching the draw.. once I see Mexico & USA come up, we can't be drawn in to those groups?

Correct.

If we're in Pot 3 the only group limitations will be

• Can't be drawn into the same group as US/Mexico
  • AFC teams can't be drawn into the same group as Qatar
  • Three UEFA teams can't be in the same group so Serbia/Poland can't be in groups with two European teams

If we're in Pot 4 it is a lot more complicated.

Edited by theaub

10 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

When I'm watching the draw.. once I see Mexico & USA come up, we can't be drawn in to those groups?

7 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

I think so…I don’t think 2 teams from same confederation can be in a group.

Correct, with the exception of UEFA teams since there are so many. In that case there can be max two UEFA teams in a group

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

And if we get to pot three, we won't get New Zealand either, because they're against Costa Rica. 

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

And if we get to pot three, we won't get New Zealand either, because they're against Costa Rica. 

Sure but that will come out after us. I just want to be able understand our probabilities as I watch in real time.

I think they go thru pot 1 entirely... then on to pot 2 etc etc