2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

33 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Spanish guys also said "Japan is an easy team for Spain"..seems a tad overconfident

Spanish people are the most racist of all and they still are a Monarchy.  Ask Bale he has been treated like a slacker by media and also traffic police and ordinary people in Madrid.  I lived in Barcelona they treated me better because Catalunya and Argentina have a bond because of Franco they love Argentinians but Catalans are very racists too and elitists.  I got lucky because I'm blond and blue eyes because of my Irish Italian Basque ancestry.

15 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Argentina vs Mexico has been cancelled for friendly.  Afa is seeking Canada as replacement 

I'd like to see Canada take on a top opponent, but would prefer it was one from Europe. It would make sense for preparation. 

The Dutch seem like a good fit for that. An African team might be good prep as well. Maybe Senegal.  

Though, we did play Argentina in 2010 away. Not our finest 90 minutes, so there may be some unfinished business to attend to. 

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Some Bulletin Board material for our boys - here's a Spanish journalist giving us no respect whatsoever (wait until the last moments of the video):

Extrapolating the "Spanish" opinion from one guy interviewed by Sky, who is an unknown journalist, is a bit much. Immediately after the draw, Chapi Ferrer who does colour for Spain broadcasts went into a detailed analysis of Japan and how good they are. Since so many Spaniards have played in Japan (Iniesta does now, Torres did, others), they tend to have some idea and the perspective is quite respectful. Besides having strong Japanese players here, like Kubo, recently Inui.

As for Canada, we heard Robert Martínez, another Spaniard and Belgium coach, praising Canada and perfectly aware of what we are capable of. No one I speak to here disses us, they love to talk about Canada and how we are on the rise.

Though @JAVIERFsince you are pushing it: the most absolutely arrogant football fans in Spain are the Argentines, along with the English. I realise Argentines are obsessed about Spain, but you know perfectly well there is tremendous respect and admiration for everything about Argentine (and Brazilian) football here, and the feeling is not mutual. 

If you want we can just ask who are the most hated fans in South American, you know the answer.

The monarchy comment: so is Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium--and essentially Canada is monarchist in legacy. While amongst republics like Argentina we have the US, France and Russia, have fun with that reasoning.

For you to go on about "racism" in Spain, shows the extreme nature of the Argentine mentality, of course dominated by people from economic elites who walk into Spanish society with an even more colonial mentality than most Spaniards would have. By far the most classist and elitist of all South Americans here. Let's not mention the absolute racist disdain towards people who are Peruvian, Bolivian,  indigenous from the Andes. Because of course no Argentine would be caught dead with indigenous blood.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

44 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am perfectly you content to have media and opposition continue to underestimate us.  No problems with the idea of opponents coming into games thinking they will steamroll us.  

Yes,  This is a very good point.    Over the next 8 months, we will have to get used to this.    I have been scouring some of the media videos from other languages like French and i am seeing/hearing  similar stuff like what we heard from the sky sport guy.   This is an advanatge

Like it or not we are unknown in this sport.   And Europe and European mentalities are very insular and self absorbed.   I was listening to some podcasts from BBC.  You usually cant beat the BBC for in depth quality.  And even them,  if it wasnt for the fact that John Herdman is English,  you wouldnt think that Canada is even in the World cup.  

EDIT.:  this is why i always root for concacaf sides at past world cups.

Edited by Free kick

59 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Some trash talk here:

For those who are interested in this stuff

In fairness, he makes some highly convincing & persuasive arguments. Canada sucks because:

- we chose to play games in such places as Edmonton, Toronto and Minnesota

- this isn't the World Cup of Hockey or Curling

- just because

I also liked his chiding the Belgian team for their best players aging before boasting that Croatias star players include Modric and Perisic who will have a combined age of 70 by the time the World Cup happens, there's nothing at all contradictory about that.

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes,  This is a very good point.    Over the next 8 months, we will have to get used to this.    I have been scouring some of the media videos from other languages like french and i am seeing similar stuff like what we heard from the sky sport.   

Like it or not we are unknown in this sports.   And Europe and European mentalities are very insular and self absorbed.   

I think if you look at the groups, the only teams that should be feeling confident about winning theirs are Netherlands, England, Argentina, France and Brazil. Portugal could as well, you could understand that. 

Spain and Germany are very wary of each other, and in our group the Belgians are not overconfident about Croatia, simply because despite the ranking, Belgium has yet to do anything of note with this great generation. 

The more I look at it, the more I feel we have the most balanced group. We are also the only Pot 4 team that rivals really worry about when it comes to our attacking options and speed on the counter, the only Pot 4 team that rivals will make adjustments for (barring what may happen with the Wales playoff.)

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

It’s funny how people who don’t pay attention to concacaf are saying that the USA and Mexico are weaker than ever because they finished behind Canada and the whole region is crap. The quality of Concacaf has improved so much in the last 5 years and it makes Canadas 1st place finish even more impressive IMO. Our players are underrated, underpaid and under appreciated world wide and that’s why I don’t like it when people compare transfer market values. They have diminishing returns or their value is effected by the appeal of nationality and their kit sales etc. Not saying Eustaquio is as good as de Bruyne but is de Bruyne 24 times better? 

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

In fairness, he makes some highly convincing & persuasive arguments. Canada sucks because:

- we chose to play games in such places as Edmonton, Toronto and Minnesota

- this isn't the World Cup of Hockey or Curling

- just because

I also liked his chiding the Belgian team for their best players aging before boasting that Croatias star players include Modric and Perisic who will have a combined age of 70 by the time the World Cup happens, there's nothing at all contradictory about that.

Just to be fair, I have heard a lot from fans of other places about Modric being old and past his prime, but am surprised no one has actually watched him this year. Or at least their knock-out vs. PSG: he was amazing, an absolute master. He is also scoring. He's a genius of a player still, and then they have Brozovic who many are saying is one of the better playmakers in Serie A this year (I have not paid much attention).

We have a similar problem vs. both Croatian and Belgium, to render ineffective their creative mids who link with the attackers. It is not about physicality either, it is about our DM system I would say. In any case, I think it can be done, and to be honest, I am sort of hoping age catches up with Luka in the next half year.

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yes,  This is a very good point.    Over the next 8 months, we will have to get used to this.    I have been scouring some of the media videos from other languages like french and i am seeing similar stuff like what we heard from the sky sport.   

Like it or not we are unknown in this sports.   And Europe and European mentalities are very insular and self absorbed.   

I think there is a difference though between the pundits/journalists and the idiot fan boys on social media. Herculez Gomez yesterday admitted that the US were extra fired up to play England in 2010 when they saw the infamous "EASY" cover page for one of the UK tabloids (EASY ran down the page, E for England, A for Algeria, S for Slovenia and Y for Yanks", and ultimately that game went far better for the US (who ended up topping the group). When the pundits/

By comparison, I suspect the Canadian players would only laugh if they were to see the video from that Croatian Cretin that you posted (even if I would love it if he, given that he's from LA, happened to run into Doneil, Max & Raheem on a grocery shopping trip at the local supermarket). He's  clearly trolling the fans, not to be taken seriously. The Spanish twit interviewed from Sky isn't trolling other fans, he's reflecting an honestly-felt contemptuous attitude towards Canada that they aren't even listed as a possibility to get out of the group. That sort of stuff could be used as motivation for the team - in fact the same stuff happened at the 2000 Gold Cup where the team was shat upon by the journalists before the tournament started. It might not be a bad idea to start a thread just keeping track of all the disrespectful comments from pundits & journalists if it helps, Herdman (who probably reads this forum) can just click on the thread and choose which ones to pin up on the dressing room wall.