2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

Belgium have taken over from Spain the title of "near men of world football," so a ton of pressure on them.  The match up has a similar feel to Portugal losing to the USA a few WCs back.  Croatia seems like an aging side but perhaps one with enough craftiness to frustrate our attack and exploit our weaknesses.  Morocco has a wild card/underestimate-to-your-peril quality.   Overall, I like the group for us.

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

To play friendlies, you play friendlies against opponents similar to your World Cup opponents so 

Canada vs Netherlands (Belgium)

Canada vs Algeria or Egypt (Morocco)

Canada vs Serbia (Croatia)

Are these teams ethnically similar or tactically/stylistically similar? Honest question, because I don't know how the international squads set up.

12 minutes ago, Free kick said:

One point that hasnt been mentioned yet.   None of the teams (that I am aware of) in our group is known for a huge traveling fan base.   so tickets shouldnt be too to scarse.  

I have read Belgian media in the past whereby they're pleading with fans to make the trip to other WC's and euros.   Croatia is better.   but all of these countries arent huge populous countries. 

Interesting point. I caught both a Morocco and Belgium match in Russia 2018, and they both had huge numbers and were extremely passionate (especially the Moroccans). The majority of Moroccan supporters I interacted with were from the diaspora - lots from France and Holland who made the trip. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I honesty think we can run Croatia into the ground.

The problem with longer term NT managers is they stick too long with guys past their due date, the guys that did the job for them in the past.  I don't know how Croatia have looked in qualifying but they disappointed at the Euros so you are left to speculate what their old guard supporting cast have left in the tank.

7 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

A bit of both on all fronts but it makes sense doesn't it not

It makes some sense, but part of me thinks you try to get fixtures against some of the strongest teams you can, just to dispel any doubts that might be lingering with the boys that they can hang with anyone, the way they're playing right now.

3 minutes ago, kohanz said:

It makes some sense, but part of me thinks you try to get fixtures against some of the strongest teams you can, just to dispel any doubts that might be lingering with the boys that they can hang with anyone, the way they're playing right now.

There is some definite value in that.  Our team is going to be a bundle of nerves that first game.  Having quantifiable proof that you can hang with the best would be good for calming those nerves.