2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Most teams do 2-3 friendlies right before so I expect a big prep camp prior to the WC.

Not sure that can happen this year. The international break is only 1 week before the tournament opens.

I guess a lot of teams will play friendlies with their domestic squads

Edited by narduch

Dont think Morocco should be characterized as a walk over. We can be competitive against them, but disagree with the idea they're a bad team. They can also be strengthened on paper before the World Cup if dispute between their manager and Ziyech and Mazroui is resolved before November.

1 minute ago, BigMo said:

Dont think Morocco should be characterized as a walk over. We can be competitive against them, but disagree with the idea they're a bad team. They can also be strengthened on paper before the World Cup if dispute between their manager and Ziyech and Mazroui is resolved before November.

They both retired and publicly confirmed their retirement many times after still getting called up.

One point that hasnt been mentioned yet.   None of the teams (that I am aware of) in our group is known for a huge traveling fan base.   so tickets shouldnt be too to scarse.  

I have read Belgian media in the past whereby they're pleading with fans to make the trip to other WC's and euros.   Croatia is better.   but all of these countries arent huge populous countries. 

Edited by Free kick

Yoiks, haven't been posting in a while.  I am married to a Belgian and I know all her cousins, nephews, etc are pee-ing themselves with glee as they think it is "cute" that Canada tries to qualify for the WC.  I think, on our day, Canada could give the Belgians fits and I would love to be that smug a-hole in-law poking them over a Canadian "upset".  It's an OK group for Canada I think.

51 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Really liking the look of Group F.

Was guaranteed at this point, or at least once england got the European team (please scotland or wales for the drama!)

I was really hoping for portugal, particularly when there were 4 teams left to draw and a 50% chance of that happening (?).

An opening game against Ronaldo, with all the build-up, would have REALLY got the attention of the average Canadian, many of whom can only name one active player in the world right now.

That said, world's number 1 team is a pretty good compromise for getting eyes on the product! And about the best group we could have hoped for once the first three pots were emptied!

Edited by xcalibre

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

One point that hasnt been mentioned yet.   None of the teams (that I am aware of) in our group is known for a huge traveling fan base.   so tickets shouldnt be too to scarse.  

I have read Belgian media i the past whereby the plead with fans to make the trip.   Croatia is better.   but all of these countries arent huge populous countries. 

Morocco is one of few countries that has an  expat community in Qatar. They had pretty big crowds during the Arab Cup hosted in Qatar last summer. I suspect the locals will be cheering for them as well, so I suspect they'll have skewed support in most of their games. 

Edited by BigMo