2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

24 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

I still can't believe we didn't get Group E (Spain, Germany) or D (France, Denmark). Knowing the African teams couldn't get D or F, and we couldn't get B or C, it just seemed like D or E was how it was going to end up for us. I kept thinking we were going to be the 2nd ball out and would get D, then the 3rd or 4th ball out and would get E.

I breathed a sigh of relief after seeing Ecuador go into A with Holland, Senegal and the host nation.  That would have been much worst for us.  Yes, after that B and C (with Eng and Arg) was closed out by the US and the Mexico, It was pretty much in the cards. That's a shame because both B and C would have been perfect landing spots I wanted nothing to do with G (Bra, Srb, Sui) and E (ESP and Ger) .   It was kind of like last minute bargain shopping when the store is closing and you still end up with a good deal.  That's the life of a pot 4 team.  UT mentioned a good point that had we gotten into pot 3, we would have taken tunisia spot, not a better solution.

So after 27 pages on this topic,  I am yet to see anyone complain about this draw.   This has got to be a first.    

Edited by Free kick

Once we got Mexico we got very content and glad.   Canada's best chance as it panned out was group A instead of Ecuador.  Should you have ended in pot 3 it would have been I think group D with France.   At least you got away but if you get away Spain/ Germany maybe but at WC anything can happen.  Shocking stuff!! 

As an underdog I think we can cause an upset in this group. Canada can sit back and hit them on the break with our fast wingers. IMO, our midfield is not good enough (at least I haven't seen we dominate the midfield against a good team yet, again the US at home they were dominating us in the central park) to challenge Croatia and Belgium's midfield, Both of these teams are better than Mexico and US that we faced, but we can beat them if we play smart and with a bit of luck on the day. Both of these teams will dominate possessions, controlling the tempo...etc. With Morocco, I haven't seen them play much so I'm not sure but they have some players that are playing in top teams in Europe so on paper definitely at least on the same level as us. Anything can happen in 90 minutes.

Edited by Rocho

As a man from Las Pampas and the willows we have some discussions about this 32 teams.  Some football experts on argentinian spor tv labeled Canada as dark horse.  

Candidates: 

Brazil/ then: Belgium-France-Germany-Argentina-Portugal

Deception: Spain. Netherlands- Mexico- Croatie-Uruguay

Dark Horse: Japan- Canada-Ecuador-Wales*

On Canada group.  Main problem is Canada stage fright.  Belgium starts slowly at WCups  Usually.  

I personally expect a lot of drawbacks and shocking surprises.  Heat fatigue etc.  This is gonna be a different WC.  November, shorter WC ever in this format.  Less days for full recovery.  I expect some drama there, some candidates may stumble and fall

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Belgium and Croatia are two of (likely) the oldest teams we could face, which is good news for us. I will be looking for a repeat of the 1989 Francophone Games final against Morrocco

Actualy Canada have older team than Belgium ....

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1298094/average-player-age-national-teams-qatar-world-cup/

7 hours ago, eramosat said:

I like the depth and reasonability of your post, thank you.  Not sure I would give Canada an edge in our attacking 4 over Belgium, who are just as likely to overwhelm our defense as anything.  But it's an awesome first match to show how well Herdman's tactical adjustments and preparations, honed in CONCACAF, apply to the next stage.

I am trying to figure out how your prediction came about...Belgium wins all their matches to earn 9...Croatia draw their remaining 2 for 2...and Canada and Morocco each get a win to tie at 4?  It's wild all right.

P.S.  Does Canada have anyone to help with defending in the air, who could be added/played?  It does seem even to me who is not knowledgeable to be a pretty weak link

I erred the prediction. In fact I went to sleep, and when awaking, eyes closed and the "cat" beside me rubbing at my legs, I realized my error. 

It's a bad thing when you wake up a Saturday morn thinking you need to edit a forum post. 

6 hours ago, Harambasa said:

Crazy that you have to sign up in order to have visibility on the methodology/source.  That’s the internet for you. 

Are they using top 23 in minutes, top 26?   For what time period?  Or are they trying to predict a starting 11?

How do they handle variability?  As mentioned already we have a bunch of kids and then Hutch 39 Vitoria 35 and Borjan 34.  Especially when their replacements could be Kone 19 Miller 24 and Crepeau 27

19 minutes ago, Meepmeep said:

Crazy that you have to sign up in order to have visibility on the methodology/source.  That’s the internet for you. 

Are they using top 23 in minutes, top 26?   For what time period?  Or are they trying to predict a starting 11?

How do they handle variability?  As mentioned already we have a bunch of kids and then Hutch 39 Vitoria 35 and Borjan 34.  Especially when their replacements could be Kone 19 Miller 24 and Crepeau 27

I think that lately perhaps they played without Courtois, in the friendlies, and then without the older centre backs, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, which would put their age higher. Depends who goes. Not sure, but maybe they calculated based on last call-ups, which being friendlies had younger guys in the mix. While we had both Atiba and Borjan this last window.

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Some Bulletin Board material for our boys - here's a Spanish journalist giving us no respect whatsoever (wait until the last moments of the video):

Saw that yesterday.  I found that every piece of content from Sky sport that i came across.  pretty much dismissed us

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Saw that yesterday.  I found that every piece of content from Sky sport that i came across.  pretty much dismissed us

Good… after we top our group we can boot them out in the round of 16.

No surprise here, the reporter probably didn’t even know we qualified until watching the draw. 

I expect that we are getting the same treatment from the Croatian press.