2022 World Cup Draw

Jedi Ram

"April 1 : Final Draw for the World Cup Qatar 2022

The draw for the group stage of the tournament will take place in Doha on Friday, April 1, 2022.  At this point, 30 out of the 32 participants will be known, with the remaining two being determined through the intercontinental play-offs taking place in June, having being delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic."

No additional details were released.  

SOURCE Official documents (fifa.com) - FIFA Annual Report 2021 - Page 8

72nd Congress will begin on March 31, which IMHO, will reveal the pots and draw procedures as they would formally be approved.

They usually do the live version of the draw on their website by showing teams as they are moved out of pots and into the groups.   So you can follow along without needing a streamed video of the telecast.  That way anyone should be able to follow it on their phone.  I am assuming that this is what they will do.  

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

They usually do the live version of the draw on their website by showing teams as they are moved out of pots and into the groups.   So you can follow along without needing a streamed video of the telecast.  That way anyone should be able to follow it on their phone.  I am assuming that this is what they will do.  

I'm pretty sure FIFA will livestream the draw on their YouTube channel. I feel like draws are often livestreamed.

41 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I'm pretty sure FIFA will livestream the draw on their YouTube channel. I feel like draws are often livestreamed.

They had it for the champions league, and the ballan d'or ceremony. So I'd assume so

7 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Though, this is more than watching bouncy balls. Half of it will be a celebration like ceremony for Qatar and a bit for the qualified nations/players. It's going to last at least 90 minutes. 2 hours+ if TSN provides a robust pre/after draw commentary show since Canada will be part of it.

So, it might be part of TSN's World Cup rights package to stream it.

20 hours ago, theaub said:

Is it appropriate to start drinking at 10 AM on a Friday to watch people pull balls out of a pot?  Asking for a friend.

With the 6 hour time difference between Winnipeg and Greenwich beers for breakfast has been a weekend tradition in my hours for going on 30 years.  Hasn't hurt me nun! 

On 3/3/2022 at 11:45 AM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Good Grief, that will throw the WC Draw into a mess with 3 unknown countries ? 

More importantly how will FIFA conduct the draw if that is the case ?  I really hope it doesn't change from world rankings to confederation based pots.

What are your thoughts ?

2 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

More importantly how will FIFA conduct the draw if that is the case ?  I really hope it doesn't change from world rankings to confederation based pots.

What are your thoughts ?

Yeah, banning Russia might have been the easy part.  The bigger problem might be what to do with Ukraine.  

2 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

What are your thoughts ?

I could see them postpone it for a couple weeks or more to sort it out assuming the Ukraine request is full filled.  Ideal? No but frankly after the last 2 years, adjusting and postponements is the new norm. 

3 of the 4 teams in that Ukraine bracket are ranked ahead of us at the moment. And Scotland isn't far behind so could pass us if they win both their games (especially if our results in March aren't good). So if they have to have a placeholder spot in pot 4 like we are thinking they will do for the inter confederation playoff winners then that helps our pot 3 aspirations even more. Although, that means we could draw one of these "actually a pot 2 or 3 team" as our pot 4 team.

Interesting theory from an African fan [from euro soccer forum] which I thought might be of interest;

The main thing is that Inter-Contentinal Playoff could be put in different pots based the higher of higher rank of the 2 teams contesting.

I’d expect that FIFA will allocate the South American/ Asian play off winner based on the higher ranking of the two teams which is expected to be pot3 based on Peru ranking.
Then in Pot 1: Qatar - Brazil - Argentina
Pot 2: Uruguay - Ecuador
Pot 3: Iran - South Korea - Asia/South America
Pot 4: Saudi Arabia - Japan
Pot 1 will be drawn : let’s say A Qatar -B Brazil - C Argentina
Pot 2 will be drawn : Uruguay can’t be in ( B-C) let’s say D, Ecuador can’t be in ( B-C-D) so let’s assume E
Pot 3 will be drawn: playoff winner can not be in ( A/B/C/D/E) so let’s say it’ll be F, Iran can’t be in ( A or F) so let’s assume Iran become in G, South Korea can’t be in (A or F or G) so let’s assume worst case that South Korea takes H
Pot 4 draw: Saudi Arabia can’t be in ( A-F-G-H) so Saudi can be in (B-C-E or D) , let’s say Saudi falls in B then Japan can be in (C-E-D) so let’s say Japan falls in C
The sequence of the draw should allocate firstly all Asian and South American teams by drawing them starting Pot 1 up to Pot 4.
Secondly : procedures should be done by allocating USA and Mexico and Canada in three different groups , winner of concacaf and Oceania playoff shall be in Pot 4 ( based on the ranking of the higher team) and consequently drawn in a group away from Usa, Mexico and Cañada groups.
Afterwards, all other teams can be drawn pot by pot.
Based on these procedures: the draw is well organized and extremely fair ( for example : if Australia beat Peru , so Australia deserves to be in Pot 3).

4 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

CONFIRMED... 

Poland gets a bye, no replacement team. Ukraine - Scotland postponed to June. 

SOURCE :

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/reports-ukraine-scotland-world-cup-qualifying-game-postponed/

So the World Cup Draw remains on April 1st.  And is about to get even more confusing and messy. 

Sort of buggers up my Thursday after' but nothing to complain about in the big scheme of things.  The right decision but I really don't know if this will actually provide any benefit to Ukraine.  Hard to imagine that their season will resume any time soon.

Still, the proper call.   

28 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Sort of buggers up my Thursday after' but nothing to complain about in the big scheme of things.  The right decision but I really don't know if this will actually provide any benefit to Ukraine.  Hard to imagine that their season will resume any time soon.

Still, the proper call.   

The situation may not be much better for them in June

Scotland and Poland confirmed that they are exploring of playing friendlies on March 24 as their UEFA WC qualifying match was postponed / cancelled.  My logical conclusion would be to have both countries play with each other.  Scotland has confirmed that they will play the loser of Wales-Austria match on March 29.  Loser of Sweden-Czech was supposed to play Loser of Russia-Poland as originally planned.   Sources : various news outlets online

March 24 - Wales-Austria, Sweden-Czech, Scotland vs unknown friendly, Poland vs unknown friendly.

March 29 - Scotland vs loser of Wales-Austria, Poland vs winner Sweden-Czech. Loser Sweden-Czech vs unknown friendly.

As per UEFA international match window in June - there are 4 match windows ; June 2-4, June 5-8, June 8-11 and June 12-14 where UEFA planned to play their UEFA Nations League games.  Ukraine, Scotland and winner of Wales-Austria are affected by this.  Ironically, Scotland-Ukraine were schedule to play on June 7 in League B - Group B1.

Considering Intercontinental Playoffs will play on June 13 and 14, it is likely that June 11 will be the final for Path A [the date of Game #4 of UEFA Nations League League B] and June 7 UEFA Nations League matchup would be kept as it is but instead be treated as WC Qualifying match.  

As for the WC Final Draw, I am perplexed as you are as to how they are going to do the draw.  There will be a lot of head wrangling at FIFA HQ with other Confederations.  I suspect that they would be some sort of compromise where Pot 1 and Pot 2 will be based on World Rankings and Pot 3 and Pot 4 will be based on geographically.  The reason for my thinking with more unknown countries with - UEFA, Asia, CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, there is a greater chance of having 2 countries (outside UEFA) being in the same group or even 3 UEFA in the same group.