Jamie Knight-Lebel

jordan

On 6/25/2024 at 1:22 AM, narduch said:

League Two seems pretty low

Jarell Quansah spent half a season on loan in League One as a 20-year old before impressing massively at the top end of the Premier League the following season. If this kid can do well on loan at Crewe for a season, there's no reason why he can't step up to being a Championship regular the following season. He just has to perform.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

If he starts he may actually be able to crack our lineup on the bench. League 1 and 2 have some good players that could probably be MLS level even if those leagues aren’t great compared to what MLS.

I’m a fan of the level but we have players at higher levels in his position so can’t see it. It’s an okay level for a player his age at that position but they also don’t break for internationals so probably best he stays there in any event. 

I am bullish on JKL long term, but at best he is probably 3rd behind Bombito and LDF.

That said, we'll see where things stand after he plays a full season in League One, hopefully as a starter.

Depending on what the other two lads do, he could be very much in the mix come next summer. 

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am bullish on JKL long term, but at best he is probably 3rd behind Bombito and LDF.

That said, we'll see where things stand after he plays a full season in League One, hopefully as a starter.

Depending on what the other two lads do, he could be very much in the mix come next summer. 

Crewe is in League Two, but agreed. He will be fun to keep an eye on. Maybe he plays so well that Bristol bring him in next season. Think it’ll be some time before we see him crack our squad though. Our centre back quality is growing very quickly, and anything lower than championship probably doesn’t crack the lineup. Even at that level, not too many players from our Copa roster I think he gets called over. 

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Crewe is in League Two, but agreed. He will be fun to keep an eye on. Maybe he plays so well that Bristol bring him in next season. Think it’ll be some time before we see him crack our squad though. Our centre back quality is growing very quickly, and anything lower than championship probably doesn’t crack the lineup. Even at that level, not too many players from our Copa roster I think he gets called over. 

Right. Mixed that one up, thanks for the correction. In my mind, a successful season in League One could catapult him into a starting role in the Championship with his parent club, but a successful season in League Two may not be so much. I lean towards your opinion here given that it is League Two, but let's see what happens. 

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Right. Mixed that one up, thanks for the correction. In my mind, a successful season in League One could catapult him into a starting role in the Championship with his parent club, but a successful season in League Two may not be so much. I lean towards your opinion here given that it is League Two, but let's see what happens. 

I think you are right- if he has an amazing season, maybe he gets catapulted into the championship, but I’m inclined to believe he’s got a few years to go before that happens. Think he’s realistically one for the 2030 cycle.

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

There were in the League 2 playoff final so close.

He is very well thought of, like LDF and had a similar year last year, making the bench and a quick appearance and lots of youth team. But his youth team was a level below Fulham's and so you probably say he is a tier down from LDF at the moment.  A full season against men even in League 2 will show more clearly where he is at. 

Highlights from their preseason game yesterday

He started and is #3 (from the process of elimination). Good run that maybe keeps the keeper honest/distracted? on their goal.  Tight marking on a chance against from a corner and his replacement at RCB has a horrible own goal. 

44 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think you are right- if he has an amazing season, maybe he gets catapulted into the championship, but I’m inclined to believe he’s got a few years to go before that happens. Think he’s realistically one for the 2030 cycle.

We seem to have the same "best case scenario" in mind for him. I see him possibly getting his feet wet this cycle, maybe attend a few camps or maybe even a cap, but then next cycle would be when he has an impact for Canada, if all goes well of course. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit disappointed (though you probably can't blame them) to see Crewe bought a youngish centre back from League One Bristol Rovers at the beginning of the month.  

Knight-Lebel was starting most of the preseason games with their veteran captain but this new signing Connolly gets the start on the first day of the season. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I must be a glutton for punishment. Got a Fotmob notification that he subbed on early so I switched to the Crewe game down 4-0. Never really watched him play until today.

Crewe looked so bad. Midfield just cut up so quickly with any turnovers.

Positive First impressions, looks big (6'2ish maybe). Played RCB. Quick bursts of speed. Had a couple nice passes through the middle. Looks composed with the ball. 23/26 completed passes

Negatives - just looks jumpy. Every pass to a forward, he was very aggress trying to jump the passing lane. (Not sure if it was nerves or the Crewe gameplan to be very aggressive).

Overall - played well but Crewe lost 5-0 so Chesterfield wasn't really attacking with such a big lead.

Came in for Connolly who had played every minute so far. Another young player who is owned by Crewe. The other CB that he is competing with is Demetriou, who is a veteran and plays all the minutes.

He will have to out play Connolly for minutes and it won't be easy since he is on loan and Connolly isn't. But he looked good and the Crewe did not. Hopefully he earns a start for their next game on Saturday

14 hours ago, blueseeka said:

I must be a glutton for punishment. Got a Fotmob notification that he subbed on early so I switched to the Crewe game down 4-0. Never really watched him play until today.

Crewe looked so bad. Midfield just cut up so quickly with any turnovers.

Positive First impressions, looks big (6'2ish maybe). Played RCB. Quick bursts of speed. Had a couple nice passes through the middle. Looks composed with the ball. 23/26 completed passes

Negatives - just looks jumpy. Every pass to a forward, he was very aggress trying to jump the passing lane. (Not sure if it was nerves or the Crewe gameplan to be very aggressive).

Overall - played well but Crewe lost 5-0 so Chesterfield wasn't really attacking with such a big lead.

Came in for Connolly who had played every minute so far. Another young player who is owned by Crewe. The other CB that he is competing with is Demetriou, who is a veteran and plays all the minutes.

He will have to out play Connolly for minutes and it won't be easy since he is on loan and Connolly isn't. But he looked good and the Crewe did not. Hopefully he earns a start for their next game on Saturday

Amazing insights. Thanks for this.

I noticed he came on early as well along with two other players and wondered how it went. You'd think Connolly was taken off for poor performance since they were down 4-0.

Maybe it won't be so difficult for JKL to the crack the lineup after yesterday. 

Edit: Found this post-match interview with the Crewe manager. He was pretty upset with the loss understandably, did say he'd have to shift things and said the players will have to feel repercussions for losing 5-0 at home:

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

15 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I think at this age and point it’s  just being around pros and getting some minutes.

If that was the case, he would of stayed with Bristol City who are a level higher (like he did last year).

I didn't see any of the goals so I have no idea how Connolly looked. They didn't sub out the veteran CB Demetriou. So i believe that Conolly would be the only chance at starting unless they switch formation to a back three. They did play a back three (according to Fotmob during their midweek EFL Cup match vs Rotherham). He started in the middle there (no Demetriou- rested).

Next week will be a huge chance for him, if he starts and plays well

13 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I didn't see any of the goals so I have no idea how Connolly looked. They didn't sub out the veteran CB Demetriou. So i believe that Conolly would be the only chance at starting unless they switch formation to a back three.

He coughed the ball up outside his own box and that led to the first goal. Goalie needs to be better as well, though. Starts at 1:10: