Still a Chance for Vancouver 2026?

ted

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

FIFA has a non compete clause for their events.   In other words, they request that no other major sporting event (or even no other major non-sporting event) occurs in the city hosting a fifa event during that time of the FIFA event.   This is nothing new,  this applied for the U20 WC in 2007 when it was held in Canada.

Yeah, Vancouver's withdrawal was purely about funding. Montreal's withdrawal was both funding and events. It does make Montreal's decision a little more understandable (I think the Jazz and Comedy festivals would also have been impacted).

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, Vancouver's withdrawal was purely about funding. Montreal's withdrawal was both funding and events. It does make Montreal's decision a little more understandable (I think the Jazz and Comedy festivals would also have been impacted).

Which was what i was going to get at in my post that i deleted above because my figures were wrong.

But yes, Compared to Vancouver,  Montreal’s reasons for withdrawing always seems more logical and reasonable at the time of the announcements.

19 hours ago, theaub said:

As per page 140 of the bid book, the split would be

• City 1: 4 games (Canada match #1, two other group matches, R16 match)
  • City 2: 3 games (2 group stage matches, R32 match)
  • City 3: 3 games (2 group stage matches including Canada match #2, R32 match)

The R32 match in City #2 and R16 match in City #1 would feature 1A (aka Canada's group) if they were to advance to that stage.

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/3c077448dcd5c0ab/original/w3yjeu7dadt5erw26wmu-pdf.pdf

That is why I absolutely don't buy this whole '2 match promise' BS.  

I personally am extremely looking foward to the debates when (insert city here) is named as City #1 over (insert other two cities here).

e: to save everyone a trip here is the schedule

image.png.3de12e7682de510f6bdbf67c8d1cbec4.png

Why do they refer to the third round as Round of 32 when there are only 32 teams?

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Jazz fest happening at the same time as the WC would be glorious. A real opportunity to combine all those things to make Montreal a unique and magic hosting city. Easier said that done logistically obviously. Opportunity would have been there to do something epic though. 

I have no problems with Vancouver coming on board, Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver is a great spread and hopefully means more games in Canada than just two host venues.

15 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I have no problems with Vancouver coming on board, Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver is a great spread and hopefully means more games in Canada than just two host venues.

Let be careful. Despite the words from the Premier,  there has been nothing from Montagliani nor FIFA.   There were similar stories coming out 1-2 months ago but they were shot down when Montagliani said they are going ahead with two venues for Canada.  

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Let be careful. Despite the words from the Premier,  there has been nothing from Montagliani nor FIFA.   There were similar stories coming out 1-2 months ago but they were shot down when Montagliani said they are going ahead with two venues for Canada.  

My intelligence tells me that the initial move to get Vancouver back in actually came from FIFA.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

My intelligence tells me that the initial move to get Vancouver back in actually came from FIFA.

I'm not going to read anything too much into that.  Just letting BC know the door is still open if they want in on the show.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't.  No hurt in talking about it one last time.

31 minutes ago, Dre_03 said:

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or Canada 2026 thread...

Speaking of Gov't funding. Interesting piece and timing from local Edmonton news. 

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/b641d778-8adf-11ec-8293-0242ac110005/?jwsource=cl

Certainly not a done deal in Edmonton without provincial support.  

If they're struggling to get funding when it might have been 5 games, 3 games seems like an even tougher sell.

2 hours ago, Dre_03 said:

Speaking of Gov't funding. Interesting piece and timing from local Edmonton news. 

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/b641d778-8adf-11ec-8293-0242ac110005/?jwsource=cl

Certainly not a done deal in Edmonton without provincial support.  

Adding to this. https://edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/jones-is-jason-kenney-burying-edmontons-world-cup-chances

When Horgan said the words "Three or Five Games", that's the first hint I got that should trigger concerns about the Alberta support and the Edmonton Bid.   The word "five".    No way would he have even hazard to mention 5 knowing full well that it would mean 3 games (very max 4) if there were three cities.  

Edited by Free kick

7 hours ago, Dre_03 said:

I completely hear and share your frustration or confusion!   There is whole thread on this topic with old stories and discussion that are relevant given that this is going to be topic that will be alive with stories and discussion for 5+ years.  SO IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE CONTINUITY OF DISCUSSION IN ONE THREAD SO THAT THINGS DONT HAVE TO BE REPEATED FROM WHAT WAS SAID A WHILE BACK and so that you could easily reference and followup on old info.  And find relevant links.

Unfortunately,  someone (who I shall not name) in his infinite wisdom or possible laziness had to go ahead a start an new thread for this one piece of news.    😖

@admin

Or mods:   is it possible to merge these four pages this thread into the the Thread dedicated to 2026 discussions and news?    Thank you

Here is the main thread:  Worry for Canada's 2026 bid?..... and while we are at it, why not rename it,  since there is no worry for 2026

Edited by Free kick

18 hours ago, Free kick said:

I completely hear and share your frustration or confusion!   There is whole thread on this topic with old stories and discussion that are relevant given that this is going to be topic that will be alive with stories and discussion for 5+ years.  SO IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE CONTINUITY OF DISCUSSION IN ONE THREAD SO THAT THINGS DONT HAVE TO BE REPEATED FROM WHAT WAS SAID A WHILE BACK and so that you could easily reference and followup on old info.  And find relevant links.

Unfortunately,  someone (who I shall not name) in his infinite wisdom or possible laziness had to go ahead a start an new thread for this one piece of news.    😖

@admin

Or mods:   is it possible to merge these four pages this thread into the the Thread dedicated to 2026 discussions and news?    Thank you

Here is the main thread:  Worry for Canada's 2026 bid?..... and while we are at it, why not rename it,  since there is no worry for 2026

This is a separate and distinct issue and deserves it's own thread which is why I started it. We don't always have to have threads that go on for 100's of pages.