Kyle Hiebert

Big_M

5 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Anyone else shocked by his inclusion in the final roster?

Shocked no, but a little surprised? Yes.

Not a big surprise, since Marsch called him for the friendlies and played him against France, but a little surprised because against France he looked out of his depth, despite not making any mistakes. Granted he was defending Kingsly Coman, but I don't think it gets easier against Di Maria or whoever is out on the flank for Argentina. 

So for me, Heibert is substitue and a player I would be nervous about if we see him in the opener, or in the later stages of the tournament if we get there, but against Peru and Chile, I don't yet have a reason to fear him being on the field. I think he'd hold his own if we had to use him. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I would've rather seen Lucas Pos, or Kennedy than Heibert. 

He's bad. Reminds me of a MLS 1.0 player.

LB depth:
Davies
Miller
Heibert

LCB depth:
Corneilius
Miller
Heibert

I hope we don't see him at all at the Copa. 

Might be  a joke but sorry but no.

Kennedy almost certainly has fitness issues.  No mention since coming off early the penultimate game of his season and missing the last (and crucial) one.

Pos is rated poorly on a very poor team in a league worse than MLS.

"He's bad"

He's played some 30 minutes for Canada. 

He got beat badly by one of the fastest players in the world other than that did okay against one of best attacks in the world.

Only goal against him came against Honduras when he had his man on a corner but a whole group of our players got beat by another across the box.

Sorry unless you are an avid St Louis watcher, not sure I can take a "he's bad" seriously.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

As folks know I'm not a huge fan but the Waterman callups says they don't entirely trust Miller and Hiebert. And I also think that a CB could get a card, could be threatened with missing a match for cards, or you may need to ask a sub to take a card, so the extra CB bodies are there for a reason. You could also ask Bair or Larin to defend set pieces in the box. 

Does Hiebert play LB if send Davies into the attack late?

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Might be  a joke but sorry but no.

Kennedy almost certainly has fitness issues.  No mention since coming off early the penultimate game of his season and missing the last (and crucial) one.

Pos is rated poorly on a very poor team in a league worse than MLS.

"He's bad"

He's played some 30 minutes for Canada. 

He got beat badly by one of the fastest players in the world other than that did okay against one of best attacks in the world.

Only goal against him came against Honduras when he had his man on a corner but a whole group of our players got beat by another across the box.

Sorry unless you are an avid St Louis watcher, not sure I can take a "he's bad" seriously.

I've critiqued his game many times, and watched several a few StL games this season... now I'm just giving the summary... which is "he's bad".

He's not a traditional LB, he has no agility, no speed, he can't get forward to cross is the reason why I don't want to see him there. 

I would prefer Kennedy over him, just for Kennedys speed alone. 

I don't think you've gotten the chance to watch him, and I hope it doesn't come with the mnt because that would mean we are in a crisis.

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

I've critiqued his game many times, and watched several a few StL games this season... now I'm just giving the summary... which is "he's bad".

He's not a traditional LB, he has no agility, no speed, he can't get forward to cross is the reason why I don't want to see him there. 

I don't think you've gotten the chance to watch him, and I hope it doesn't come with the mnt because that would mean we are in a crisis.

I would prefer peak Maldini but like Kennedy it seems like he's not an option right now.😉

Pos is a silly one. 

He is never going to be an elite defender at either position he generally plays because he doesn't have the size and pace.  From what I have seen, he takes up postions well, works hard and stays focused which for a 2nd/3rd choice at a couple positions is okay.  He will also be good against a lot of the teams we actually face on a regular basis. 

But can be convinced otherwise, in which games for St Louis do you think he let them down and how?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

Sounds like you've watched more STL games than me this season, but I think we both share the same general opinion of what this player is, which is someone who is limited going forward and limited physically. 

Despite these limitations, he seems to start a lot of MLS matches. What's your take on that?

Is MLS just a really poor level, or maybe STL is just a really poor club?

Or, maybye this guy just makes the most of it despite his limitations? 

From the little I have seen, his decision making is generaly good. Would you agree? If he was this limited AND consistently made errors, he wouldn't see the field, no?

Edited by Obinna

I have watched some STL games.  He was shifted to LB as a team need, not because its his position or should it be for canada.  He shouldnt be at LB for canada in anything but an emergency.  Now at CB he is more capable and it fits his speed, mobility package.  I am a big fan of his and I would still put Mcnaughton/Waterman ahead of him right now.  These 3 should be Gold cup run outs.  Bombito prob isnt any better at decision making or positioning but his speed and physical talents make up for it.  And he seems to be maturing at an amazing speed and the sky seems the limit for him.  Kennedy has been hurt so much, I'm not sure where he fits in anymore, is he the same player he was a couple years ago?  Remember when he was taking off much like bombito??    

I believe he started the MLS season mostly on the bench.

It was only in the last few weeks that he started to get starts, mostly at LB.

So they probably had an injury and need Hiebert to step in.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I have watched some STL games.  He was shifted to LB as a team need, not because its his position or should it be for canada.  He shouldnt be at LB for canada in anything but an emergency.  Now at CB he is more capable and it fits his speed, mobility package.  I am a big fan of his and I would still put Mcnaughton/Waterman ahead of him right now.  These 3 should be Gold cup run outs.  Bombito prob isnt any better at decision making or positioning but his speed and physical talents make up for it.  And he seems to be maturing at an amazing speed and the sky seems the limit for him.  Kennedy has been hurt so much, I'm not sure where he fits in anymore, is he the same player he was a couple years ago?  Remember when he was taking off much like bombito??    

Great breakdown.

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I would say Hiebert is better at those things at this point, honestly, but as you say the unteachables are off the charts with Bombito.

As yes judging him at left back is pretty off.  If he and Miller were on the pitch together I would probably put Miller out there first. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know he isn’t as highly rated as some of our other CB’s but it looks like he has started in St Louis’s last 5 games and he gets the start again tonight in their round of 16 Leagues Cup game against Club America.  Always good to have depth in defence.  

Noticed this. They conceded four goals last night, though, and he played 90. Didn't watch the game or even highlights, so I can't comment on his performance. Both Sofascore and FotMob rated him among the bottom performers, but not by much. 

Edit: Watched the highlights. Looked poor on the first goal, but he was not responsible for the others. It was 2-2 late into the game and America nabbed some late goals. Actually, he looked worse on other plays where they didn't score. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King