The Race for Pot 3

Miche

Italy miss out on a 2nd straight FIFA World Cup

Italians have no one to blame but themselves for their failure. Think about it had they done the job against Northern Ireland in the last qualifier before the playoffs, they would have qualified for Qatar automatically and Switzerland would have gone into the playoffs instead of Italy. But at the same time Italy should have gone right for the jugular and go right at North Macedonia. Where was the urgency? But now this is a 2nd straight FIFA World Cup without Italy. Just goes to show us that anythin can happen. But I think 2026 Italy will qualify especially since 2026 we get 48 teams in.

10 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

POTS UPDATE as of 19:05 EST - including updated FIFA ranking points for games played earlier today.

Based on my math for Canada max points is 1529.00 points.

image.png.f6bd44f950ff2ce043f3cdca087fdd23.png

Is this worst case scenario? Meaning, all the top ranked teams make it to the World Cup? Portugal beats out North Macedonia, Nigeria beats out Ghana, etc.

1 minute ago, TGAA_Star said:

But I think 2026 Italy will qualify especially since 2026 we get 48 teams in.

No offense to Italians, but I love that this is a sentence being said. Historically "Canada" would be put in that sentence, for optimistic fans. For pessimistic fans back in the day it would be too strong a statement.

15 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

POTS UPDATE as of 19:05 EST - including updated FIFA ranking points for games played earlier today.

Based on my math for Canada max points is 1529.00 points.

image.png.f6bd44f950ff2ce043f3cdca087fdd23.png

Great job. Jamaica is losing 1-0 early. If they lose it would drop our max points. Looks like Jam loses 13 points with a loss

8 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is this worst case scenario? Meaning, all the top ranked teams make it to the World Cup? Portugal beats out North Macedonia, Nigeria beats out Ghana, etc.

It wasn't intended as that...but yes.

I remember posting somewhere last November where our chances of getting into Pot 3 are slim to none even if we win 6 games.  The major factor that changed for us is UEFA Ukraine situation force them into Pot 4.

POTS UPDATE as of 21:40 EST - including updated FIFA ranking points for CONMEBOL and Jam-El game played.  VAR completely missed Peru's goal, robbing them a draw, which allowed Uruguay to qualify.

Based on my math for Canada max points is 1528.72 points.

image.png.3aceba46d1283c47656e51b2e99e4c8a.png

Note : BOLD are qualified teams as Ecuador and Uruguay qualified bringing it to 19 teams in. 32 additional teams are still mathematically in. 

If Portugal loses, then Denmark or Netherlands move into Pot 1 creating the domino effect in which Sweden or Senegal will move into Pot 2, and Canada moves into Pot 3. 

4 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

Need some serious help from Congo or Ghana tomorrow. Senegal winning the first leg against Egypt, but Egypt winning the tie would help us. We need to win out though now, which what Panama will have to play for in the final game, might be tough. 

Ghana is not doin shit. Ghana are trash. I already called them losing to Nigeria...straight garbage. DR Congo has a better chance of beating Morocco at home. Egypt vs Senegal could go either way but Mo Salah or Sadio Mane is missing the World Cup when both should be there is criminal but can't help how the draw was made. I'm calling it Senegal qualifies.

Here is my updated spreadsheet. To make things a bit easier to visualize, this time I put the teams that are currently ranked lower than us, but qualified to the World Cup, at the bottom of pot 4. Now it's easier to see how many more lower ranked teams we need to get in for us to make it into pot 3. Ecuador clinching last night was good for us. Oh, also note that the teams in the rightmost 3 columns that are crossed out aren't necessarily eliminated, but they can't qualify without an inter-continental playoff (i.e. Colombia, Peru, Chile).

image.png.748cd0ee1b40604e87c5832b186ed010.png

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Here is my updated spreadsheet. To make things a bit easier to visualize, this time I put the teams that are currently ranked lower than us, but qualified to the World Cup, at the bottom of pot 4. Now it's easier to see how many more lower ranked teams we need to get in for us to make it into pot 3. Ecuador clinching last night was good for us. Oh, also note that the teams in the rightmost 3 columns that are crossed out aren't necessarily eliminated, but they can't qualify without an inter-continental playoff (i.e. Colombia, Peru, Chile).

image.png.748cd0ee1b40604e87c5832b186ed010.png

So cheer for teams in bold in the CAF playoffs:

Congo vs. Morocco

Cameroon vs Algeria

Mali vs. Tunisia

Egypt vs Senegal

Ghana vs Nigeria

Useless Old Timey Baseball GIF by Team Coco

Certainly still possible, but now we need two from the following:
•Nigeria upset, or they advance with only two draws (will be close)

•Tunisia to draw at least one of their matches

•Egypt to upset Senegal, but with no more than 1 win / 1 loss or 2 draws

•DR Congo to upset Morocco

•USA or Mexico to drop into IC

•North Macedonia to upset Portugal

and also:

•Algeria to upset Cameroon, or Cameroon to only win once

We'll know A LOT more after today's CAF matches.

8 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

We need to win out though now, which what Panama will have to play for in the final game, might be tough. 

If the US and Costa Rica both win Sunday, and both will be favourites, Panama will be eliminated Sunday night.  Wednesday game is possibly very winnable.

Edited by ensco

17 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

POTS UPDATE as of 21:40 EST - including updated FIFA ranking points from yesterday's games.

Based on my math for Canada max points is 1504.57 points.

image.png.68c8dbcf57bcaa66e1926f6b3eee3ac3.png

BOLD - Qualified teams

Next updates = is around 1545 EST and 1745 EST.

Love this layoff Jedi. Hoping for the Congo vs Morocco upset