The Race for Pot 3

Miche

58 minutes ago, theaub said:

I've seen a lot of posts/blog posts etc about catching teams - who behind us do we need to worry about?   Is there any hope with a 4 point window if its the right 4 points (ie US ends up in 4th etc)

It’s possible but not probable. However, a 5 point window (or 6 point) would put us at about 1503 ranking points. Behind us are Tunisia, Cameroon, Ecuador, Saudi Arabia.

If Tunisia wins both matches against Mali, they’d pass us. Same for Cameroon vs Algeria. A win and loss (or draw) for those teams has them behind us still though. 

Also Egypt can eliminate Senegal and remain behind us if they split the games but win on aggregate.

Ecuador and Saudi Arabia can’t get to 1500 points even with 2 wins.

So basically a 5 or 6 point window sends us to pot 3 if 1 of the teams expected to finish in pot 3 doesn’t qualify (USA, Morocco, Senegal or somehow North Macedonia wins their group) AND Tunisia and Cameroon both fail to win both of their matches.

Edited by archer21

22 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The more I consider all these scenarios the more I think we just need to worry about ourselves. I'm going with 7 pts and we need Ghana to at least tie 1 of 2 with Nigeria 

Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems about as straightforward as I can get it

Unfortunately it’s not totally that straightforward. That’ll put us both on 1516 points. It’ll literally come down to tenths or hundredths of a fifa point, and will depend on what point totals our opponents are at and what total Ghana are at during the games.

For instance, if Nigeria draw the first match then win the second, they’ll end up with more points than if they win the first and draw the second. This is because they’ll be playing a team with a higher point total for the second game.

OK, I've updated my little spreadsheet with all the remaining teams that will take up the last available spots, not counting the 3 spots that are destined for Pot 4, to be determined in June.

image.png.78bda9c09e0bf77ba5026cbc7936ee10.png

A grand total of 13 teams that are currently ranked lower than us that are still in it (and of course, some of those teams are close enough that they could pass us in ranking). The more of those teams that make it in (not through a inter continental playoff), the better for us.

40 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

You could argue this is the Dual "No World Cup" Revenge Tour:

- Cristante -

- Ferdi - *

- Tomori - probably not with Southgate

- Marmoush - playing w Egypt vs. Senegal 

Anyone else I'm missing??

Morocco keeper Yassine "Bono" Bounou. He was at the previous World Cup and didn't get a single minute.

If 🇲🇦 qualify this time, he'd likely be their starting keeper. So f*ck him.

---

Also, theoretically Teal Bunbury is still active and could have gotten minutes with us ( I mean Tesho played at the Gold Cup )

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

10 hours ago, archer21 said:

2-0 now. I think our best chance now is to catch Nigeria. Just need Ghana to pull of a result in one of the 2 legs.

Edit: I think it’s possible to pass Nigeria even if we both win out, but I’m not positive. On the simulation site if you add up the points gained by each team winning out, they end up 0.05 points ahead of us. But that’s based on opponents’ points right now. Ghana will be lower and Nigeria higher for the 2nd leg, so they’d gain less points for that game than the first. And if Jamaica/Panama enter our games with more points than they have now, that could increase the amount of points we get from those games. So I think rankings wise, we should be hoping for Jamaica to beat El Salvador, and Panama to beat Honduras and USA

Ghana are doin nothing point blank nothing