The Race for Pot 3

Miche

The schedule may also be just as important as who we draw…if we were drawn into a group with one dominant, organized team, say France, we’d hope to be playing them on match day 3 (after they had ‘clinched’).  And we’d want to face a more disorganized team for Game 1.  With that said, sometimes the bigger teams take time to grow into the tournament, and we wouldn’t want to have an important player pick up 2 yellows in the first 2 games.

The prep time for each team will be a lot less than usual for this World Cup being smack in the middle of the Euro season - this might provide us with a little bit extra advantage too over traditionally better/deeper teams that have lots of rotation.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

How are we 11 days away from the World Cup draw, and no one has any idea how the draw will work? I’m so perplexed. 

Does anyone know how far in advance they announced the draw details before the 2018 draw?

Late October (draw was December 1) but in my very rare defense of FIFA everything is messed up with COVID.

22 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

How are we 11 days away from the World Cup draw, and no one has any idea how the draw will work? I’m so perplexed. 

Does anyone know how far in advance they announced the draw details before the 2018 draw?

Yeah hoping we know more soon

Draw details out

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/procedures-for-the-final-draw-for-the-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-tm-released

tl;dr - it will be based on ranking AND both the intercontinental playoff winners + delayed Euro playoff winner are in Pot 4.  

Full procedure:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/2ef762dcf5f577c6/original/Portrait-Master-Template.pdf

Edited by theaub

1 minute ago, pod818 said:

throws a pickle into things, but if the two placeholders are high seeded teams that now get bumped down to Pot4, doesn't that significantly improve our chances of getting into Pot 3?

It increases it a little.  But another way to look at it now is that if we do fall in Pot 3, chances are increased that a powerful team will be drawn with us from Pot 4. 😄...🤔...😯

Either Peru, Colombia or Chile will drop to pot 4

Peru and Chile have 2 tough games and Colombia have a couple tap ins. Don't rule out Colombia leap frogging those 2 teams. But it's still a toss up

You will see good teams bumped in to pot 4 which which could make for a tougher draw but you'll take those chances because it can also bump weaker teams in to pot 2 potentially 

29 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Either Peru, Colombia or Chile will drop to pot 4

Peru and Chile have 2 tough games and Colombia have a couple tap ins. Don't rule out Colombia leap frogging those 2 teams. But it's still a toss up

You will see good teams bumped in to pot 4 which which could make for a tougher draw but you'll take those chances because it can also bump weaker teams in to pot 2 potentially 

The twitter picture above already has them in pot 4

34 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

The twitter picture above already has them in pot 4

Peru? But my point is there is a lot to play for for that last spot in Conmebol. We don't know the team yet. If we get in to pot 3 I would rather have Peru as a potential team in Pot 4 over Colombia 

Also I'm not in complete understanding of this pt system but I see Ecuador have a nothing game against Argentina. Could an upset give them an opportunity to jump over us even if we have a strong window?

4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Peru? But my point is there is a lot to play for for that last spot in Conmebol. We don't know the team yet. If we get in to pot 3 I would rather have Peru as a potential team in Pot 4 over Colombia 

Also I'm not in complete understanding of this pt system but I see Ecuador have a nothing game against Argentina. Could an upset give them an opportunity to jump over us even if we have a strong window?

No, they’re too far behind us. And assuming we have good results, that’s 3 matches worth of points so it will help us gain on teams ahead of us if they slip up (Nigeria and S Korea).

2 hours ago, Metro said:

It increases it a little.  But another way to look at it now is that if we do fall in Pot 3, chances are increased that a powerful team will be drawn with us from Pot 4. 😄...🤔...😯

It's close, but looking at that tweet with the teams separated into their respective pots, I would prefer to be in Pot 3 and playing a team from Pot 4 rather than being in Pot 4 and playing a team from Pot 3.

Edited by Treppy2

17 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

From the pic, whichever team qualifies from the playoff either Peru/ Columbia/ Chili or Australia will end up in the 31st spot and in pot 4. Doesn't matter if they have a higher FIFA ranking or not