The Race for Pot 3

Miche

Man, Pot 2 is brutal. We can’t play the US or Mexico. I don’t want Netherlands, Germany, Denmark (very underrated), or Switzerland in our group. Leaves only Uruguay, or Croatia for me to be happy with. 

Having said that, if you offered me Qatar, but you get one of those 4 good pot 2 teams, I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

Edited by TOCanada115

I wouldn't mind Croatia as they're an older team.

But even if we're in pot 3 there's a high chance we get a tough draw. A number of the team in pot 4 scare me. I think we should brace ourselves for a difficult group. Our real only out is if we get into Group A and the Pot 4 team we get is like Tunisia.

Comparing Pots 3 and 4 (teams other than CAN and the team we swap with, i.e. TUN), assuming USA and MEX qualify:

Pot 3
2 UEFA teams: SRB, POL
3 AFC teams: IRN, JPN, KOR
2 CAF teams: SEN, MAR

Pot 4
1 UEFA team: WAL/SCO/UKR
2 likely CONMEBOL teams: ECU, likely PER/COL/CHI
2 CAF teams: ALG/CMR, GHA
1 AFC team: KSA
1 likely CONCACAF team we can't draw: likely CRC

It's close indeed, and Pot 4 could end up with arguably the 2 best of these 14 teams (WAL, PER/COL). But I tend to agree with several earlier comments that the presence of weaker teams in Pot 4 and slightly greater odds of drawing QAT if we're in Pot 3 should outweigh that.

Edited by Allez les Rouges
Odds of QAT are actually marginally greater in Pot 4 (!) due to various rules - see my later post.

I don't think it's a wild take from KJ to suggest no big difference between pot 3 & 4.

Aside from Poland and perhaps Serbia, nobody worries me. I think we'd match up well against Japan, Morocco or Iran. They are good all around without having players I would specifically worry about. South Korea, like Poland, does have one very special player, so I could put them in the Poland/Serbia category, I guess.

In pot 4, there is Algeria, who I would want to avoid for the same reasons I would want to avoid South Korea or Poland. The rest are beatable though.

So in short, I would say pot 3 gives us better odds, but I think there's a way bigger drop off between pots 2 & 3 than 3 & 4.

Another thing to consider: NZ can theoretically beat Costa Rica, so that strengthens the case for getting into Pot 3. I know most people fancy CR, but I see that as a coin flip. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't think it's a wild take from KJ to suggest no big difference between pot 3 & 4.

Aside from Poland and perhaps Serbia, nobody worries me. I think we'd match up well against Japan, Morocco or Iran. They are good all around without having players I would specifically worry about. South Korea, like Poland, does have one very special player, so I could put them in the Poland/Serbia category, I guess.

In pot 4, there is Algeria, who I would want to avoid for the same reasons I would want to avoid South Korea or Poland. The rest are beatable though.

So in short, I would say pot 3 gives us better odds, but I think there's a way bigger drop off between pots 2 & 3 than 3 & 4.

Another thing to consider: NZ can theoretically beat Costa Rica, so that strengthens the case for getting into Pot 3. I know most people fancy CR, but I see that as a coin flip. 

And Australia over whoever. You want to be in the highest pot. It really just gives you the best odds. Plus who are the uefa teams? Scotland, Wales, Ukraine.. ill take that

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Pretty sure we can't be in the same group as the CONCACAF/OFC placeholder.

15 minutes ago, sstackho said:

Wow, FIFA commentator doesn't even know the tiebreaker rules.  Thought Algeria-Cameroon would go to a shootout.  

I thought the same thing. Pretty sure Concacaf champion leagues does not consider that goal as an away goal, because the overtime is for both legs, not just the game in Algeria, therefore being neutral. I remember it being discussed few years ago when MTL impact were involved.