The Race for Pot 3

Miche

9 minutes ago, Allez les Rouges said:

Yup. Assuming Portugal and Morocco both win (very likely), the scenarios I posted simplify to:

- If TUN wins today's game: no Pot 3 for CAN

- If TUN/MLI draw in today's game: CAN needs win vs. PAN

- If MLI qualifies or if TUN qualifies on PSO: CAN needs win or draw vs. PAN*

*exception: if MLI qualifies and ALG qualifies with a tie or loss in today's game, CAN is guaranteed to be in Pot 3.

Simpson, if I tug at the bill of my cap like so, it means the signal is a fake.  If I want you to bunt, I will point at my belt buckle not once, not twice, but thrice!

1 minute ago, blueseeka said:

Does this look right? With a Tun PK win?

https://football-ranking.com/calculate?match=20220329_TUN_MLI

It won't be PK win. Scroll back a few pages. If Mali wins 1-0, it would be counted as a normal win for them.

PKs dont affect Fifa points for 2 legged ties that arent 2 same scoreline draws

Any chance of scheduling a couple friendlies against the Cayman Islands on Thursday right before the draw to gain a few extra rating points? 🤣

I kid obviously, but I remember a few years ago before the reformatting of the hex -> octo that we were considering how to schedule opponents so we could pass El Salvador in ranking points and qualify to the hex as the 6th ranked CONCACAF team. What a few years.

22 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Not that Sali is anywhere near our men's program.  Romania is eliminated and he hasn't even featured for his club since December 12, 2021.  He was listed on the bench as an unused sub in 7 games and not on the game day roster for another 4 during that period.  Can't help but laugh, although I sort of feel for the kid who was only 15 when pressured to play for Romania.

Yankov is another that will be missing out with Bulgaria.  To me, he would be in and around the Mitrovic level for Canada.  Hard to argue that he made the wrong decision though as he's already featured 15 times for Bulgaria in just a couple years.  He would be nowhere near that if any caps at all for Canada.

Yeah I didn't want to go fully in depth on all the duals... I mainly just included guys that might have been within striking range of being included in our squad and on nations that were still alive in this final round of qualifying

1 minute ago, rydermike said:

Would the penalties even count for points? Wouldn't that be separate because the penalties are for the aggregate score not the match? 

I don't think that site is accounting for the aggregate score leading to penalties scenario. Wins, draws, and losses only count as single game wins, draws, and losses and their corresponding points.

5 minutes ago, weathermanfran said:

Any chance of scheduling a couple friendlies against the Cayman Islands on Thursday right before the draw to gain a few extra rating points? 🤣

I kid obviously, but I remember a few years ago before the reformatting of the hex -> octo that we were considering how to schedule opponents so we could pass El Salvador in ranking points and qualify to the hex as the 6th ranked CONCACAF team. What a few years.

Actually, if we'd played and beaten Guatemala in January in an official friendly, we'd be a couple points better I think.