The Race for Pot 3

Miche

Just now, apbsmith said:

I'm so lost with this... Thanks for everyone providing all the info. 

What are the implications of Cameroon and Algeria? Any?

Only if *exactly* ONE of the following 3 things happens:
MKD qualifies over POR
DRC qualifies over MAR
MLI qualifies over TUN

In that specific case, if Algeria qualifies despite a loss or draw, Canada is in Pot 3, while any other result forces Canada to get at least a draw against Panama.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

14 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Alright, so our real hope here is a Mali draw or win in regular time, then a win or draw against Panama tomorrow depending on which it is.

Yup. Assuming Portugal and Morocco both win (very likely), the scenarios I posted simplify to:

- If TUN wins today's game: no Pot 3 for CAN

- If TUN/MLI draw in today's game: CAN needs win vs. PAN

- If MLI qualifies or if TUN qualifies on PSO: CAN needs win or draw vs. PAN*

*exception: if MLI qualifies and ALG qualifies with a tie or loss in today's game, CAN is guaranteed to be in Pot 3.

Just now, blueseeka said:

Macedonia and Congo down 2-0

Are we down to only Mali/ Tunisia?

No, from what I can see, we are down to any ONE of the following:

- MLI beats TUN
- An asteroid strikes the Senegal team bus as they leave post-game
- FIFA makes up (AND adopts) a completely new ranking system between now and Friday.

The third one wouldn't surprise me at all, so *fingers crossed*

4 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Updated Dual Revenge Tour

Not that Sali is anywhere near our men's program.  Romania is eliminated and he hasn't even featured for his club since December 12, 2021.  He was listed on the bench as an unused sub in 7 games and not on the game day roster for another 4 during that period.  Can't help but laugh, although I sort of feel for the kid who was only 15 when pressured to play for Romania.

Yankov is another that will be missing out with Bulgaria.  To me, he would be in and around the Mitrovic level for Canada.  Hard to argue that he made the wrong decision though as he's already featured 15 times for Bulgaria in just a couple years.  He would be nowhere near that if any caps at all for Canada.

2 minutes ago, kobasew19 said:

Read somewhere Cameroon winning or drawing is good for us too...

That's if Tunisia gets knocked out, we move up into their spot then lose against Panama. Algeria winning would then leapfrog us to take the last Pot 3 spot.