The Race for Pot 3

Miche

47 minutes ago, Cadeau said:

I don't want to be in Qatar's group...I remember Spain and Italy vs the Koreans years back

Here is further proof of why you dont want to be in the same group as the host:

How have the host countries performed in FIFA World Cup? (msn.com)

22 nations have hosted the WC.  Only South Africa (with 1-1-1 record) have failed to advance. 

EDIT.;  The phenomena of the enormous advantage of the home side (hosts) is even more pronounced when you look at the U20 WC's.   At FIFA tournament, when you are in group with the hosts, you are one of three teams competing for one spot.  in any other group you are one of four teams competing for two spots. 

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Free kick said:

Here is further proof of why you dont want to be in the same group as the host:

How have the host countries performed in FIFA World Cup? (msn.com)

Even South Africa, the only ones not to advance from their group, put up a more of fight than people expected. Mexico needed a late equalizer, they beat France (albeit an absolute trainwreck of a France team), and only lost to Uruguay who went on to finish 4th

POTS UPDATE as of 12:00 EST - including updated FIFA ranking points from all AFC games to date.

Canada MAX points is now 1504 points.

By 16:45 EST, we will know for sure whether we're in Pot 3 or 4.

image.png

Edited by Jedi Ram
EDIT : Removed incorrect scenarios thanks to the sharp eyed eagle @Ally McCoist

5 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:
POTS UPDATE as of 12:00 EST - including updated FIFA ranking points from all AFC games to date.

We need Ghana + Mali losses OR combination of one of Ghana/Mali loss + North Macedonia upset of Portugal.  By 16:45 EST, we will know for sure whether we're in Pot 3 or 4.

image.png.525eafee2dce3a32b2a976cb582f067e.png

Don't you mean Ghana/Mali win? And couldn't you also include DR Congo win?

7 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

We need Ghana + Mali losses OR combination of one of Ghana/Mali loss + North Macedonia upset of Portugal.  By 16:45 EST, we will know for sure whether we're in Pot 3 or 4.

image.png.525eafee2dce3a32b2a976cb582f067e.png

Just curious, if Canada had tied or beat Costa Rica, would that have put us over Nigeria and Korea with a perfect window?

3 hours ago, blueseeka said:

The best chance to advance out of the group stage, is all we want. I will gladly face a Brazil/ England after

Give me Qatar, Croatia, Nigeria and Canada

A funny thing me and my brother always joke about. Where there's Nigeria, there's Argentina.

2018 - Group D : Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
2014 - Group F : Argentina, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
2010 - Group B Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece
2002 - Group F : Argentina, England, Sweden, Nigeria
1994 - Group D : ArgentinaNigeria, Bulgaria, Greece

Keep in mind Canada can get maximum points of 1504.00.   With Draw, it becomes 1491.50...

NO IMPACT : Sweden-Poland   ;   Senegal-Egypt   ;   Algeria-Cameroon

Wins by 2 of any of FOUR teams [ for CAF it is in terms of winning 2 leg series, not win or draw or loss ] :  If Canada draws, then we would need wins by 3 out of 4 teams to make into Pot 3.   If Canada loses, well then Pot 4 it is.

North Macedonia = Portugal eliminated and removed from Pot 1 creating a domino effect to rest of the pots.

Ghana = Nigeria eliminated and Ghana would have less points [ 1st leg 0-0 ]

Congo DR = Morocco eliminated and Congo DR would have less points [ 1st leg 1-1 ]  

Mali = Tunisia eliminated and Mali would have less points [ 1st leg 0-1 ].  In case of Tunisia-Mali draw and Tunisia wins in AET/PSO would still have more points than Canada even winning the last match. 

image.png.e74757b4672b4497e0f1bf479aa8775b.png

Edited by Jedi Ram

25 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Just curious, if Canada had tied or beat Costa Rica, would that have put us over Nigeria and Korea with a perfect window?

We would be in Pot 3 for sure with 1529.00 points as neither Nigeria nor Tunisia would have caught us even with their 2nd leg victories or rather regardless of the 2nd leg result.   Korea Republic was going to be in Pot 3 no matter what the scenarios are.

25 minutes ago, A.D.I.D.A.S. said:

A funny thing me and my brother always joke about. Where there's Nigeria, there's Argentina.

2018 - Group D : Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
2014 - Group F : Argentina, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
2010 - Group B Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece
2002 - Group F : Argentina, England, Sweden, Nigeria
1994 - Group D : ArgentinaNigeria, Bulgaria, Greece

Nigeria drawing Argentina the last 4 times in a row they qualified for the world cup is 1 in 4,096.   Seems rigged..lol.

5 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

Nigeria drawing Argentina the last 4 times in a row they qualified for the world cup is 1 in 4,096.   Seems rigged..lol.

Does that factor in the whole "you can't be drawn with your own confederation" thing? If not, that would increase the odds slightly. Regardless, still an outrageous "coincidence" for Nigeria

4 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Does that factor in the whole "you can't be drawn with your own confederation" thing? If not, that would increase the odds slightly. Regardless, still an outrageous "coincidence" for Nigeria

Ha, never considered that.  Not sure if an AFC team has been pot 1 the last 4 times they qualified.   It's just something with long odds that's happened!  Props to whoever noticed it.

28 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

Keep in mind Canada can get maximum points of 1504.00.   With Draw, it becomes 1491.50...

NO IMPACT : Sweden-Poland   ;   Senegal-Egypt   ;   Algeria-Cameroon

Wins by 2 of any of FOUR teams [ for CAF it is in terms of winning 2 leg series, not win or draw or loss ] :  If Canada draws, then we would need wins by 3 out of 4 teams to make into Pot 3.   If Canada loses, well then Pot 4 it is.

North Macedonia = Portugal eliminated and removed from Pot 1 creating a domino effect to rest of the pots.

Ghana = Nigeria eliminated and Ghana would have less points [ 1st leg 0-0 ]

Congo DR = Morocco eliminated and Congo DR would have less points [ 1st leg 1-1 ]  

Mali = Tunisia eliminated and Mali would have less points [ 1st leg 0-1 ].  In case of Tunisia-Mali draw and Tunisia wins in AET/PSO would still have more points than Canada even winning the last match. 

image.png.e74757b4672b4497e0f1bf479aa8775b.png

Not sure what you mean about Egypt having no impact. If they lose the match but win the tie, we’ll pass them.