Sweden 1598 Tunisia 1501.38
Japan 1560 Canada 1494.49
Iran 1559 Algeria 1473
Serbia 1551 Ecuador 1445
Morocco 1543 Saudi Arabia 1431
South Korea 1536 Wales 1588
Egypt 1511.70 Peru (IC) 1552
Nigeria 1506.89 Costa Rica (IC) 1486

•A Canada win over Panama nets us 9.51 pts. for a total of exactly 1504.00 pts.

•Edited with some good notes from @Allez les Rouges.

•We need TWO of the following:

29 Mar 13:00 Nigeria v Ghana (Leg 1: Ghana 0-0 Nigeria)

A Ghana win or a draw with away goals knocks Nigeria out.

29 Mar 13:00 Senegal v Egypt (Leg 1: Egypt 1-0 Senegal)

An Egypt win or draw keeps them above us on pts, so they must lose but still advance. i.e. a one-goal loss with an away goal.

29 Mar 14.45 Portugal v North Macedonia

North Macedonia advance.

29 Mar 15:30 Morocco v DR Congo (Leg 1: DR Congo 1-1 Morocco)

DR Congo must knock out Morocco.

29 Mar 15:30 Tunisia v Mali (Leg 1: Mali 0-1 Tunisia)

Any Mali win puts us above Tunisia, even if Tunisia advance on pens*. A draw also gives us a chance to get above Tunisia.

*According to FIFA Formula: "In some instances, games end with a winner after regular or extended time, but still include a PSO to determine the team that eventually will get to the next round. These games are treated as normal wins and defeats."

Just for funsies, there is a scenario where a Canada draw in Panama stil gets us Pot 3. It involves at least two of Nigeria, Morocco, Tunisia, or Portugal being knocked out.

Edited by Miche

38 minutes ago, Miche said:

As it stands:

Pot 3   Pot 4  
Iran 1559 Algeria 1473
Serbia 1551 Ecuador 1445

A Ghana win or a draw with away goals knocks Nigeria out. If it goes to pens at 0-0, Nigeria would drop 2.88 pts*, leaving them at 1504.01. Seriously. They would edge us out by 0.01 pts.

An Egypt win or draw keeps them above us on pts, so they must lose but still advance. i.e. a one-goal loss with an away goal.

North Macedonia advance.

Any Mali win puts us above Tunisia, even if Tunisia advance on pens*.

*According to FIFA Formula: "In some instances, games end with a winner after regular or extended time, but still include a PSO to determine the team that eventually will get to the next round. These games are treated as normal wins and defeats." I take this to mean that a 0-0 draw after extra time is simply counted as a draw, even if Nigeria win the PSO.

Just for funsies, there is a scenario where a Canada draw in Panama stil gets us Pot 3. It involves at least two of Nigeria, Morocco, Tunisia, or Portugal being knocked out, and Algeria/Cameroon drawing.

The way I interpret the bolded part is that if there’s a winner and then shootout (because tied on aggregate), then they just go by the winner for fifa points. But if the game is tied (and also tied in aggregate), the result of the shootout determines the fifa points 

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not much difference for me between Pot 3 and 4, looking at that list. 

I agree. The only 2 teams that would I not want to draw are Serbia and Sweden. Knowing that only 1 team from each confederation can be drawn in the same group (except UEFA-2), if we do draw Serbia/Sweden, it either means:  

(A) Canada has drawn in Qatar's group

(B ) Canada is in the group death with a South American team thrown in there somewhere.

Using this website for simulating the draw (https://stattosoftware.com/wc2022/), most the simulations I'm doing has Canada in either a group of life, or a group death. 

The Pot 2 team we draw will determine our fate.

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't see a drastic difference between the 2 pots. Even more sonif Colombia passes Peru.

Part of me wants pot 4 just so we know for sure at the draw who we will be playing against.

For me, pot 4 is worse than pot 3. If we do get into pot 3, that will mean pot 4 is even worse. 

The biggest reason for me to get into pot 3, is the chances of getting Qatar in our group goes up significantly. There’s 3 AFC teams in there, and they can’t be grouped with them, giving us a 1/5 chance, compared to 1/7 most likely in pot 4. 

Having said all that, I don’t think we’re getting 2 of those results tomorrow, plus the win. Hoping to be wrong. 

15 hours ago, Miche said:

As it stands:

Pot 3   Pot 4  
Iran 1559 Algeria 1473
Serbia 1551 Ecuador 1445

A Ghana win or a draw with away goals knocks Nigeria out. If it goes to pens at 0-0, Nigeria would drop 2.88 pts*, leaving them at 1504.01. Seriously. They would edge us out by 0.01 pts.

North Macedonia advance.

*According to FIFA Formula: "In some instances, games end with a winner after regular or extended time, but still include a PSO to determine the team that eventually will get to the next round. These games are treated as normal wins and defeats." I take this to mean that a 0-0 draw after extra time is simply counted as a draw, even if Nigeria win the PSO.

Just for funsies, there is a scenario where a Canada draw in Panama stil gets us Pot 3. It involves at least two of Nigeria, Morocco, Tunisia, or Portugal being knocked out, and Algeria/Cameroon drawing.

This mostly agrees with my post from yesterday, except for 2 points I'll quibble on:

- Tunisia v. Mali: a tie (in which case Tunisia advances) works too since you assume CAN wins

- Nigeria v. Ghana: If Ghana wins in PSO, it wouldn't matter that Nigeria stays ahead of CAN since they wouldn't be in the draw. So we simply need Ghana to advance in whatever fashion. Also, I agree with @archer21's interpretation that PSO does count after a tie. This implies that, since Nigeria must win either the game or PSO to advance (it did not score away), if Nigeria advances, it'd be ahead of CAN by more than 0.01.

Also, if CAN ties PAN, then CAN is ahead of Algeria and Cameroon whatever happens in that game. So as long as two of Portugal, Morocco, Tunisia* and Nigeria get knocked out, a tie would be all that Canada needs. (*Tunisia qualifying in PSO after 0-1 loss would also work.)

19 hours ago, Miche said:

As it stands:

Pot 3   Pot 4  
Iran 1559 Algeria 1473
Serbia 1551 Ecuador 1445

North Macedonia advance.

Current table with Elos rankings:

Pot 3   Pot 4  
Sweden 21 Tunisia 56
Japan 28 Canada 24
Iran 24 Algeria 40
Serbia 16 Ecuador 23
Morocco 34 Saudi Arabia 58
South Korea 22 Wales 18
Egypt 42 Peru (IC) 19
Nigeria 52 Costa Rica (IC) 44

Average Elos rank of teams currently in Pot 3 = 30

Average Elos rank of teams currently in Pot 4 = 35 (37 not including Canada)

I generally consider Elos rankings more accurate than FIFA rankings, and if you go with that...

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not much difference for me between Pot 3 and 4, looking at that list. 

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think pot 3 is clearly tougher than 4

Actually it's not too different but I doubt pot 3 will happen anyways 

... yeah being in Pot 3 is better, but not by a whole heck of a lot.

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

Current table with Elos rankings:

Pot 3   Pot 4  
Sweden 21 Tunisia 56
Japan 28 Canada 24
Iran 24 Algeria 40
Serbia 16 Ecuador 23
Morocco 34 Saudi Arabia 58
South Korea 22 Wales 18
Egypt 42 Peru (IC) 19
Nigeria 52 Costa Rica (IC) 44

Average Elos rank of teams currently in Pot 3 = 30

Average Elos rank of teams currently in Pot 4 = 35 (37 not including Canada)

I generally consider Elos rankings more accurate than FIFA rankings, and if you go with that...

... yeah being in Pot 3 is better, but not by a whole heck of a lot.

The benefit of being in Pot 3 is that it gives us a 1 in 5 chance of drawing Qatar since there are 3 Asian teams in this pot.

Am I the only one that says bring on the big dogs? Give me Brazil. Give me Germany. Give me France. Also, if you think concacaf is bad, getting grouped with Qatar will be on a whole other level off officiating. If Qatar can find a way to host the World Cup, they are gonna find a way to win some games, Canada seems like a good target to get FIFA’ed

12 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Am I the only one that says bring on the big dogs? Give me Brazil. Give me Germany. Give me France. Also, if you think concacaf is bad, getting grouped with Qatar will be on a whole other level off officiating. If Qatar can find a way to host the World Cup, they are gonna find a way to win some games, Canada seems like a good target to get FIFA’ed

I kind of want England just for how big a media spectacle it will be, especially after we beat them

45 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

The best chance to advance out of the group stage, is all we want. I will gladly face a Brazil/ England after

Give me Qatar, Croatia, Nigeria and Canada

This.  We will face a giant in the round of 16.  Priority one is to get out of the group.  And I am in favour of anything that increases the chance of that.  If we get a group of death and have 3 games against amazing, high profile teams, then so be it.  But I am not hoping for it at this point. 

7 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

The benefit of being in Pot 3 is that it gives us a 1 in 5 chance of drawing Qatar since there are 3 Asian teams in this pot.

Good point.

Also if we make it into pot 3, push Nigeria into pot 4 and Costa Rica makes it in as well:

2/7 Wales, Peru (teams clearly ranked higher than us as per Elos)

4/7 Nigeria, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia or Algeria (teams clearly ranked lower)

I like those odds slightly better than if this stay in pot 4:

1/8 Serbia

3/8 Nigeria, Egypt, Morocco

4/8 ranked about the same as us

Edited by A_Gagne
wrote wrong team, needed correction to make sense