My final 23. To November

JAVIERF

38 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

I would try Teibert as a creative spark in the # 10 role.  Creativity is an issue if you wanna play expanded football.  If you play to contain and breakaways is fine, teibert is good as a long rage passes too.  I don't want this fellow to defend.  You have  some players already with those characteristics 

Well, having seen most of Teibert's pro club games, I can recall him playing as a 10 maybe twice - both as a late game desperation substitute.  By far the majority of his games are as 6 or deep lying mid.  He has on occasion played as an 8, but rarely.  His biggest issue as an advanced player is that he's not a great dribbler nor very fast - he can't run on to balls well, he can't create time/space for himself with the ball at his feet, and he's not strong enough to win or hold the ball in traffic.  So instead he plays at the back where his positioning and work rate helps him get the occasional interception, and provides a ready outlet for defenders.   He also distributes well from back there (as opposed to trying to struggle for touches with the opponents' CB's and DM's all over you).  I agree that when you first see Rusty, you think he'd be a great offensive playmaker, but in practice it doesn't work that way - he's just not quite good enough.  (Now his club teammate, Ryan Gauld, is an entirely different story...)

35 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Well, having seen most of Teibert's pro club games, I can recall him playing as a 10 maybe twice - both as a late game desperation substitute.  By far the majority of his games are as 6 or deep lying mid.  He has on occasion played as an 8, but rarely.  His biggest issue as an advanced player is that he's not a great dribbler nor very fast - he can't run on to balls well, he can't create time/space for himself with the ball at his feet, and he's not strong enough to win or hold the ball in traffic.  So instead he plays at the back where his positioning and work rate helps him get the occasional interception, and provides a ready outlet for defenders.   He also distributes well from back there (as opposed to trying to struggle for touches with the opponents' CB's and DM's all over you).  I agree that when you first see Rusty, you think he'd be a great offensive playmaker, but in practice it doesn't work that way - he's just not quite good enough.  (Now his club teammate, Ryan Gauld, is an entirely different story...)

I'm not seeing what many of you see in Teibert. I see him as a solid, workmanlike player on a middling MLS team. I don't see him as creative nor impactful at the competitive (Top 30ish?) international level in which Canada suddenly finds itself. I can't see him in any future Canada plans. Respect to what he offers the 'Caps though.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, Califax said:

I could see Theo or Jebbison in. 

I could see Millar getting dumped. He’s been poor in every outing but must be showing up at camp. 

I don't think Millar has been poor, but he's struggled to impress to the same degrees as others have.  Theo probably has a higher ceiling, but will he be favored over Liam come November? He just might.

36 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I don't think Millar has been poor, but he's struggled to impress to the same degrees as others have.  Theo probably has a higher ceiling, but will he be favored over Liam come November? He just might.

Adding to this, his starts have been Jamaica away, El Salvador away, and Costa Rica home. Two of which, if not all three, you could argue were relatively poor games across the board.

3 hours ago, Onelessstar said:

I'm not seeing what many of you see in Teibert. I see him as a solid, workmanlike player on a middling MLS team. I don't see him as creative nor impactful at the competitive (Top 30ish?) international level in which Canada suddenly finds itself. I can't see him in any future Canada plans. Respect to what he offers the 'Caps though.

I don’t know why he’s being mentioned as a 10. We have our fair share of creative attacking players. That isn’t what Teibert brings. He’s a glue guy who plays simply, wins the ball back, blocks shots, and works his ass off on the defensive side of the ball. Exactly the kind of guy who you want to close out the last 20 minutes of a game.

If we look at our 6/8 pool, we have:

1. Eustaquio

2. Hutchinson

3. Kaye

4. Piette

5. Osorio? - I love what he brings offensively, but he’s more of a 10 than an 8.

6. currently Fraser - playing in the Belgian 2nd division.

That’s not a dig against Fraser as he’s stepped up in a big way, but the conversation at cdm/cm is wide open after the first 4/5. Whatever our FIFA ranking is, the pool is the pool, and Teibert is near the top of a shallow pool of guys who can step in. 

He doesn’t get into a 23-man if everyone is healthy, but he has a decent shot at an expanded 26-man. 

Edited by footballfreak

1 hour ago, footballfreak said:

I don’t know why he’s being mentioned as a 10. We have our fair share of creative attacking players. That isn’t what Teibert brings. He’s a glue guy who plays simply, wins the ball back, blocks shots, and works his ass off on the defensive side of the ball. Exactly the kind of guy who you want to close out the last 20 minutes of a game.

Do you think that he has the physical tools to contribute at that level? I'm not sure he's strong enough or fast enough to compete. I could be wrong.

It reminds me of a comment I heard from Jamie Lowery (second hand) regarding Canada's match versus France in World Cup '86, and I paraphrase: "Fernandez was so much faster than me, I couldn't even hold onto his jersey to slow him down." That is my concern but, as I said, I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, Onelessstar said:

Do you think that he has the physical tools to contribute at that level? I'm not sure he's strong enough or fast enough to compete. I could be wrong.

It reminds me of a comment I heard from Jamie Lowery (second hand) regarding Canada's match versus France in World Cup '86, and I paraphrase: "Fernandez was so much faster than me, I couldn't even hold onto his jersey to slow him down." That is my concern but, as I said, I could be wrong.

Luis Fernandez the french-basque wasn't the fastest at all I think.  He was a holding mid

However, my 26 man squad if we are able to take 26 to Qatar (changes)

1- Borjan (starting keeper)

2- Crepeau (back up keeper)

3- Pantemis (3rd choice keeper)

4- Laryea

5- Miller

6- Adekugbe

7- Johnston

8- Kennedy

9- Vitoria (vice captain)

10- Buchanan 

11- Davies

12- David

13- Larin

14- Hutchinson (captain's armband; captain for our squad)

15- Osorio

16- Millar

17- Hoilett

18- Anthony Kaye

19- Ugbo

20- Eustaquio 

21- Piette

22- Henry

23- Fraser 

24- Akinola

25- Corbeanu 

26- Waterman

Edited by TGAA_Star
Correction

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

4- Laryea

5- Miller

6- Adekugbe

7- Johnston

8- Kennedy

10- Buchanan 

11- Davies

12- David

13- Larin

15- Osorio

16- Millar

17- Hoilett

18- Anthony Kaye

19- Ugbo

20- ZBG

21- Piette

22- Henry

23- Fraser 

24- Akinola

25- Corbeanu 

26- Waterman

I have to ask, why wouldn’t Eustaquio make your 26?

He’s our best midfielder and a top 10 player in Concacaf.

Edited by Strait Red

20 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Adding to this, his starts have been Jamaica away, El Salvador away, and Costa Rica home. Two of which, if not all three, you could argue were relatively poor games across the board.

Two were games where the opponent mostly bunkered--i.e. low block with counter--and the game against Jamaica was played on a terrible field. Mind you, no matter the opponent's tactics or the conditions of the field, it is up to the player to step up. Not saying Liam didn't step up, mind you.  I am not giving up on the lad; he's still developing and he's got a massive heart and plays his ass off.  

16 hours ago, Onelessstar said:

Certainly his size hurts him. He’s not an imposing physical presence that’s going to bang people around. He generally just likes to keep ball carriers in front of him and make a nuisance of himself. Fewer tackles, more interceptions. I wouldn’t say I have significant concerns about his pace/mobility. One thing he brings that we’re somewhat lacking is that he’s left footed. We have Kaye, but most of our other pool players in the centre of the field are right footed. Being able to provide quick wall passes to Adekugbe/Davies is significantly easier for a left footed player facing his own goal.

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Two were games where the opponent mostly bunkered--i.e. low block with counter--and the game against Jamaica was played on a terrible field. Mind you, no matter the opponent's tactics or the conditions of the field, it is up to the player to step up. Not saying Liam didn't step up, mind you.  I am not giving up on the lad; he's still developing and he's got a massive heart and plays his ass off.  

I found in the El Salvador game he was getting beat defensively too much.  Looked lost at times, perhaps nervous. Has that been a problem in Switzerland? I don’t watch the games there.  You’re right, he’s still pretty young and has time to cement his presence in the CMNT.  Look where Larin was a couple years ago.  Adekugbe, same thing.  Some guys take longer and don’t turn into elite players as quickly.

13 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

4- Laryea

5- Miller

6- Adekugbe

7- Johnston

8- Kennedy

10- Buchanan 

11- Davies

12- David

13- Larin

15- Osorio

16- Millar

17- Hoilett

18- Anthony Kaye

19- Ugbo

20- Eustaquio 

21- Piette

22- Henry

23- Fraser 

24- Akinola

25- Corbeanu 

26- Waterman

Just curious - are there examples where someone wears the captain's armband, but they are not the captain of the squad?  Is this done to trick the refs?  Do you gain an advantage in arguing over calls?

On 2/6/2022 at 1:11 PM, TGAA_Star said:

I can agree to disagree...any of those guys as our 3rd choice keeper I would be okay with but I think Leutwiler will beat them out but that's just my opinion 

I think this totally depends on what kind of year Hasal, Pantemis and Breza have. At least 2 of these 3 will be a starter when the MLS season starts and if any one of them have a full year of starting they may get the ticket to Qatar.

Otherwise it's probably Leutwiler for the experience.

Don't forget St Clair at Minnesota. Could be a dark horse if he wins back that starting role with the loons.

(1) Assuming a 3-5-2 starting lineup 11 of: David (F), Larin (F), Davies (LW), Hoilett (AM), Buchanon (RW), Atiba (CM), Eustaquio (CM), Miller (CBL), Vitoria (CB), Johnston (CBR), Borjan (GK).

(2) Assuming the following six players are possible starters if we use another formation and/or is otherwise a lock on the team: Laryea (WBR), Adekugbe (WBL), Osorio (CM), Kaye (CM), Kennedy (CBL), Crepeau (GK)

(3) Assuming a 26 man roster for Qatar, here are the battles for the remaining 9 roster spots:

Forwards: 5 players (Ugbo, Millar, Cavalini, Corbeanu, Akinola) battling for 2 or 3 spots...and possibly Jebbison

Ugbo plays for the highest profile club. Millar is performing the best at club. Cavalini fills a particular need.

League One is not good enough of a level for the national team but there is a chance Corbeanu can show enough at a higher level. Akinola is interesting if he can return to 2020 level - and he needs to show his stuff at Nations League. Jebbison is a wildcard.

Midfielders: A bunch of guys (Piette, Fraser, Teibert, Choiniere, Priso, JMR, insert another MLS guy, etc, Mitrovic) battling for 3 or 4 spots

We have very thin depth here. Piette is almost a lock on the team due to lack of depth and his defensive style. Herdman likes Fraser and he has been magnificient for country when called upon.

We will have an interesting battle to see which young MLS Canadian (plus Teibert) will have a good year for the remaining 1 or 2 spots. I really hope Mitrovic goes to NYCFC so we can compare him apple-to-apple. It will be a good move for him to springboard back to Europe eventually. He seems to fill the #10 role better than the others.

Really hope a MLS kid takes off because we need it. Wotherspoon's injury recovery timeline is too tight.

If nobody in MLS take a step forward next year, we might as well give Flores the spot.

Defenders: 6 players (Cornelius, Henry, Waterman, Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez, Godinho) battling for 3 or 4 spots

CB: Ideally, we would be taking 6 CBs for our system. The battle at CB is 3 players (Cornelius, Henry, Waterman) for 2 spots.

FB: There is more cover on the right side so I think Gutierrez and not ZBG goes to Qatar. But if the young midfielders don't breakout this year, there might be room for ZBG. 

Keeper: 5 players (Leutwiler, Hasal, Breza, St Clair, Pantemis) for 1 spot

I think the 3rd keeper spot will go to whoever has the best year in the MLS. Hasal is the most clear No.1 at club of the four in MLS. I will take anyone who can hold down a MLS starting keeper job over the experienced Leutwiler.

Edited by ballerz

5 hours ago, ballerz said:

(1) Assuming a 3-5-2 starting lineup 11 of: David (F), Larin (F), Davies (LW), Hoilett (AM), Buchanon (RW), Atiba (CM), Eustaquio (CM), Miller (CBL), Vitoria (CB), Johnston (CBR), Borjan (GK).

(2) Assuming the following six players are possible starters if we use another formation and/or is otherwise a lock on the team: Laryea (WBR), Adekugbe (WBL), Osorio (CM), Kaye (CM), Kennedy (CBL), Crepeau (GK)

(3) Assuming a 26 man roster for Qatar, here are the battles for the remaining 9 roster spots:

Forwards: 5 players (Ugbo, Millar, Cavalini, Corbeanu, Akinola) battling for 2 or 3 spots...and possibly Jebbison

Ugbo plays for the highest profile club. Millar is performing the best at club. Cavalini fills a particular need.

League One is not good enough of a level for the national team but there is a chance Corbeanu can show enough at a higher level. Akinola is interesting if he can return to 2020 level - and he needs to show his stuff at Nations League. Jebbison is a wildcard.

Midfielders: A bunch of guys (Piette, Fraser, Teibert, Choiniere, Priso, JMR, insert another MLS guy, etc, Mitrovic) battling for 3 or 4 spots

We have very thin depth here. Piette is almost a lock on the team due to lack of depth and his defensive style. Herdman likes Fraser and he has been magnificient for country when called upon.

We will have an interesting battle to see which young MLS Canadian (plus Teibert) will have a good year for the remaining 1 or 2 spots. I really hope Mitrovic goes to NYCFC so we can compare him apple-to-apple. It will be a good move for him to springboard back to Europe eventually. He seems to fill the #10 role better than the others.

Really hope a MLS kid takes off because we need it. Wotherspoon's injury recovery timeline is too tight.

If nobody in MLS take a step forward next year, we might as well give Flores the spot.

Defenders: 6 players (Cornelius, Henry, Waterman, Brault-Guillard, Gutierrez, Godinho) battling for 3 or 4 spots

CB: Ideally, we would be taking 6 CBs for our system. The battle at CB is 3 players (Cornelius, Henry, Waterman) for 2 spots.

FB: There is more cover on the right side so I think Gutierrez and not ZBG goes to Qatar. But if the young midfielders don't breakout this year, there might be room for ZBG. 

Keeper: 5 players (Leutwiler, Hasal, Breza, St Clair, Pantemis) for 1 spot

I think the 3rd keeper spot will go to whoever has the best year in the MLS. Hasal is the most clear No.1 at club of the four in MLS. I will take anyone who can hold down a MLS starting keeper job over the experienced Leutwiler.

I agree with your 26 man squad 

9 hours ago, kacbru said:

Just curious - are there examples where someone wears the captain's armband, but they are not the captain of the squad?  Is this done to trick the refs?  Do you gain an advantage in arguing over calls?

I personally do not like the keeper wearing the armband precisely for this reason. If a captain goes up to argue a call, that armband does bear some weight and refs normally respect it, if you are not being beligerant. Others get waved away, the ref will speak to a captain. Keepers can't play that role. 

It is no slight to Borjan, as he is obviously right behind Hutch. 

I personally have liked Osorio's approach in many matches, being a Spanish speaker he counters some of the Spanish banter going on from our rivals. At a WC, however, these linguistic angles are diminished, however. 

Who is next after Hutch and Borjan: Vitoria? I am fine with that, also because he is soft spoken and respectful, a good demeanour for a captain.