My final 23. To November

JAVIERF

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe I overstated the case against Rusty but keep in mind I was responding to a post that put him in the 23 man squad when he hasn’t even been called up recently. I just don’t think he will be in Qatar. 

Yes, in theory anyone could play their way into the squad.  That could include Rusty.   And Herdman will take form into account as I said.  But Godinho simply isn’t the calibre of player I expect to be in Qatar.  Alistair Laryea and ZBG are all ahead of him so I put the chance of him breaking into our WC squad at about 0.  And Rusty is 29 years old so isn’t exactly an unknown quantity.  Despite his good season he was consistently passed over for Piette, Fraser, Kaye and Osorio in terms of his MLS midfield compatriots.  Will he make some sort of quantum step up this season to be included after consistently not getting called for the whole qualification campaign?  I just don’t see it.  The likelihood that he plays his way into the team just seems slim to me.  

As for Jebbison I think you are oversimplifying.  First off, I just said he could play his way into the team - not that he will be included.  And I stand by that.  I think a young guy like Jebbison is far more likely to have a breakout season than a 29 year old vet like Rusty who is on the backside of his career.  Plus Jebbison just got recalled from his loan so next season he won’t be playing in the English 3rd tier - he will probably be in the Championship.  As for the glut of strikers “far ahead of him”, I think you are simply wrong.  David and Larin are the only two strikers that are locks for the WC 23 in my opinion.  After that you have Cav (vet who can play a role but had a poor season last year), Ugbo (probably makes the cut but has been having a rough patch for his club and just went on another loan), and Ayo (just coming back from a season-ending injury).  To claim that all of these guys are - and most importantly will be - “far ahead of him” seems wrong.   Throw in the strategic value of capturing a guy like Jebbison and I think he definitely could be considered.  And to be clear, that doesn’t mean gifting him a spot in lieu of a stronger player just to cap tie him.  But if there are two guys roughly equal, and giving a spot to Jebbison secures what seems like a very talented young prospect, then it could tip the balance in his favour. 

Godinho was with Tajon, Cornelius and Pantemis (except for one error), our best bunch in Olympic qualifying. In fact Godinho was more mature and consistent than Tajon, who had one good game then showboated the rest of the tournament. What, maybe 11 months ago? 

Godinho isn't playing, that's the main reason he's not in the discussion at all. 

Tajon should also have had a penalty called against him last match, and has had a few more bone head moves like that. We can do the pros and cons if you like.

People are just being obtuse. Our "success" is 5 months old. Why are so many making dogma out of happenstance? How many players can stink the next window and Nations League and be forgiven regardless and still have Qatar ensured? 

I count maybe 5-6.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Godinho was with Tajon, Cornelius and Pantemis (except for one error), our best bunch in Olympic qualifying. In fact Godinho was more mature and consistent than Tajon, who had one good game then showboated the rest of the tournament. What, maybe 11 months ago? 

Godinho isn't playing, that's the main reason he's not in the discussion at all. 

Tajon should also have had a penalty called against him last match, and has had a few more bone head moves like that. We can do the pros and cons if you like.

People are just being obtuse. Our "success" is 5 months old. Why are so many making dogma out of happenstance? How many players can stink the next window and Nations League and be forgiven regardless and still have Qatar ensured? 

I count maybe 5-6.

If our success is only 5 months 9ld, couldn't you go with the idea of sticking with the group that is on the hot streak of success?

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I count maybe 5-6.

One guy has lit up a number of our games, scored against Mexico and in WCQ, and earned a move to Europe (after helping his team to the best record in MLS).  The other guy made one start and 3 sub appearances in MLS since his move in August.  Not crapping on Marcus but come on.     

You seem fixated on making some theoretical argument.  Yes, Tajon could crash and burn this year and yea, Godinho could have an absolute barn-burner of a season.  It is theoretically possible - and thus I suppose Godinho could earn a spot (and Tajon get dropped).

But in the real world I don’t think either Godinho or Tiebert will be playing in the World Cup.  But you know who will be there?  Tajon.  

35 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Who in our eyes that has not been with the team in either the Jan or Nov window could crack this roster? I really do not see any far out there surprised coming from Herdman. 

Joel Waterman. 
I actually hope he has a great season, and can form a partnership with Miller and Johnston. 

Just now, Shway said:

Joel Waterman. 
I actually hope he has a great season, and can form a partnership with Miller and Johnston. 

That would be quite the jump for someone going from no caps to being named to a World Cup roster, guess we will see. 

48 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

One guy has lit up a number of our games, scored against Mexico and in WCQ, and earned a move to Europe (after helping his team to the best record in MLS).  The other guy made one start and 3 sub appearances in MLS since his move in August.  Not crapping on Marcus but come on.     

You seem fixated on making some theoretical argument.  Yes, Tajon could crash and burn this year and yea, Godinho could have an absolute barn-burner of a season.  It is theoretically possible - and thus I suppose Godinho could earn a spot (and Tajon get dropped).

But in the real world I don’t think either Godinho or Tiebert will be playing in the World Cup.  But you know who will be there?  Tajon.  

For clarity, Tajon's goal against Mexico was in the Gold Cup. Our WCQ goals against Mexico were scored by Larin (2) and Osorio.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If this is the rationale, we're in trouble. 

I tend to agree.  Teibert is being judged on reputation and past performance on this board, and perhaps also by Herdman.

If he logged exactly the same minutes and performances but was young and had just appeared on the scene, I think a lot of people here would be calling for him to be called, and I don't think we'd hear the scoffing.

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

Who in our eyes that has not been with the team in either the Jan or Nov window could crack this roster? I really do not see any far out there surprised coming from Herdman. 

Joel Waterman or Lukas MacNaughton could sneak onto the squad. Since we currently don't have anyone for the RCB position behind Johnston it should be the easiest spot to crack on our roster. For MacNaughton given TFC has 0 non rookie fullbacks on the roster I'm guessing they are planning to go 3 at the back, there is a decent chance he gets good minutes this year. 

To think we are months away from the World Cup and we are arguing or debating about who should make our final 23 man squad. Personally, I love it. Why? Because this is or this will only be our 2nd World Cup appearance. Our first appearance in over 36 long years and of course we are all going to have different choices as far as who we think should be locks for Qatar but that's the best part.

2 hours ago, lenny said:

I tend to agree.  Teibert is being judged on reputation and past performance on this board, and perhaps also by Herdman.

If he logged exactly the same minutes and performances but was young and had just appeared on the scene, I think a lot of people here would be calling for him to be called, and I don't think we'd hear the scoffing.

Hit the nail on the head. I don’t want this to turn into an east coast/west coast thing, but it does seem to play a role in how player quality is viewed on this board.

Teibert is a starting holding midfielder on an MLS playoff team that went 10-10-2 (W-D-L) to end the season, while playing counter attacking style similar to Canada. He played the most minutes of any Canadian outfield player in MLS last year with an 86% pass rate and twice as many interceptions as Kaye (or any other central midfielder)... 

but based on this board you would swear he was playing in the Bulgarian 3rd division.

I’m not saying he should be anything close to a lock, but not to even have him in these discussion is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Hit the nail on the head. I don’t want this to turn into an east coast/west coast thing, but it does seem to play a role in how player quality is viewed on this board.

Teibert is a starting holding midfielder on an MLS playoff team that went 10-10-2 (W-D-L) to end the season, while playing counter attacking style similar to Canada. He played the most minutes of any Canadian outfield player in MLS last year with an 86% pass rate and twice as many interceptions as Kaye (or any other central midfielder)... 

but based on this board you would swear he was playing in the Bulgarian 3rd division.

I’m not saying he should be anything close to a lock, but not to even have him in these discussion is ridiculous. 

Teibert could make a case which is why I had him as one of my probables on my 23 mam squad list but he didn't quite make the cut

10 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Godinho

Yet you ignore ZBG, who is miles ahead of Godinho for club and currently for country. Godinho hasn't been playing, where ZBG has had an excellent season last year. 

ZBG didn't really set a foot wrong but could barely crack into this team. And last window, Herdman called him up for the final game, not Godinho. 

Edited by canuckgbp

6 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Layrea for my liking is the first name in the squad becsuse he can play several spots.  

I like Godinho more than ZBG, he seems smaller than Godinho who is a quick player.  Time will tell, injuries will take a gamble.   

I don't know if you know this, but Godinho spent most of his club time last year on the bench, behind a rookie Jamaican RB.  Unless he starts getting some serious minutes with the club, he has no chance of playing his way onto the WC roster.

Teibert was a different story - got lots of club minutes, but never got called to the national team.  I don't actually think that's fair - he has physical limitations, but he's generally tidy with the ball, a good distributor, and will run all day long - he may not be better overall than Piette or Fraser, but he's certainly better in some aspects.  Having said that, it doesn't change the picture - I doubt he will be called up for the WC, and putting him on your roster is more wishful thinking than reality... 

3 hours ago, GasPed said:

I don't know if you know this, but Godinho spent most of his club time last year on the bench, behind a rookie Jamaican RB.  Unless he starts getting some serious minutes with the club, he has no chance of playing his way onto the WC roster.

Teibert was a different story - got lots of club minutes, but never got called to the national team.  I don't actually think that's fair - he has physical limitations, but he's generally tidy with the ball, a good distributor, and will run all day long - he may not be better overall than Piette or Fraser, but he's certainly better in some aspects.  Having said that, it doesn't change the picture - I doubt he will be called up for the WC, and putting him on your roster is more wishful thinking than reality... 

I would try Teibert as a creative spark in the # 10 role.  Creativity is an issue if you wanna play expanded football.  If you play to contain and breakaways is fine, teibert is good as a long rage passes too.  I don't want this fellow to defend.  You have  some players already with those characteristics