My final 23. To November

JAVIERF

Folks since the qualification is almost done and Canada worldcup spot 99% dusted.  I am gonna give you my 23.  Of course it could be more pending on Covid maybe 25 to 30 depending on Fifa

1 Leutwiler

2 Borjan

3- Crepeau

4 Layrea

5 Godinho

6 Johnston

7 Vitoria

8 Kennedy

9Miller

10 Adekugbe

11 Hutchinson

12 Eustaquio

13 Kaye

14Teibert

15 Piette

16 Osorio

17Millar

18 Buchanan

19 Hoilett

20 Davids

21 David

22 Cavallini

23 Larín

Edited by JAVIERF

1 minute ago, JAVIERF said:

Tbh you will have to take at least one of each Mls team at list from Canada.  There will be pressure or I can see a pressure.  Don't know any of worth unless Henry signs for Toronto FC

Does this kinda of rule exist in the Argentina national team? like there’s has to at least one Boca and River Plate player in the squad?

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

Does this kinda of rule exist in the Argentina national team? like there’s has to at least one Boca and River Plate player in the squad?

Yeah but you have it covered with Osorio.   I like Godinho and Teibert asap in the team.   

43 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Folks since the qualification is almost done and Canada worldcup spot 99% dusted.  I am gonna give you my 23.  Of course it could be more pending on Covid maybe 25 to 30 depending on Fifa

1 Leutwiler

2 Borjan

3- Crepeau

4 Layrea

5 Godinho

6 Johnston

7 Vitoria

8 Kennedy

9Miller

10 Adekugbe

11 Hutchinson

12 Eustaquio

13 Kaye

14Teibert

15 Piette

16 Osorio

17Millar

18 Buchanan

19 Hoilett

20 Davids

21 David

22 Cavallini

23 Larín

It's close anyways.

As we sit Henry is unattached. 

We could use another mid and as I posted elsewhere it's our main deficit. So Teibert isn't unreasonable--his last club season was equal to or better than Osorio's or Piette's: objective fact. 

Brault-Guillard is the outside back cover and Godinho had no minutes last year. 

Third keeper is not an important decision. 

@JAVIERFthere is no pressure or demand to have reps from Canadian MLS clubs, and no-one cares about this. BTW, many of Luis Enrique's latest Spain call-ups have had 0 Real Madrid players. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Herdman will not put any weight on making sure each MLS team is repped.  He will choose the best players at his disposal.  Full stop.  Godinho will not be there and neither will Rusty.  Even Cav will have to play in a way that ensures he isn’t bumped out by Akinola or Jebbison (if he chooses to commit).  

Nothing against those guys but 2 of the 3 haven’t been part of qualification so no idea why we would think they make an appearance on the big stage.  

Some odd inclusions, but I like the idea behind the topic. Will be interesting to see what changes in 10 months.

There are about 19 current locks for the team barring injury and if they can maintain their current level. It's the last 4 or 5 spots that could change.

Gk: Borjan, Crepeau 

DF: Johnston, Laryea, Miller, Vitoria,  Adekugbe, Kennedy, Henry?

M: Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Kaye, Osorio, Piette

F: David, Davies, Buchanan, Millar, Larin, Hoilett

My 23 man squad for Qatar for the World Cup in November (November 22nd)

1- Milan Borjan

2- Tajon Buchanan 

3- Jonathan David 

4- Alphonso Davies

5- Stephen Eustaquio 

6- Atiba Hutchinson (captain for Qatar)

7- Alistair Johnston

8- Cyle Larin 

9- Richie Laryea

10- Samuel Adekugbe 

11- Kamal Miller

12- Maxime Crepeau (back up keeper)

13- Jonathan Osorio

14- Mark Anthony Kaye

15- Scott Kennedy 

16- Liam Millar

17- Samuel Piette

18- Jayson Leutwiler (3rd choice keeper)

19- Steven Vitoria 

20- Ike Ugbo

21- Liam Fraser

22- Lucas Cavallini 

23- Junior Hoilett

16 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

My 23 man squad for Qatar for the World Cup in November (November 22nd)

1- Milan Borjan

2- Tajon Buchanan 

3- Jonathan David 

4- Alphonso Davies

5- Stephen Eustaquio 

6- Atiba Hutchinson (captain for Qatar)

7- Alistair Johnston

8- Cyle Larin 

9- Richie Laryea

10- Samuel Adekugbe 

11- Kamal Miller

12- Maxime Crepeau (back up keeper)

13- Jonathan Osorio

14- Mark Anthony Kaye

15- Scott Kennedy 

16- Liam Millar

17- Samuel Piette

18- Jayson Leutwiler (3rd choice keeper)

19- Steven Vitoria 

20- Ike Ugbo

21- Liam Fraser

22- Lucas Cavallini 

23- Junior Hoilett

One of Pantemis, St Clair, Hasal, and Breza will be the 3rd goalkeeper depending on how this season goes.

4 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I can agree to disagree...any of those guys as our 3rd choice keeper I would be okay with but I think Leutwiler will beat them out but that's just my opinion 

Yes because of experience.   He could be in the swiss national team before, and he chose Canada.  3rd keeper should always be an experienced keeper by all means.  Some wrong nat coaches take a kid for the experience but with the Covid and that, you need old gloves ... Anyway I think there would be 4 keepers because of the current affairs

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Some odd inclusions, but I like the idea behind the topic. Will be interesting to see what changes in 10 months.

There are about 19 current locks for the team barring injury and if they can maintain their current level. It's the last 4 or 5 spots that could change.

Gk: Borjan, Crepeau 

DF: Johnston, Laryea, Miller, Vitoria,  Adekugbe, Kennedy, Henry?

M: Hutchinson, Eustaquio, Kaye, Osorio, Piette

F: David, Davies, Buchanan, Millar, Larin, Hoilett

THat's such a damn good core. Assuming a 23 man squad, and 1 more GK. that leaves only 2 outfield players Cavallini/Ugbo and Wotherspoon?

I wonder if we see squad size bigger than 23 for the World Cup as schedules around the world will be compressed to fit in a Winter World Cup

2 minutes ago, nazzer said:

THat's such a damn good core. Assuming a 23 man squad, and 1 more GK. that leaves only 2 outfield players Cavallini/Ugbo and Wotherspoon?

I wonder if we see squad size bigger than 23 for the World Cup as schedules around the world will be compressed to fit in a Winter World Cup

I see a 26 man squad for all 32 teams

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Herdman will not put any weight on making sure each MLS team is repped.  He will choose the best players at his disposal.  Full stop.  Godinho will not be there and neither will Rusty.  Even Cav will have to play in a way that ensures he isn’t bumped out by Akinola or Jebbison (if he chooses to commit).  

Nothing against those guys but 2 of the 3 haven’t been part of qualification so no idea why we would think they make an appearance on the big stage.  

You are arguing that if a player plays badly, they can be bumped, even by a guy who has not played at all.

You say he'll pick the best players at his disposal.

But at the same time you argue that even if a player has a superior season to another on the roster, he still won't be called. 

It makes no sense at all. 

No national team in the world ignores form. Teibert played for one of the best 6 teams in the MLS from August to the end of the season, consistently, and was a key player. Perhaps not in the top 4 on the squad, but maybe in the top 6-7 of the starters.  His year was far better than Piette's and Osorio's. I did not watch Kaye's season enough to say, but his last appearance for us was one of the worst of any player in the entire qualifying cycle. 

It just seems absurd that you could argue a guy not even committed to the programme in third tier England could be considered, when we are glutted with strikers far ahead of him, but a mid who has rivalled half the guys on our NT should be ruled out. 

If this is the rationale, we're in trouble. 

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are arguing that if a player plays badly, they can be bumped, even by a guy who has not played at all.

You say he'll pick the best players at his disposal.

But at the same time you argue that even if a player has a superior season to another on the roster, he still won't be called. 

It makes no sense at all. 

No national team in the world ignores form. Teibert played for one of the best 6 teams in the MLS from August to the end of the season, consistently, and was a key player. Perhaps not in the top 4 on the squad, but maybe in the top 6-7 of the starters.  His year was far better than Piette's and Osorio's. I did not watch Kaye's season enough to say, but his last appearance for us was one of the worst of any player in the entire qualifying cycle. 

It just seems absurd that you could argue a guy not even committed to the programme in third tier England could be considered, when we are glutted with strikers far ahead of him, but a mid who has rivalled half the guys on our NT should be ruled out. 

If this is the rationale, we're in trouble. 

Maybe I overstated the case against Rusty but keep in mind I was responding to a post that put him in the 23 man squad when he hasn’t even been called up recently. I just don’t think he will be in Qatar. 

Yes, in theory anyone could play their way into the squad.  That could include Rusty.   And Herdman will take form into account as I said.  But Godinho simply isn’t the calibre of player I expect to be in Qatar.  Alistair Laryea and ZBG are all ahead of him so I put the chance of him breaking into our WC squad at about 0.  And Rusty is 29 years old so isn’t exactly an unknown quantity.  Despite his good season he was consistently passed over for Piette, Fraser, Kaye and Osorio in terms of his MLS midfield compatriots.  Will he make some sort of quantum step up this season to be included after consistently not getting called for the whole qualification campaign?  I just don’t see it.  The likelihood that he plays his way into the team just seems slim to me.  

As for Jebbison I think you are oversimplifying.  First off, I just said he could play his way into the team - not that he will be included.  And I stand by that.  I think a young guy like Jebbison is far more likely to have a breakout season than a 29 year old vet like Rusty who is on the backside of his career.  Plus Jebbison just got recalled from his loan so next season he won’t be playing in the English 3rd tier - he will probably be in the Championship.  As for the glut of strikers “far ahead of him”, I think you are simply wrong.  David and Larin are the only two strikers that are locks for the WC 23 in my opinion.  After that you have Cav (vet who can play a role but had a poor season last year), Ugbo (probably makes the cut but has been having a rough patch for his club and just went on another loan), and Ayo (just coming back from a season-ending injury).  To claim that all of these guys are - and most importantly will be - “far ahead of him” seems wrong.   Throw in the strategic value of capturing a guy like Jebbison and I think he definitely could be considered.  And to be clear, that doesn’t mean gifting him a spot in lieu of a stronger player just to cap tie him.  But if there are two guys roughly equal, and giving a spot to Jebbison secures what seems like a very talented young prospect, then it could tip the balance in his favour. 

9 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

1 Leutwiler

2 Borjan

3- Crepeau

4 Layrea

5 Godinho

6 Johnston

7 Vitoria

8 Kennedy

9Miller

10 Adekugbe

11 Hutchinson

12 Eustaquio

13 Kaye

14Teibert

15 Piette

16 Osorio

17Millar

18 Buchanan

19 Hoilett

20 Davids

21 David

22 Cavallini

23 Larín

I think we will see a a 26 man roster. i agree with your picks with the exception of Godinho, and Tiebert