March 27 WCQ vs. Jamaica location?

Yoho

9 hours ago, kacbru said:

Perhaps something BC has some experience with?  All kinds of infrastructure investments to support the games that jumped to the head of the queue at the expense of other priorities.

Didn’t the city just commit to put a bid together for 2030 last week?

If anyone listened to the Northern Futbol Podcast with Nick Bontis, you would learn that the decision on where to play games falls solely on John Herdman. 

This tells me the players ultimately have the final say. 

So my initial assumption where  our senior leadership team (players) are all based in Ontario.  

Moral of the story is, Vancouver needs to produce more national team players.🤷‍♂️

Edited by Shway

19 hours ago, admin said:

I'm good just not posting here at all...   But paying over a grand a year to keep this alive out my own pocket I'll post whatever the fuck I want.

Never said you should not post. I think you most definitely should, but under your own identity, not as "admin" (or better yet "owner"). :)

I hope, of course, that none of us knowingly post false information and we all welcome correction of facts. I have been wrong and I try to acknowledge if I have made an error. Not really a big deal, we move on.

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

If anyone listened to the Northern Futbol Podcast with Nick Bontis, you would learn that the decision on where to play games falls solely on John Herdman. 

This tells me the players ultimately have the final say. 

So my initial assumption where  our senior leadership team (players) are all based in Ontario.  

Moral of the story is, Vancouver needs to produce more national team players.🤷‍♂️

Don’t be so naive, I’m sure the players asked to play at Edmonton in November.

56 minutes ago, ted said:

Never said you should not post. I think you most definitely should, but under your own identity, not as "admin" (or better yet "owner"). :)

I hope, of course, that none of us knowingly post false information and we all welcome correction of facts. I have been wrong and I try to acknowledge if I have made an error. Not really a big deal, we move on.

Every article I see about them pulling out was on the 14th.  The deadline was the 16th.   So I guess that is not the day before...     Whatever they did or how they did it, they really screwed themselves.  Hopefully they can unfuck this and we get WC games in Vancouver. 

My 1st post in the forum. I have really enjoyed the banter back and forth in this thread. We have a very passionate fan base. It is so great to see when the debate is over where the match and future matches should be played.

The great news is that the match will be played in Canada, with a full house of fans!

So are we in a holding pattern in regards to the location of this match? I can't see them holding out much longer before its announced. I can't wait to get tickets and be at the match wherever its played.

Sorry to my football friends in BC, QC and AB - I think the match is going to TO and the nice grass field. I have a hotel booked in Toronto but no where else. 🙃 I will gladly cancel and fly anywhere else in Canada. I just want to be there.

Would it be counting our chickens too much to reward the boys with some kind of Vs trophy or token (Kings of CONCACAF?) during celebrations after the Jamaica game? Especially if it clinches qualification (or even 1st overall). Something like a custom championship belt would be hilarious, that generation loves it (see: baseball) and would be waving around the big Vs logo in front of the camera

20 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The end of March could be all sorts of things weather wise. It could be 15 degrees and sunny or -15 with snow. 

The former is far likelier than the latter. In fact, it's never reached -15 C in Toronto on March 27th.

https://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/almanac_e.html?StationID=5051&period=30&searchMethod=contains&txtStationName=toronto&month=3&day=27

19 minutes ago, Yoho said:

Edmonton  looking pretty tasty for March with restrictions fully lifted.

CSA pay day.

The capacity limits in Ontario will likely be long gone by then.  The Ford government already suggesting an announcement by tomorrow. Maybe it will be Edmonton but I don’t think restrictions will be the issue 

25 minutes ago, Yoho said:

Edmonton  looking pretty tasty for March with restrictions fully lifted.

CSA pay day.

I don't think there's a big difference in the gate revenue between a big Commonwealth crowd (say 45-50k) at the prices charged in November, and a full BMO (30k) at the prices charged for their home dates.

Edited by jonovision

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

I don't think there's a big difference in the gate revenue between a big Commonwealth crowd (say 45-50k) at the prices charged in November, and a full BMO (30k) at the prices charged for their home dates.

Also, rent for Canada Soccer is minimal at BMO compared to every other venue in the country (the real reason they keep going back).

13 hours ago, xcalibre said:

Would it be counting our chickens too much to reward the boys with some kind of Vs trophy or token (Kings of CONCACAF?) during celebrations after the Jamaica game? Especially if it clinches qualification (or even 1st overall). Something like a custom championship belt would be hilarious, that generation loves it (see: baseball) and would be waving around the big Vs logo in front of the camera

Not at all. It's called "tifo" and would be fantastic. Even just a large painted banner that says "Kings of CONCACAF" would be great.

On 2/7/2022 at 3:32 PM, admin said:

Maybe you should check, that the cumulative travel time difference for the three flights is actually almost 9 hours and takes you through more time zones. 

Since I'm bored and in this thread correcting numbers, the total difference between the following two itineraries

Fort Lauderdale -> Costa Rica -> Vancouver -> Panama City

and 

Fort Lauderdale -> Costa Rica -> Toronto -> Panama City

is about 4 hours depending which aircraft you choose on one of the charter sites. A bit more than I had expected, but certainly not 9 hours, unless I'm missing something. Obviously if they're training in Canada before the Costa Rica match, different story. I don't think the time zone change is a huge issue, especially with the match in Vancouver being on a Sunday and likely to have an afternoon PT start time.

4 hours is probably enough to be decisive in favour of Toronto, still.

1 minute ago, ted said:

Not at all. It's called "tifo" and would be fantastic. Even just a large painted banner that says "Kings of CONCACAF" would be great.

I know the prediction sites say otherwise, but I'd give Mexico at least a 25% chance of finishing top of the group after the next window. Looks like a 9 pointer for them.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I know the prediction sites say otherwise, but I'd give Mexico at least a 25% chance of finishing top of the group after the next window. Looks like a 9 pointer for them.

I think that game against the States isn’t a lock for them to get 3 points based on what we’ve seen so far.  That being said, are they done with a limited capacity due to their ethnic chants (assuming they have no covid restrictions in the Azteca)? The last 2 against Honduras and El Salvador I would agree.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Since I'm bored and in this thread correcting numbers, the total difference between the following two itineraries

Fort Lauderdale -> Costa Rica -> Vancouver -> Panama City

and 

Fort Lauderdale -> Costa Rica -> Toronto -> Panama City

is about 4 hours depending which aircraft you choose on one of the charter sites. A bit more than I had expected, but certainly not 9 hours, unless I'm missing something. Obviously if they're training in Canada before the Costa Rica match, different story. I don't think the time zone change is a huge issue, especially with the match in Vancouver being on a Sunday and likely to have an afternoon PT start time.

4 hours is probably enough to be decisive in favour of Toronto, still.

The site I used said there was a 2:45 difference.   Just tried another and it said 2:20.  Looking more closely at the site, you can enter flight speed ect... so that could make a big difference.  

Maybe it was set to a single engine Cessna LOL ;)

I didn't not do it from Ft. Lauderdale, that would cut the travel time. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

This is probably true, but you could probably charge BMO prices at BC Place and sell out. At least from a revenue perspective that should favour Vancouver, even with the cheaper rent.

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

The former is far likelier than the latter. In fact, it's never reached -15 C in Toronto on March 27th.

https://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/almanac_e.html?StationID=5051&period=30&searchMethod=contains&txtStationName=toronto&month=3&day=27

I know I was just going 15 one way, 15 the other, it certainly could be below 0 though.