March 27 WCQ vs. Jamaica location?

Yoho

57 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I agree with the rest of your post, I'm confused about the bolded part. Which 3 flights are you talking about?

I imagine the calculations don't start from Fort Lauderdale. The fact that many players are travelling long distances to get there means that reducing any travel time after could be a priority. You'd have to look at the total picture.

But, if you want a definitive answer, you have to ask the team officials, who clearly have stated that they've made these assessments. 

1 hour ago, admin said:

Vancouver still hasn't gone as long without a game as Toronto did, 9 years.

Maybe we should fix the corrupt bullshit that stopped Kerfoot from building that stadium....every time I go to a caps games it fucking pisses me off I am in that stadium. 

Maybe the province shouldn't have tried to fuck over our World Cup bid by pulling out the day before it was submitted. 

Maybe you should check, that the cumulative travel time difference for the three flights is actually almost 9 hours and takes you through more time zones. 

This is a point that shouldn't be overlooked. I always felt that at least part of the reason we were playing in Edmonton in November was so that Edmonton could be shown to the FIFA delegates.

1 minute ago, johnyb said:

This is a point that shouldn't be overlooked. I always felt that at least part of the reason we were playing in Edmonton in November was so that Edmonton could be shown to the FIFA delegates.

Not saying you’re wrong, just wanted to throw this out there. This is as of this morning 

2 hours ago, ted said:

Wait, what now?!? The Province of BC did no such thing. They spent months asking for more information and saying they could not submit without at least a rough estimate of how much it was going to cost. FIFA said, "FU, you have to pay whatever we decide it will cost." and so nothing got submitted. That all happened far more than, "a day before". 

As I recall it, the official dropping of the bid was right before the submission. 

I could easily argue it the other way. I don't think they are wrong.  FIFA, IOC ect... they should all be set on fire.

i thought this video was very interesting and thought i would share.    I dont know where to put it so looked for the thread that has the closest to this discussion.  

Edit:  now that i have seen the last two pages here.  I am glad i posted it in this thread.  Because,  it shows that where ever you decide to play a soccer game,  the surface matters.  And by surface, i mean more than just grass for the sake of grass as was the case in canada with grass stadiums up until BMO field converted to a natural surface. 

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

When 90% of the games are played at the end of your street, it's much easier to travel for the 2 games in 5 days that are played in a different location. 

That’s awfully dismissive of people who spent hundreds or thousands of their own dollars to support the national team.

They could have just as easily not gone to Edmonton because, as you put it, “90% of the games” were at the end of their street.

I’m not sure why @Yoho seems so eager to put the onus of these decisions on the fans, or why you’re seemingly backing him up on this.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

That’s awfully dismissive of people who spent hundreds or thousands of their own dollars to support the national team.

They could have just as easily not gone to Edmonton because, as you put it, “90% of the games” were at the end of their street.

I’m not sure why @Yoho seems so eager to put the onus of these decisions on the fans, or why you’re seemingly backing him up on this.

I'm not dismissive of the fans who travelled. I'm dismissive of the claim that fans in Ontario don't care where the games are, since they'll travel regardless. It was a disingenuous claim which needed to be highlighted, regardless of the person who made it.

There is a clear attitude that Toronto somehow deserves to host every game unless it's an insignificant opponent, in which case let the plebs in the rest of the country have it. It's not everyone in Toronto who feels that way, but there are plenty that do, even if they're too cowardly to straight up say it. Hell, we had a guy just a few days ago suggesting that it would be an insult to fans in Ontario if the CSA dared take the Jamaica match to a different city. 

And the point I was making was that it's way easier to plan a 5-day trip to see 2 games in Edmonton while the rest of the games are in your backyard than it is to travel up to 5 times to see your team play.

46 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There is a clear attitude that Toronto somehow deserves to host every game unless it's an insignificant opponent

Plenty gets said on the forum but I haven't met anybody in person at a match from the GTA who has felt that way yet. ( sober or not! ) They mostly just seem thankful they've had so many games and some have felt embarrassed given how great the Vancouver turnout had been compared to Toronto over the past 10 years.

---

Nobody has yet to mention another fact.

Labbé said she was retiring in April and yet wasn't named to the February #CanWNT squad. It therefore seems likely that the reason for an "April" retirement = more victory tour matches.

If so, the CSA will host the #CanWNT somewhere within days of the #CanMNT Jamaica match.

The #CanMNT is not going to play in the same city as the #CanWNT within the span of two weeks or fewer. Not going to happen.

#CanMNT in Toronto and #CanWNT in Vancouver is logical.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

51 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Hell, we had a guy just a few days ago suggesting that it would be an insult to fans in Ontario if the CSA dared take the Jamaica match to a different city. 

Yes, yes that was me.  I admitted that was a poor choice of wording, but I clearly stated why I think that Jamaica game should be played in Toronto for many reasons that have been stated here and by others, but not because people in Toronto or Ontario deserve it over other Canadians, but a couple others misconstrued what I was trying to say unfortunately.  I thought the Hamilton game should have been in Vancouver.
The problem for a country like ours is that we are so big.  The logistics for the team and many fans complicates matters.  This isn’t like many countries in Europe where you can go from one end of the country to another in hours by car. If you centralize it like England does in London, if you can get tickets, most people in the country are close enough to London proximity wise, it’s feasible. I wonder if Russia would be a good comparison.  Even bigger than our country. Do they play majority/all of their qualifying games for the WC and Euro in Moscow or do they move it around to say St Petersburg or elsewhere? 

@EJsens1Moscow to St. Petersburg is 700 km distance. Toronto to Montreal is 550. 90 million of Russia's 140 million people live in Europe and in the same time zone, and no, they generally don't have games outside of it.

Looking at Wikipedia, all their games for Nation's League and WCQ in the last few years have been in Moscow, with a couple in Sochi and a couple in Kazan. So it's sort of like having Canada's games in Toronto with a couple in Montreal and a couple in Windsor.

Edited by Trois Reds

2 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Yes, yes that was me.  I admitted that was a poor choice of wording, but I clearly stated why I think that Jamaica game should be played in Toronto for many reasons that have been stated here and by others, but not because people in Toronto or Ontario deserve it over other Canadians, but a couple others misconstrued what I was trying to say unfortunately.  I thought the Hamilton game should have been in Vancouver.
The problem for a country like ours is that we are so big.  The logistics for the team and many fans complicates matters.  This isn’t like many countries in Europe where you can go from one end of the country to another in hours by car. If you centralize it like England does in London, if you can get tickets, most people in the country are close enough to London proximity wise, it’s feasible. I wonder if Russia would be a good comparison.  Even bigger than our country. Do they play majority/all of their qualifying games for the WC and Euro in Moscow or do they move it around to say St Petersburg or elsewhere? 

We are the 8 th bigger country.  We used to play until 2010 all games in Buenos Aires downtown city mostly River , Boca, or Velez Sarsfield, then we changed to sea-side Mar del Plata 400km south or also the New modern  Stadium with roof in La Plata in greater Bs As but 80 kms from capital city.  Still in Buenos Aires province. Then we changed because of big country,  people couldn't afford accommodations tickets etc for a game.  So as a political change our Peronist left wing party did the correct thing.  Mostly under the influence of the  Soccer-mad Pope Francis a peronist social equality who wanted the team to tour the country and not the other way round.  So Argentina started playing in other provinces such as old Spain founded provinces Cordoba and Mendoza.  Then agricole province Santa Fé where Messi and Batistuta and Mascherano come from got games too mostly influence by the large Italian population.  Then we added a fifth province in hotter Santiago del Estero  with a brand new stadium high tech.   We still need to go to Patagonia region but football stadiums are hard to built because of the land is like Wales or Scotland.   But as Francis said that was the way to do it, the rich have to move around and give joy to the population.  

Edited by JAVIERF

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm not dismissive of the fans who travelled. I'm dismissive of the claim that fans in Ontario don't care where the games are, since they'll travel regardless. It was a disingenuous claim which needed to be highlighted, regardless of the person who made it.

There is a clear attitude that Toronto somehow deserves to host every game unless it's an insignificant opponent, in which case let the plebs in the rest of the country have it. It's not everyone in Toronto who feels that way, but there are plenty that do, even if they're too cowardly to straight up say it. Hell, we had a guy just a few days ago suggesting that it would be an insult to fans in Ontario if the CSA dared take the Jamaica match to a different city. 

And the point I was making was that it's way easier to plan a 5-day trip to see 2 games in Edmonton while the rest of the games are in your backyard than it is to travel up to 5 times to see your team play.

It's actually the reverse that is always stated.  If the game is big, move it to Vancouver for the 55K, in other words let other places have the small games.   The majority of the games in Toronto are St Vincent, St Lucia, Barbados, Belize ect.  Nations League against the USA, but never a WCQ against a top team. 

Weren't all three group stage games in 2016 in Vancouver?

The games would be in different locations if the travel was different and we were not sandwiched in the middle of three game windows.   People are literally fighting with one another other over the combination of scheduling and geography. 

I should note, that 3-2-2 is what was planned at the start of this. 

I drove to Toronto, was expecting to drive back to Edmonton and back home for the final two games.  That was my plan...  been couch surfing (albeit in a really nice place) here in Toronto since November.  I flew out to Edmonton because I found out the next games were unlikely to go to Vancouver and wanted to keep my car here. 

I was really looking forward to hosting a pile of nutcases from across the country like I did in 2016.  That was really fun. 

We have to stop crapping on each other here.  This is supposed to be fun.  

34 minutes ago, ShralpShralpShral said:

https://app.nextdeparture.ca/flight/400a9cf9-5739-49d0-aed9-47786e7317f7

Round trip flights all over the place for less than 200 dollars.  CSA needs to announce!

Getting around the country has never been cheaper (as long as you are able to do so). Last cycle I'm pretty sure my ticket to Vancouver for the mexico game was $600-700

My unused january ticket to Vancouver was $250. 

If january is in Vancouver the only decision I have to make is CR or Van. 

8 minutes ago, zeelaw said:

Sounds like players don't want to travel so far VC guys. Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

Good thing it's a Winter WC and we can send the team all over the country over the summer and fall for warmups.  

💯 Exactly that is why we have Nations League and we can have our games all over the country for summer and fall in preparation for Qatar

1 hour ago, zeelaw said:

Sounds like players don't want to travel so far VC guys. Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

Good thing it's a Winter WC and we can send the team all over the country over the summer and fall for warmups.  

I don't know what the international windows are for the lead up to Qatar but I sense that after the usual Labour Day window, any other prep friendlies will be in Europe.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't know what the international windows are for the lead up to Qatar but I sense that after the usual Labour Day window, any other prep friendlies will be in Europe.

Summer makes sense for a victory tour, (in terms of going to different stadiums across Canada and playing friendlies there) Other than that hopefully in the fall they find a way to get players together from the MLS and the European leagues.