March 27 WCQ vs. Jamaica location?

Yoho

Anything and everything says Toronto. It really does make sense on so many levels. Being in Canada's biggest market they will be able splash this team from a media standpoint. As we know them clinching in Costa Rica will be one heck of story. This window is the same as the one we just saw where its of the middle home game, sandwiched between two games in Central America, so travel will be a consideration too. 

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

There's very little difference in total travel for the European players whether we put our home match in Vancouver or Toronto or any other Canadian city. That said, the game will absolutely be in Toronto which is fine. 

This is another window where our home match is the middle game.

Flight times to Canada for the players doesn't matter. I assume they will meet up in Florida again.

I want the game here in Vancouver, but I can see the wisdom of playing it in Toronto.  Having said that, depending on where we are at with COVID restrictions by that time, I feel pretty damn confident we'd fill BC Place with 50,000 rabid pro-Canadian soccer fans for this one. I mean, doesn't that count for something? You can't do that at BMO. If you want a celebration, we'll bring (a massive) party.

17 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

Much as I'd love it to be in Vancouver so I can actually see a home match this round, I can't see it being anywhere other than Toronto.  The travel in the final window is even worse than in the last window - both Costa Rica and Panama are another hour away by air than Honduras and El Salvador were.

I could see maybe something out west for Nation's League, especially if its against total minnow, think a lot in my eyes will depend on the home/away makeup. Apparently the two NL games will be played early in the window, so the CSA could also consider a June friendly. In all honesty leading up to the World Cup, every decision will be made in what's best for the team. So if that means everything being based in Toronto for convenience that will happen. 

6 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I want the game here in Vancouver, but I can see the wisdom of playing it in Toronto.  Having said that, depending on where we are at with COVID restrictions by that time, I feel pretty damn confident we'd fill BC Place with 50,000 rabid pro-Canadian soccer fans for this one. I mean, doesn't that count for something? You can't do that at BMO. If you want a celebration, we'll bring (a massive) party.

Would Vancouver pack BC Place for a Nation's League match in June vs. a possible minnow. It would be a celebration type thing for the team going to the World Cup? I guess this question could be asked about a lot of places in this country. Is Canada at the point now where matches would sell out regardless. 

An NL home match against a minnow in June might even feature more of an experential squad, which means a few more prospects but also a few more bigger names not there, hard to say.  Whatever happens with squad selection,  I don't think that match will be outside of the Eastern time zone.

I really don't see any kind of matches west of the Rockies until 2023 and beyond as we build towards 2026.  I even believe that our build up prep in the fall for Qatar will be as road warriors in Europe, not in Canada.  With that, the "celebratory" game will be the Jamaica match at BMO.

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Would Vancouver pack BC Place for a Nation's League match in June vs. a possible minnow. It would be a celebration type thing for the team going to the World Cup? I guess this question could be asked about a lot of places in this country. Is Canada at the point now where matches would sell out regardless. 

Don’t forget about the potentially friendly that window as well. Could look something like:

March: BMO vs Jamaica 

June: BC Place vs Brazil/Argentina, BC Place Nations league match vs ?? 

8 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Don’t forget about the potentially friendly that window as well. Could look something like:

March: BMO vs Jamaica 

June: BC Place vs Brazil/Argentina, BC Place Nations league match vs ?? 

If we have home friendlies vs highly ranked opponents I can't see that anywhere except BMO field. Brazil isn't bringing Neymar and Argentina isn't bringing Messi to Canada to play on turf  

34 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

An NL home match against a minnow in June might even feature more of an experential squad, which means a few more prospects but also a few more bigger names not there, hard to say.  Whatever happens with squad selection,  I don't think that match will be outside of the Eastern time zone.

I really don't see any kind of matches west of the Rockies until 2023 and beyond as we build towards 2026.  I even believe that our build up prep in the fall for Qatar will be as road warriors in Europe, not in Canada.  With that, the "celebratory" game will be the Jamaica match at BMO.

The November World Cup changes the dynamic of what you can do because  every player in Europe for the most part is in the middle of their season. Plus June and September is in North America because of the Nation's League matches. 

I do not see experimental rosters because for the post part you want to keep the roster together that you see going to Qatar. We are part the point where you bring in fringe guys. So then the question is , who do you see cracking this roster who has not been with the team in the last window or two minus Phonzie of course ( :

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Capacity advantage is not a trivial consideration.  

This has to be the only WCQ cylce where the CMNT has made money, even with the discounted tickets at Commonwealth.  And how isn't that an important factor for all the NT programs going forward?

For Canada Soccer the gate revenue for BC Place may be tempting.  Not that BMO won't harvest some serious coin, I'm sure it well, just there's that massive volume discrepancy betwix the two venues.

Never been to BMO Field.  Somehow that seems strange to me.  Feels like March might be an appropriate opportunity to correct that.    

2 hours ago, David Pinto said:

If we have home friendlies vs highly ranked opponents I can't see that anywhere except BMO field. Brazil isn't bringing Neymar and Argentina isn't bringing Messi to Canada to play on turf  

This. If we play a friendly with a quality opponent it will 100% be at BMO due to the pitch.  

Nations League could be in BC.  As for the Jamaica game the only way it is not played at BMO is if they don't get 100% capacity due to covid restrictions.  

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

I really do not see it. It is the middle game of three with the other two in Central America. It is the exact same reason the chose to play the match against the US in cold Hamilton over the comforts of BC Place. It adds a lot of time in the air. I really think the June Nations League is the first opportunity for the west coast. But it will come down to what else the CSA has planned for the second week of the June break. 

I am still trying to figure this out, with a ticket punched to the World Cup can you sellout BC Place against a minnow?

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I really do not see it. It is the middle game of three with the other two in Central America. It is the exact same reason the chose to play the match against the US in cold Hamilton over the comforts of BC Place. It adds a lot of time in the air. I really think the June Nations League is the first opportunity for the west coast. But it will come down to what else the CSA has planned for the second week of the June break. 

I am still trying to figure this out, with a ticket punched to the World Cup can you sellout BC Place against a minnow?

This might make sense. A) if bc allows 100% capacity

b) by the end of the game we should have locked up a top 3 spot and therefore the result in Panama is mute.

c)im sure they can sell it out. You can probably sell out any stadium in the country now within a few days. 

6 hours ago, Cblake said:

I’d assume that BC gets a NL game to make up for the cancelled men’s friendlies on the island. It’s too bad that the hype train has outgrown Westhills and would have to go to BC Place. 

3 minutes ago, chalms04 said:

I’d assume that BC gets a NL game to make up for the cancelled men’s friendlies on the island. It’s too bad that the hype train has outgrown Westhills and would have to go to BC Place. 

Does the World Cup hype sell out a NL game at BC Place vs. a minnow? That is what would make a trip out west worth it for the CSA. 

37 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Not really. 5.5 vs 6.5 hours on a charter. Hardly a deal breaker.

Interesting that this is still apparently a live issue.  This could screw up travel plans for some.  

If I do manage to get to Costa Rica for the game on the 24th I am looking into flying back through Toronto to get to the game on the 27th.  Lots has to line up for that to happen but if the game is somewhere else it would be pointless to route through Toronto.  I wonder when this will be settled.  

Edited by dyslexic nam