Costa Rica (Mar 24) & Panama AWAY (Mar 30)

JamboAl

Hi - there will be 4 of us. We already have flights booked. Please note us down for tickets in a Canadian section.

We have booked at the Hilton Las Sabana next to the stadium. Thanks for organizing this.

***EDIT: Just read more info, will book tix on    thevoyageurs.org

Edited by gsc44

33 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Yep, June 7th, 2011 in at The Gold Cup in the Motor City, for those going to Costa Rica, sure it will be something similar. I am pretty sure Nashville would have been huge if all things were normal. 

No photo description available.

Brilliant photo - Thanks! I was there with my son and he's coming with me to Costa Rica!

10 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there another away game you can think of that had a tremendous gathering of voyageurs/Canadian fans? 

Havana, Cuba - 2012

If I remember correctly, at least 100 Canucks showed up (although I was sitting with friends I'm the locals section for that game). 

https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2012/06/08/canada_grabs_crucial_win_over_cuba_in_world_cup_qualifying.html

These games are going to be a true grind. Costa Rica and Panama will be playing for their World Cup dreams, and I expect Herdman won't want to give anyone an inch. I'm actually quite excited to see how our boys do against the kind of adversity they are about to face, because hell you can bet that Costa Rica and Panama will invoke all the dark arts, and more, in order to try and get something from us, specially because they know that whichever of them loses against us is essentially out. I actually want our players to experience this, to see how bad things can truly get in Central America, because ultimately it'll make them a better team.

28 minutes ago, ToothyMoose said:

Damn, I figured we'd at least be allotted 300ish. 

We may still.  However, the condition given to us and Canada Soccer is that we need to pre-purchase any tickets we ask for and allocated.  If they allocate 300 tickets, we need to make sure we can sell all 300 or we will eat the costs.

9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

We may still.  However, the condition given to us and Canada Soccer is that we need to pre-purchase any tickets we ask for and allocated.  If they allocate 300 tickets, we need to make sure we can sell all 300 or we will eat the costs.

I'm far more worried about selling tickets we can't deliver than eating those costs.  As people will be buying plane tickets ect...

If they had given us a weeks notice, via the embassy and expat groups we could have had very large section.

On 2/13/2022 at 1:42 PM, Cblake said:

Yep, June 7th, 2011 in at The Gold Cup in the Motor City, for those going to Costa Rica, sure it will be something similar. I am pretty sure Nashville would have been huge if all things were normal. 

No photo description available.

I know this is aside from the main topic, but I bet the travelling support to a game in Detroit would be massive now a days with our recent success. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I know this is aside from the main topic, but I bet the travelling support to a game in Detroit would be massive now a days with our recent success. 

As things open up, I think Canada would get huge support in most parts of the US considering where this team is going with they success they are having. As I stated Nashville would have been huge, could see get over 1,000 likely more. It was Labour Day weekend in one  of America's great party towns with easy flights. 

Good news for travellers!  The requirement to get a PCR test to return to Canada from abroad has been dropped, effective February 28.  A rapid test is now sufficient for fully vaccinated people.

For those going to Costa Rica, this is a huge benefit.  You no longer need to book an appointment 2-3 days before you come home or buy a do-it-yourself test.  There is a rapid testing facility at the airport with a three hour turnaround.

(Just to be safe, I'm not cancelling my PCR appointment until just before I leave.  You never know, the requirement may suddenly be put back in place.)

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/02/15/covid-19-border-restrictions/

23 minutes ago, prabak11 said:

Where can I purchase the tickets that people are saying they already purchased? and how much are they?

There are no more tickets to be purchased in the away section.  The Costa Rican federation gave us 150 (we thought it would be closer to 200) and that was it and they are all accounted for.  Anyone who wants to go now will have to see if they can get one locally.  Sorry but the Costa Ricans have just CONCACAF’d us.

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

There are no more tickets to be purchased in the away section.  The Costa Rican federation gave us 150 (we thought it would be closer to 200) and that was it and they are all accounted for.  Anyone who wants to go now will have to see if they can get one locally.  Sorry but the Costa Ricans have just CONCACAF’d us.

I imagine a Ticos fan forum about trying to reduce the sea of red in the stands and limiting tickets for away supporters.  Of course, there is also a lively debate about hosting games at the "National Stadium" vs hosting the matches in Liberia where there is a smaller Canadian community and where travel for Canadians would be more difficult.