Costa Rica (Mar 24) & Panama AWAY (Mar 30)

JamboAl

Booked! Flying in to San Jose, 11am  day of the game. Planning on spending the night near the stadium somewhere and then checking out in the morning and heading to the coast for some beach time to celebrate our qualification! 🍺 Bringing the Fam so I'll need 5 tix. Probably a few others joining us.

Edited by johnyb

2 minutes ago, umpiredice said:

The general policy is this:

"Tourists who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and individuals aged 18 and younger (even if unvaccinated) can enter the country without a travel policy. The last dose of the vaccine must have been applied at least 14 days prior to arrival in Costa Rica."

There's a form you have to fill out online no more than 72 hours prior to travelling.  See here for full details:

https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements

So a fully vaccinated person does not need a covid test to enter?

10 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Are they easy to get down there? I was looking into it, just want to be sure if I did a quick turn around type trip. 

Very easy.  I booked mine at the Clinica Biblica hospital.  They take appointments between 7:00a and 9:30p, and have a 24-hour drive-through in their parkade.  There are many, many other options.

https://www.twoweeksincostarica.com/covid-19-test-costa-rica/

Be aware, even the location at the airport gives a 24-36 hour turnaround time for the PCR test.  The only way to get a rapid response on a PCR test is to use the airport location and pay something like triple the normal cost.

Edited by umpiredice

2 hours ago, johnyb said:

Booked! Flying in to San Jose, 11am  day of the game. Planning on spending the night near the stadium somewhere and then checking out in the morning and heading to the coast for some beach time to celebrate our qualification! 🍺 Bringing the Fam so I'll need 5 tix. Probably a few others joining us.

That is the sort of thing I am going to do.  Just emailed the agent today.  We will see.  

As of now I am in for 4. 

We have not booked flights yet, but have booked the airbnb's, San Jose and Jaco.

After the first window my prediction was we lock it up at Costa Rica away :).  

Held of buying plane tickets after Jamaica's silly official complaint to Fifa over the worry of a closed door home game. The more I read about the JFF complaint, the more I believe, it should amount to nothing. 

I believe we will be booking our flights sometime this week. 

20 hours ago, umpiredice said:

The general policy is this:

"Tourists who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and individuals aged 18 and younger (even if unvaccinated) can enter the country without a travel policy. The last dose of the vaccine must have been applied at least 14 days prior to arrival in Costa Rica."

There's a form you have to fill out online no more than 72 hours prior to travelling.  See here for full details:

https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements

Can confirm this, got to Costa Rica 2-3 days ago. I forgot about the online form but was able to just do it before getting on plane 

Also I thought the panama game was on the 30th not the 31st like it says in the title

Edited by patstew19
Added stuff

1 hour ago, Rankin said:

We are looking at going down for the game with 4 of us. Probably stay for a few days. Is it worth staying in the city, or should we head for the beaches after the match ?

From what I understand there is not much to do in San Jose. We are spending only two days there, staying in a hotel downtown close to the stadium, then after the match heading to one of the nearby beach towns for 5 days before flying to Panama City. Again, just a couple of days in the city, then heading to the beach for a few more days, then home.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, johnyb said:

My group is up to 11 and could be a couple more that are still on the fence.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:56 AM, patstew19 said:

Can confirm this, got to Costa Rica 2-3 days ago. I forgot about the online form but was able to just do it before getting on plane 

Also I thought the panama game was on the 30th not the 31st like it says in the title

You are absolutely right about the date.  My bad, will correct it (once I figure out how to do it).  Thanks!

• JamboAl changed the title to Costa Rica (Mar 24) & Panama AWAY (Mar 30)
18 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

The number of you guys heading down is honestly amazing to see! Wish I could head down there but I need to save for Qatar!

It's terrific! now assuming it all goes to plan and they are at 100% capacity, will there be enough tickets for Canadian supporters? I get the impression we are quite a big bunch. lolll

4 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

It's terrific! now assuming it all goes to plan and they are at 100% capacity, will there be enough tickets for Canadian supporters? I get the impression we are quite a big bunch. lolll

By my count we are nearing 100 so far across the sites I’ve posted on.  I’ll give it a few more days for people to put in their numbers.  I’m hoping we’ll be given a decent number by the Costa Ricans but who knows.  The game has tons of meaning to them.

On 2/7/2022 at 1:33 PM, Carefree1905 said:

From what I understand there is not much to do in San Jose. We are spending only two days there, staying in a hotel downtown close to the stadium, then after the match heading to one of the nearby beach towns for 5 days before flying to Panama City. Again, just a couple of days in the city, then heading to the beach for a few more days, then home.

Yes, there is really not that much to do in San Jose. They have some decent museum, and La Sabana is a nice park, but I would definitely recommend spending time outside of the city.

Jaco and Quepos are going to be your closest beach destinations. If cloud forests or volcanoes are more your thing, then head to Monteverde and Arenal.

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

By my count we are nearing 100 so far across the sites I’ve posted on.  I’ll give it a few more days for people to put in their numbers.  I’m hoping we’ll be given a decent number by the Costa Ricans but who knows.  The game has tons of meaning to them.

Isn't there a FIFA mandate that home teams have to reserve a certain % of the stadium capacity for an away section. Thought it was 5%?

1 hour ago, djcuse said:

Isn't there a FIFA mandate that home teams have to reserve a certain % of the stadium capacity for an away section. Thought it was 5%?

I was looking for something about this.  There were about 300-350 tickets for the American Outlaws in Hamilton so that would be about 3%.  If we were to use the same measure for the Estadio Nacional, it should be just around 1,000.  But who knows.