A Gold Cup Fully Hosted by Us (no A)

Shway

If you want it to come to Canada you need to make a financial argument for why it should come Canada.

you have sofi stadium in LA, AT&T in Dallas, The rose bowl in pasadena, not to mention all the other football stadiums with grass they could play at that could hold 60K+ attendance. Those places are money making machines.

What would be the legitimate business case for playing in Canada? Could you prove the attendance for jamaica vs. honduras games would justify playing in stadiums half those capacities with built in massive markets to help you drive up your ticket cost?

comparing it to the euros is tricky because you're basically guaranteed high attendance for every game no matter where you play it, and there's giant stadiums everywhere not to mention their TV rights are worth bonkers more money than gold cup rights. UEFA is equally as greedy, they just don't have to hide it as obviously as Concacaf does.

If you want to kill the passive mentality it starts with having the facilities. The US drops a billion on a new stadium without blinking. Canada isn't willing to play the same game.

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

If you want it to come to Canada you need to make a financial argument for why it should come Canada.

you have sofi stadium in LA, AT&T in Dallas, The rose bowl in pasadena, not to mention all the other football stadiums with grass they could play at that could hold 60K+ attendance. Those places are money making machines.

What would be the legitimate business case for playing in Canada? Could you prove the attendance for jamaica vs. honduras games would justify playing in stadiums half those capacities with built in massive markets to help you drive up your ticket cost?

comparing it to the euros is tricky because you're basically guaranteed high attendance for every game no matter where you play it, and there's giant stadiums everywhere not to mention their TV rights are worth bonkers more money than gold cup rights. UEFA is equally as greedy, they just don't have to hide it as obviously as Concacaf does.

If you want to kill the passive mentality it starts with having the facilities. The US drops a billion on a new stadium without blinking. Canada isn't willing to play the same game.

I hear exactly what you are saying. But part of it is a misconception. (To your second paragraph specifically)

Just go look at the attendance records when Mexico or USA is not part of the double header. It’s not great. It’s the reason why they do them like someone said it’s just a bloating tactic. 

I think the value proposition is trying to sell out smaller stadiums, for smaller teams vs pairing them with the juggernauts who usually by up the tickets (misrepresentation). 

Your final point is true. If we don’t change that it’s hard to change the perception. 

I think the Gold Cup should move around. Like others have mentioned, the way things look right now, likely USA, Mexico, and Canada all draw well across the country. With Canada at the moment being a top 4 team, these teams would all be in separate groups. If they kept the double header format, that means 75% of group stage double headers would have one of those 3 teams in them. You end up with one group that likely doesn't draw quite as well, but depending on the teams and the host city, we get decent away supporters for countries like El Salvador, Panama, Jamaica, Haiti, Guatemala, and there are probably others as well.

I like the World Juniors rotation suggestion someone made. If USA is that important, give them every other Gold Cup, and when USA does host, please make it a region within the USA. No more of this game in Washington DC, then Kansas City, then LA garbage that they do just to sap player's energy and reduce the quality on the field.

In addition to Canada hosting, I'd like to have Mexico host sometimes, and I think a combined Central American Gold Cup would be cool too.

June 2023 is going to be crazy busy.  CONCACAF just announced they're moving the Final 4 of the next Nations League from March 2023 to June 2023, right before the start of the Gold Cup starting on June 16.  It's a tad farcical to be handing out both trophies back to back and dilutes the importance of each. It's also hard to fathom teams can provide A squads for both competitions in succession.

Between these two, I fully expect us to be playing home games in some capacity but as Vic said in the video I posted on the previous page, we're not hosting the whole thing ever.  

Quite frankly, I only really care about our own games being played in Canada.  I don't give a rat's @ss whether Martinique plays Bermuda in Saskatoon or Miami.  

18 hours ago, Kent said:

I think the Gold Cup should move around. Like others have mentioned, the way things look right now, likely USA, Mexico, and Canada all draw well across the country. With Canada at the moment being a top 4 team, these teams would all be in separate groups. If they kept the double header format, that means 75% of group stage double headers would have one of those 3 teams in them. You end up with one group that likely doesn't draw quite as well, but depending on the teams and the host city, we get decent away supporters for countries like El Salvador, Panama, Jamaica, Haiti, Guatemala, and there are probably others as well.

I like the World Juniors rotation suggestion someone made. If USA is that important, give them every other Gold Cup, and when USA does host, please make it a region within the USA. No more of this game in Washington DC, then Kansas City, then LA garbage that they do just to sap player's energy and reduce the quality on the field.

In addition to Canada hosting, I'd like to have Mexico host sometimes, and I think a combined Central American Gold Cup would be cool too.

Spot on, you’ve echoed everything I’ve said.

- Rotate it between the USA ala World Juniors
- If can’t be played in Canada, make the tournament regional within the USA.

Ultimately there’s no reason not to try. And not that half ass host a few games in Canada and calling it co-hosting. 

The only issue I see is the lack of large 70k+ stadiums for the knockout rounds.

I don’t see Central America or Mexico being a great option due to travel safety concerns, and the lack of diversity they have. (However that could be an ignorant statement, someone correct me if I’m wrong).

3 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

June 2023 is going to be crazy busy.  CONCACAF just announced they're moving the Final 4 of the next Nations League from March 2023 to June 2023, right before the start of the Gold Cup starting on June 16.  It's a tad farcical to be handing out both trophies back to back and dilutes the importance of each. It's also hard to fathom teams can provide A squads for both competitions in succession.

Between these two, I fully expect us to be playing home games in some capacity but as Vic said in the video I posted on the previous page, we're not hosting the whole thing ever.  

Quite frankly, I only really care about our own games being played in Canada.  I don't give a rat's @ss whether Martinique plays Bermuda in Saskatoon or Miami.  

But not just Gold Cup but also other competitions like AFCON which shifts back to summer and Copa America 

22 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Thanks for the posting that interview.

The funny thing from what Vic said is that yes, he can sell out the Rose Bowl, provided the US plays Mexico.  I think we're all hoping that Canada is now able to make it to a Final now and then which raises questions about how the Gold Cup is run from a fairness and integrity perspective (which we all are aware of). 

On 2/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, Shway said:

My whole point was made on the basis of demographics. If you think the argument is the same for Toronto vs Vancouver, I implore you to educate me.

In terms of Gold Cups, the only teams that draw well in the United States are USA and Mexico. Every other game fails to fill whatever stadium they are playing in and is one of the reasons they play double-headers in the same stadium.

Could they sell more tickets for El Salvador v Costa Rica in Toronto than Vancouver? Maybe?  Enough to make a significant difference? I doubt it.

When the U-21 World Cup held group games in Victoria, we filled the stands every game for teams from many different countries without huge immigrant communities. I think Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Victoria would do just fine.

28 minutes ago, ted said:

In terms of Gold Cups, the only teams that draw well in the United States are USA and Mexico. Every other game fails to fill whatever stadium they are playing in and is one of the reasons they play double-headers in the same stadium.

Not quite.  Honduras and El Salvador draw 20 to 25k depending on the market, similar to the US crowds at Gold Cups.      

53 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Not quite.  Honduras and El Salvador draw 20 to 25k depending on the market, similar to the US crowds at Gold Cups.      

When El Salvador played Mexico in the group stage last year they actually outdrew them by a fair amount. 

So there are some teams that really draw. If Haiti were to play in Montreal they would draw big numbers, just like they do when they play in Miami.

The advantage of playing in Canada is that suddenly Canada becomes a big draw too when they wouldn’t be otherwise. I think you would see quite a few Americans come up for this, whether supporting USA or another national team.