WCQ: Third Round - Window 5 (March 24 - 30, 2022)

Cblake

I been worried, I'm always worried really. Costa Rica is playing for their life...But last window, I thought Borjan, David, Hoilett and Adekugbe came up bigger than usual.  In this one Eustaquio and Laryea surely will have extra motivation, and I'm hoping Tajon and Millar will come up bigger than usual.

26 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

With so many people a little worried about the next window I wonder if I should dust off the crystal ball early?

Did your crystal ball ease the minds of the Nervous Nellies in the last window? If memory serves me the answer to that question is NO! But go ahead, I'm interested. My crystal ball - not as potent as yours - predicts a minimum   of 5 - 7 points.

I thought you'd never ask. For the CR game it's gonna be a tie game probably 1-1 or 2-2. Then it's 2 more wins for 7 pts total. You are on the ball.

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Did your crystal ball ease the minds of the Nervous Nellies in the last window? If memory serves me the answer to that question is NO! But go ahead, I'm interested. My crystal ball - not as potent as yours - predicts a minimum   of 5 - 7 points.

Depends on what people are worried about. I am not all that worried about us qualifying (even though I know it hasn't officially happened yet and is technically still possible for it to not happen if many unlikely results go against us and we lose all three games). I am slightly worried (due to possible injury accumulations in certain areas) that we aren't going to go undefeated and remain in first though, which is something I would like us to do and which I know the team is aiming for.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

No matter what, we've come a long way from 2015 and 2017 where we had Haber leading the line and Floro sending on the likes of Andre Hainault when we needed a goal lmao

More like 2013 and 2015. 

2017 was actually a decent year. Compared to the previous 5 years it was amazing with the emergence of Davies and us being able to not only score but advance out of the Gold Cup group stage.

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

More like 2013 and 2015. 

2017 was actually a decent year. Compared to the previous 5 years it was amazing with the emergence of Davies and us being able to not only score but advance out of the Gold Cup group stage.

oh yes! my bad I'll edit that. I don't know why I confused 2015 and 2017. I remember having Larin in a pre-fun time GC and he missed an open net.

Despite reasons to be concerned (no Davies, Larin out of form, David with just 1 goal since last window, Laryea not playing), I still expect this team to go and take points from Costa Rica and Panama, while not getting 3 against Jamaica would be a disappointment. Is that crazy? I mean, this team just took 9 points without Davies. At this point I think it's less about the form of individual players and more about the team mentality and our refusal to lose. We'll be more than okay.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Look at the bright side! It's over. They're a good team now and maybe a great team real soon.

A good organization looks at contingency planning, (something my company didn't do when their original four employees all retired in the same month) :)

What happens when the talismatic Herdsman is gone.  We have players who are great under him, I don't know if we will have enough players who will be great without him. I would hope some of the young hopefuls will fulfill that.

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

No matter what, we've come a long way from 2013 (Repuerne wonder strike good times) and 2015 where we had Haber leading the line and Floro sending on the likes of Andre Hainault when we needed a goal lmao

edit: wrong years.

That Hainault sub is legendary and frankly needs more recognition 

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Is it crazy to cheer for a tie in Costa Rica so we can officially clinch in Toronto back home? Scenes

Here's a solution. Place a bet on Canada to Win or Draw. That way if that happens, we qualify AND you make money. And if they lose, even though you lost money at least you get the joy of seeing them most likely clinch at home live.

Was watching Sevilla-West Ham today and must say, Corona, Tecatito, was really good, top quality. Not sure about their other roster pieces, but if they are doing at all that well, they are going to have a good window. Gave me a feeling that coming into these games, after so much crap they've seen, they are going to beat the US handily. I would not be suprised if they had a nine point window, which does oblige us to get at least a 5.

45 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Here's a solution. Place a bet on Canada to Win or Draw. That way if that happens, we qualify AND you make money. And if they lose, even though you lost money at least you get the joy of seeing them most likely clinch at home live.

In Vancouver we call that the Don Taylor theory 

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

What happens when the talismatic Herdsman is gone.  We have players who are great under him, I don't know if we will have enough players who will be great without him. I would hope some of the young hopefuls will fulfill that.

Atiba takes over as player-coach?

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

A good organization looks at contingency planning, (something my company didn't do when their original four employees all retired in the same month) :)

What happens when the talisman Herdsman is gone.  We have players who are great under him, I don't know if we will have enough players who will be great without him. I would hope some of the young hopefuls will fulfill that.

You mean like the women winning Olympic Gold three years after Herdman moved on? TBH, I shared your concern but it looks like Herdman has influenced more than just coaching in the CSA.

Edited by Sal333