WCQ: Third Round - Window 5 (March 24 - 30, 2022)

Cblake

Just now, narduch said:

I was thinking he may show up at the April U20 camp

I think he wanted to be around the senior set up to choose. Would have been in 2021 and this Jan was supposed to be crossover too. 

Id be delighted if he was in the u20 camp too but potentially giving him olivieri and a bunch of u20s that haven't played together before to give him an impression of how we roll could be a disaster.

Either way Flores repping Mexico just opens up a path for someone else.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Either way Flores repping Mexico just opens up a path for someone else.

^^^  Exactly this.   Flores who???  Kone looks pretty good and he has signed on the dotted line, no dinking around, no waiting, no relatives texting about slights and youth camps he never got called for. Kone is here, he wants into the program, BOOM you just leapfrogged Flores or Mitrovic etc.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

^^^  Exactly this.   Flores who???  Kone looks pretty good and he has signed on the dotted line, no dinking around, no waiting, no relatives texting about slights and youth camps he never got called for. Kone is here, he wants into the program, BOOM you just leapfrogged Flores or Mitrovic etc.  

I just want to make sure: is Kone locked up even without appearing in a match? Or is he "all but locked up"?

52 minutes ago, ESG Shawn said:

Happy for Kone - will be nice to get him cap tied. 

Only for the next 3 years. Since he's under 21 (and this is not a finals, like world cup or gold cup), he could still switch after 3 years of inactivity. If he plays in all 3 games (unlikely, i know), then he would be cap tied. It's the same reason Enes Sali is still not fully cap tied to Romania.

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Exactly. I'm sick and tired of these kids families toying around with the CSA as if their kid is some irreplaceable god or something. 

17 minutes ago, Addona said:

I just want to make sure: is Kone locked up even without appearing in a match? Or is he "all but locked up"?

I guarantee he sees the pitch.  Herdman is genuinely excited about this kid.  No way he doesn’t seal the deal in the coming window now that he has accepted a call up.  

14 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Only for the next 3 years. Since he's under 21 (and this is not a finals, like world cup or gold cup), he could still switch after 3 years of inactivity. If he plays in all 3 games (unlikely, i know), then he would be cap tied. It's the same reason Enes Sali is still not fully cap tied to Romania.

Now that he is in the fold I am equally confident that we will make sure he gets enough time to keep him involved (and locked down).  Based on what we have seen, there is no way he drops off the radar so much that he becomes eligible for CI.  For that time happen he would have to crash and burn to the point where CI wouldn’t be interested.     

23 minutes ago, narduch said:

Herdman mentioned he is not worried about Eustaquio and Laryea lack of playing time

I am in the same camp.  Both of those guys are insanely fit, and I am confident both will be ready to go 100% from the opening whistle.  Richie may not be playing game (which would be ideal) but he will be training hard as hell in England trying to earn a spot with NF.  

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You need to hear this kid speak. He is well-spoken, quiet, humble and appreciative of everything he has. He's also in love with Montreal. This kid is gonna be a blessing for Canada on and off the pitch.

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am in the same camp.  Both of those guys are insanely fit, and I am confident both will be ready to go 100% from the opening whistle.  Richie may not be playing game (which would be ideal) but he will be training hard as hell in England trying to earn a spot with NF.  

Exactly. If Richie and Eustaquio don't play for some time, they'll be back to near full form once they see the pitch again. But if my fat ass doesn't see the pitch in 3 months, I won't be able to run for more than 20 seconds.

I'm late to the conversation about what my kids think about soccer, but I'll still contribute. We recently got a new rug and our TV mounted on the wall, which can be positioned at different angles. The rug caused me to get a static shock when touching the TV and my 6 year old said "The TV doesn't like you because you always put boring soccer on."

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Now that he is in the fold I am equally confident that we will make sure he gets enough time to keep him involved (and locked down).  Based on what we have seen, there is no way he drops off the radar so much that he becomes eligible for CI.  For that time happen he would have to crash and burn to the point where CI wouldn’t be interested.    

We would have thought the same thing about Tabla. Now here we are, 3.5 years since his first cap and he only has 2 caps. Akinola is a very different example. Made his debut last summer and is still at 2 caps, and who knows if/when he gets capped again.

I'm not going to lose sleep over whether Kone ends up playing for Ivory Coast some day, but I wouldn't say there is no way he drops off Canada's radar. He's only played 7 pro games. I hope he does well though, he has looked good in the games I've seen him play.