WCQ: Third Round - Window 5 (March 24 - 30, 2022)

Cblake

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Anyone else a touch nervous about this window?

- Phonzie still hasn't played.
- David club form not up to par.
- Eustaquio subbed after 30 minutes in his first start
- Laryea not playing
- Larin playing sporadically

No, I think we’ll be fine. We just got 9 points from a window without Davies and mostly without Eustaquio, and with MLS players being out of season. David hasn’t been scoring but he’s looked good still. Eustaquio has played fine despite limited minutes. Laryea should be fine and if he isn’t, we have Buchanan to play RWB or just go back 4 with Johnston at RB.

The silver lining is that all of our guys seem to really elevate their game for the red and white.  The TFC guys played lights out for us even when they and their teams were mediocre in MLS.  The pessimist/CMNTPTSD-sufferer is always nervous before big windows but I am pretty confident the boys will come ready to take it home.  

11 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Anyone else a touch nervous about this window?

- Phonzie still hasn't played.
- David club form not up to par.
- Eustaquio subbed after 30 minutes in his first start
- Laryea not playing
- Larin playing sporadically

Yes and No. 

Yes for those reasons and that I feel that in the last window we may have benefited from playing two teams that didn't play well  and the outcome was more attributable to the fact that Hon and ES were poor as opposed to us playing well.   And, there might be a feeling of overconfidence and invincibility setting in.  No doubt CRC and Pan will be much tougher away matches than ES and Hon.   

And No because we are comfortably ahead and we are not going to go 0 for 9.   We might still qualify if we lose all three games and  plus I believe that three points against Jamaica at home is very realistic and that's all we need to secure a spot.  Jamaica might send a B squad.  I am not worried at all about the spot in Qatar.    

Edited by Free kick

Last club match before the international window:

Friday, March 18
Fraser - K.M.S.K. Deinze
Ugbo - Troyes

Saturday March 19th
Johnston - CF Montréal
Miller - CF Montréal
Brault-Guillard - CF Montréal
Pantemis - CF Montréal
Breza - CF Montréal
Piette - CF Montréal
Kaye- Colorado
Osorio -TFC
Akindele - Orlando
Pasher - Houston
Laryea - Nottingham Forest
Hoilett - Reading FC
Hutchinson - Beşiktaş
Larin - Beşiktaş
Adekugbe - Hatayspor ( suspended vs Costa Rica )
Leutwiler - Oldham (but has several club matches during the window)
David - Lille
Davies - Bayern Munich ( has not been medically cleared to play )

Sunday March 20th
Kennedy - Jahn Regensburg
Henry - LAFC ( suspended vs Costa Rica )
Crépeau - LAFC
Cavallini - Whitecaps
Gutiérrez - Whitecaps
Borjan - Red Star Belgrade
Vitória - Moreirense
Eustáquio - Porto
Millar - Basel
Buchanan - CLub Brugge

Unknown
Cornelius - Panetolikos

The only thing I am nervous about is if we don't clinch on the 24th, and if I am able to get tickets to the game on the 27th, we may clinch that game and I'm guessing they won't have Champagne on sale at BMO field. And I don't think Champagne from a flask will be very good.

I am also concerned that Davies doesn't play. Not for what it will do to our chances, but just because I miss watching him play.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

The only thing I am nervous about is if we don't clinch on the 24th, and if I am able to get tickets to the game on the 27th, we may clinch that game and I'm guessing they won't have Champagne on sale at BMO field. And I don't think Champagne from a flask will be very good.

I am also concerned that Davies doesn't play. Not for what it will do to our chances, but just because I miss watching him play.

Hide it in the bushes outside of BMO field and pray it's there after the match?😂

43 minutes ago, Shway said:

Is tailgating allowed at Canada games? 

Nothing to do with it being a Canada game, it depends on how much BMO Field Security wants to crack down on it, as they can change $13 for a beer inside.

My six-year-old daughter looked up at me yesterday during breakfast and asked, "Papa, how come Canada almost always wins at soccer?" 

And I thought about it some more and realised, yeah, in her short living memory, between this cycle of Men's WCQ  and the women in the Olympics, she has virtually only seen Canada tasting victory, on big stages no less.

And then, the kicker, "Can you coach ME at soccer one day too?"

What a time to be a Voyageur!

Edited by nolando

2 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

Neil Davidson just posted a photo of the BMO Field grass, and it doesn’t look good. 

I don’t remember the 1st games of the year looking that bad pre covid at BMO, since they installed the new stuff. 

I don't think they have ever played as early as March 5.

It has also been an abornamally bad winter in Toronto 

So the grass is bound to be shit.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I don't think they have ever played as early as March 5.

It has also been an abornamally bad winter in Toronto 

So the grass is bound to be shit.

Has it been that bad? 🤔

I too thought the field would be in a lot better shape.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Has it been that bad? 🤔

I too thought the field would be in a lot better shape.

By far the worst winter I think I've seen since the 90s.  The one storm alone in the middle of January was more snow than the previous few winters combined I think.

January seemed extremely cold as well.  February has been a little more bipolar weather.

Edited by Corazon

21 minutes ago, Shway said:

I must be delusional (or barely outside 🤭) but it hasn’t been that bad. Just that one big snowfall. 

As someone in Toronto I don't think I've seen a full field of grass since... Beginning January?  

Fuck the snow (that's not very Canadian of me I know).

Edited by Ally McCoist