Costa Rica played with COVID-positive players – JFF doctor

Cblake

That's awesome. Great work Costa Rica. More of this is needed 

Next thing countries should be be doing is ignoring capacity restrictions at stadiums 

I now return you to your normally scheduled Kabuki theatre 

What the hell! This is outrageous. People are dying. Where's Arbutus Biopharma when you need them?

13 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

That's awesome. Great work Costa Rica. More of this is needed 

Next thing countries should be be doing is ignoring capacity restrictions at stadiums 

I now return you to your normally scheduled Kabuki theatre 

What the hell! This is outrageous. People are dying. Where's Arbutus Biopharma when you need them?

Come on man, let's keep it to the possible footballing implications. We all know where you stand on this, I don't care to watch another thread descend into chaos while you look for reactions.

Do we want another COVID discussion? Fuck no. Are there potential outcomes from this that could affect CONCACAF qualifying and possibly our next window. Yes, and that is all we care about here. Please let's just all enjoy this national team and leave the intentional attempts to antagonize at the door

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

If this game gets overturned its possible all 3 of our last window games will be meaningful. 

Even if they aren't totally meaningful for us.

Getting eliminated but then getting un-eliminated because the other team had 3 players test positive for a virus they had a month ago would be peak concacaf.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Getting eliminated but then getting un-eliminated because the other team had 3 players test positive for a virus they had a month ago would be peak concacaf.

FIFA must have some protocols/rules set up for how Qualifying works during Covid (testing requirements/procedures, etc)

I'm guessing most of us have no idea what the official rules are and are just going off speculation.

Edited by narduch

16 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Come on man, let's keep it to the possible footballing implications. We all know where you stand on this, I don't care to watch another thread descend into chaos while you look for reactions.

Do we want another COVID discussion? Fuck no. Are there potential outcomes from this that could affect CONCACAF qualifying and possibly our next window. Yes, and that is all we care about here. Please let's just all enjoy this national team and leave the intentional attempts to antagonize at the door

I agree so why do I see so many people still going on about it and being disingenuous hypocrites. I come here for soccer. Let's keep it positive

Also better believe if Costa Rica get docked points. We'll be next. On top of clearly over selling the stadium, how many American supporters we're forced to not attend? Big competitive advantage 

Edited by SpursFlu

According to that article, the Jamaican FF “recommended” that the Costa Rican players in question didn’t play. Not sure that anything can be done about that after the fact. What is the Costa Rican federation “recommended” that those players did play? Isn’t Concacaf supposed to be in charge? And if it is a breach of eligibility requirements, isn’t Concacaf the ones that should be informed by the JFF before the match, rather than after?

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

According to that article, the Jamaican FF “recommended” that the Costa Rican players in question didn’t play. Not sure that anything can be done about that after the fact. What is the Costa Rican federation “recommended” that those players did play? Isn’t Concacaf supposed to be in charge? And if it is a breach of eligibility requirements, isn’t Concacaf the ones that should be informed by the JFF before the match, rather than after?

Everybody keeps bring up Concacaf.

The World Cup is a FIFA event.

10 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It could also come down to public health measures and regulations but unless someone here has an understanding of those its all speculation at this point. This is about 3 pt, 3 goals etc. that Jamaica could get, which would have a huge change of the dynamic of the match they would have against Canada come march. 

57 minutes ago, Cblake said:

This is about 3 pt, 3 goals etc. that Jamaica could get, which would have a huge change of the dynamic of the match they would have against Canada come march. 

I don't get how public health measures come into play, but I do get the impression the JFF are being shady, which would be in line with their reputation. The truth may prove otherwise, but I personally won't be giving them the benefit of the doubt, that's for sure.

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't get how public health measures come into play, but I do get the impression the JFF are being shady, which would be in line with their reputation. The truth may prove otherwise, but I personally won't be giving them the benefit of the doubt, that's for sure.

If they violated Jamaican health measures and the government says so, back the JFF account would that force CONCACAF's hand, thus they would have to punish Costa Rica? A time line of when these tests were taken and at what point did they know the positive results? At that point what actions were taken, were public health officials consulted on how to proceed. I know its different but here in Toronto the public health officer would have to approve someone returning to play? What do we know about Jamaica's current measures? 

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

If they violated Jamaican health measures and the government says so, back the JFF account would that force CONCACAF's hand, thus they would have to punish Costa Rica? A time line of when these tests were taken and at what point did they know the positive results? At that point what actions were taken, were public health officials consulted on how to proceed. I know its different but here in Toronto the public health officer would have to approve someone returning to play? What do we know about Jamaica's current measures? 

What Jamaican health measures? Entry into the country with a positive test? If that were the case it would have likely been mentioned, plus that would be on the Jamaican government. Maybe I am missing something, but I fail to see how public health measures come into play, let alone know what public health measures you are referring to.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Everybody keeps bring up Concacaf.

The World Cup is a FIFA event.

The JFF waited until after they lost match to inform FIFA, even though they knew this before the match. That's a red flag. 

They are not acting in the name of health or safety. They are trying to exploit the rules to overturn their elimination.

What's the point of testing before the match if the JFF and Costa Rica Football Fed turn a blind eye to the positive results?

The JFF lost the moral high ground by not contacting FIFA before the match. 

4 hours ago, narduch said:

FIFA must have some protocols/rules set up for how Qualifying works during Covid (testing requirements/procedures, etc)

I'm guessing most of us have no idea what the official rules are and are just going off speculation.

Aren't you just stating the obvious here?

The JFF waited until after they lost match to inform FIFA, even though they knew this before the match. That's a red flag. 

They are not acting in the name of health or safety. They are trying to exploit the rules to overturn their elimination.

What's the point of testing before the match if the JFF and Costa Rica Football Fed turn a blind eye to the positive results?

The JFF lost the moral high ground by not contacting FIFA before the match. 

Aren't you just stating the obvious here?

UT had this covered in his post on this topic. 

If you find your opponent using an illegal player you wait for after the match to file your complaint. There's nothing shady about that.

I think you are showing a bias here because of you don't think covid is a big deal.

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I agree so why do I see so many people still going on about it and being disingenuous hypocrites. I come here for soccer. Let's keep it positive

Also better believe if Costa Rica get docked points. We'll be next. On top of clearly over selling the stadium, how many American supporters we're forced to not attend? Big competitive advantage 

Overselling the stadium? What are you on about? lol Were you at THF?

1 hour ago, narduch said:

UT had this covered in his post on this topic. 

If you find your opponent using an illegal player you wait for after the match to file your complaint. There's nothing shady about that.

I think you are showing a bias here because of you don't think covid is a big deal.

I think you are showing the exact opposite bias, that's why you're excusing a JFF that has a reputation for corruption. You support anything and everything that magnifies covid. That's your M.O.

It was the same with your prediction that FIFA windows would be cancelled, which of course never happened. 

Anyway, here are some tidbits from the CR side of the story (forgive me if some of these were already mentioned):

• The CR players and staff were tested upon arrival.
  • 2 of the 3 players who tested positive were previously infected.
  • The new positive was isolated and the results were submitted to the FIFA delegation and local authorities.
  • At the same time, the documentation for the other two players' previous positive tests were submitted. 
  • Based on the documentation submitted by CR, both FIFA and CONCACAF approved the participation of said players.  
  • The Jamaican Medical team "recommended" the players not participate at halftime. 

So why did the Jamaican Medical team wait until half time to give their "recommendation"? Were they sitting on the information until half time, or did they just magically discover the information at halftime and immediately give the recommendation? What occurred at half time for them to suddenly come across the information (if that's what happened)? Seems rather odd. 

Furthermore, why did they simply "recommend" the players not play? Isn't it the medical teams' responsibility to keep the players safe? Why didn't they insist those players be immediately isolated, or did they? Did they plead with the FIFA delegation and their own coaching staff to halt the game out of precaution? I would love to know how this went down. 

Most importantly, sure you can wait until after the match to formally complain if your opponent is fielding an illegal player, generally speaking, but you wouldn't do that if you thought said players had a contagious virus because that'd be negligent.

So I will give you a choice: The JFF are either shady or negligent, pick one. 

Oh, and FIFA and CONCACAF both approved the participation of said players anyhow, supposedly. I expect this gamesmanship will amount to nothing for the Jamaicans. 

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you are showing the exact opposite bias, that's why you're excusing a JFF that has a reputation for corruption. You support anything and everything that magnifies covid. That's your M.O.

It was the same with your prediction that FIFA windows would be cancelled, which of course never happened. 

Anyway, here are some tidbits from the CR side of the story (forgive me if some of these were already mentioned):

• The new positive was isolated and the results were submitted to the FIFA delegation and local authorities.
  • At the same time, the documentation for the other two players' previous positive tests were submitted. 
  • Based on the documentation submitted by CR, both FIFA and CONCACAF approved the participation of said players.  
  • The Jamaican Medical team "recommended" the players not participate at halftime. 

So why did the Jamaican Medical team wait until half time to give their "recommendation"? Did they not have the information? Were they sitting on the information or did they just magically discover the information at halftime? What occurred at half time for them to suddenly come across the information (if that's what happened)? Seems rather odd. 

Furthermore, why did they simply "recommend" the players not play? Isn't it the medical teams' responsibility to keep the players safe? Why didn't they insist those players be immediately isolated, or did they? Did they plead with the FIFA delegation and their own coaching staff to halt the game out of precaution? I would love to know how this went down. 

Most importantly, sure you can wait until after the match to formally complain if your opponent is fielding an illegal player, generally speaking, but you wouldn't do that if you thought said players had a contagious virus because that'd be negligent.

Oh, and FIFA and CONCACAF both approved the participation of said players anyhow, supposedly. I expect this gamesmanship will amount to nothing for the Jamaicans. 

It's bleedingly obvious you are taking your stance because of your feelings about covid.

I'm not excusing anybody.

My stance is that we should wait for FIFA to investigating before speculating who is the aggrieved party here.

We don't have all the information or even the rules being used.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

It's bleedingly obvious you are taking your stance because of your feelings about covid.

I'm not excusing anybody.

My stance is that we should wait for FIFA to investigating before speculating who is the aggrieved party here.

We don't have all the information or even the rules being used.

What investigation? FIFA and CONCACAF already gave the players authorization to play as per the statement from CR federation. Are you suggesting they are lying?

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

What investigation? FIFA and CONCACAF already gave the players authorization to play as per the statement from CR federation. Are you suggesting they are lying?

If FIFA doesn't hand out any sanctions before the next window we will know whether CR or Jamaica were telling the truth.

So why did the Jamaican Medical team wait until half time to give their "recommendation"? Did they not have the information? Were they sitting on the information or did they just magically discover the information at halftime? What occurred at half time for them to suddenly come across the information (if that's what happened)? Seems rather odd. 

We need to hear from the Jamaican government and public health officials as they are the only entity that could have allowed the players to take the pitch. CONCACAF, FIFA ,whomever do not have the authority to let the players play. For example even when the NHL went to a 5 day isolation period for those who tested positive based on CDC recommendations Ontario still have a 10 day period which the NHL still had to respect for the teams based here. We also saw that when a player tested positive for say the Leafs, the only was they could return to play was when Toronto Public Health signed off on it. As such we need to know from the time the players landed and tested positive who, was advised of the situation and what measures were taken for the safety of the community as large. We need to know the facts, when, what, where etc. 

10 minutes ago, Cblake said:

We need to hear from the Jamaican government and public health officials as they are the only entity that could have allowed the players to take the pitch. CONCACAF, FIFA ,whomever do not have the authority to let the players play. For example even when the NHL went to a 5 day isolation period for those who tested positive based on CDC recommendations Ontario still have a 10 day period which the NHL still had to respect for the teams based here. We also saw that when a player tested positive for say the Leafs, the only was they could return to play was when Toronto Public Health signed off on it. As such we need to know from the time the players landed and tested positive who, was advised of the situation and what measures were taken for the safety of the community as large. We need to know the facts, when, what, where etc. 

We know the "Jamaican local authorities" (whatever that means) were given the results ahead of time according to the CR federation. I think it's safe to assume that includes Jamaican public health. 

I know what you're saying, but they did allow the players to take the pitch (obviously). Moreover, you are missing the forest for the trees, because whether the game gets overturned or not is a matter for FIFA, not the local government or Jamaican health authority. 

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

If FIFA doesn't hand out any sanctions before the next window we will know whether CR or Jamaica were telling the truth.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the losing federation that has a reputation for deceit and disfunction are the lying party.

Time will tell. 

Just now, theaub said:

Yeah I don't get what local health authorities have to do with anything here.

FIFA/CONCACAF acknowledged the positive tests and cleared the players, so they are good to play.  

They are the only entity that could have allowed the players to play. FIFA/CONCAF would have only been allowed to let the players take the pitch once the government/health officials had given clearance. Yes as of now the only sanctions will come from CONCAF/FIFA as the game has been played, but a timeline of who knew what and when will help determine what actions are taken.