Report - In the brazilian broadcast a reporter said that Brazil plans to play a friendly against a concacaf team, and it's probably Canada.

Cblake

37 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Brazil and other big country NT’s would most definitely only play on natural grass.  

Exactly,  there is no player of any kind renown who play on that surface at commonwealth.   MLS teams with Fieldturf surfaces that are in infinitely better conditions, have refused to sign for team who play on fieldturf.  

does anyone seriously think Neymar will set foot on that surface?  

45 minutes ago, theaub said:

Eh I wouldn't totally believe that.  Hell I remember Brazil (with Neymar et al) playing on that awful Rogers Centre turf a few years back.  They'll chase the money.

Ok you got me.  I have spent the 15 minutes thinking when it was that Neymar or Brazil ever played at the Rogers centre.  i cant think of any..    Am i losing my mind?

The only games i know of that were played at the Rogers cntre were:

The Liverpool friendly vs TFC whereby they demanded that a grass surface be installed 

TFC-LAG CCL quarter finals match

An early season TFC match or two.  one against SKC

Thats it.  

Edited by Free kick

Just now, Free kick said:

Ok you got me.  I have spent the 15 minutes thinking when it was that Neymar or Brazil ever played at the Rogers centre.  i cant think of anytime.    

The Liverpool friendly vs TFC whereby they demanded that a grass surface be installed 

TFC-LAG CCl match

an early season TFC match or two

Thats it.  

Brazil played Chile at the Rogers Centre. It was a pre 2018 WC tune up. Trust me I was there

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I see the posts on Brazil, but this: I'm pretty sure we'd play it in Europe. 

I think it would really depend on what other playing obligations you ie Nations League. But yes, no shortage of stadium of all sizes in London if you wanted an easy place to get in and out of. Canada did play Australia at Craven Cottage in 2013. I think if it were vs. Brazil it would be at one the big stadiums where you could sell tickets. 

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Is there any word about here or there?

No, I could see Brazil here or Argentina, lots of money to be made. If a promoter got involved, could this ended up at Metlife or something where you could see over 80K in the building. It will be interesting. Imagine Italy at BMO Field with Insignia taking the pitch. The choices are endless. I am sure the CSA will be somewhat strategic in how they approach this. These are unprecedented times. 

22 hours ago, Free kick said:

Ok you got me.  I have spent the 15 minutes thinking when it was that Neymar or Brazil ever played at the Rogers centre.  i cant think of any..    Am i losing my mind?

TFC-LAG CCL quarter finals match

An early season TFC match or two.  one against SKC

Thats it.  

The three games in that stadium that I have been to were TFC vs LA, Brazil vs Chile, and Manchester United vs Celtic.

I don't remember the early season TFC matches you are alluding to. Was that in the early years for TFC? I only started getting obsessive about them in 2011.

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

The three games in that stadium that I have been to were TFC vs LA, Brazil vs Chile, and Manchester United vs Celtic.

I don't remember the early season TFC matches you are alluding to. Was that in the early years for TFC? I only started getting obsessive about them in 2011.

I've been to 4 soccer games there.

In 2013 TFC played its home opener v KC at the SkyDome. I will never forget because I won the 50/50.

I also watched Roma v Celtics there way back in 2006.

In 2005 I was at Italy v Serbia too.

And of course TFC v LA Galaxy Champions League game

Edited by narduch

Nations League specifics:
https://us6.campaign-archive.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5&id=1fb624a536

FIFA windows:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/88176dce3738a428/original/cd3qpcttmbbjowbso2tz-pdf.pdf

Assuming Canada stays in the top 3 of CONCACAF rankings through March (or we end up as the WC playoff qualifier), then we will be in Group A pot 1.

Group A teams have 4 matches and pot 1 teams will not have matches the second week of the June 2022 window.

So for Canada that leaves:
2022 - May 30 to June 7 - 2 Nations League matches
2023 - March 20 to 28 - 2 Nations League matches

Open for friendlies:
2022 - June 8 - 14 - 2 matches
2022 - Sept 19 - 27 - 2 matches
2022 - Nov 14 - 21 - maybe 1 or 2 matches depending on the date of the world cup game 1

Total is up to 6 friendlies before the WC.

2 hours ago, ardsa said:

Nations League specifics:
https://us6.campaign-archive.com/?e=[UNIQID]&u=78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5&id=1fb624a536

FIFA windows:

https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/88176dce3738a428/original/cd3qpcttmbbjowbso2tz-pdf.pdf

Assuming Canada stays in the top 3 of CONCACAF rankings through March (or we end up as the WC playoff qualifier), then we will be in Group A pot 1.

Group A teams have 4 matches and pot 1 teams will not have matches the second week of the June 2022 window.

So for Canada that leaves:
2022 - May 30 to June 7 - 2 Nations League matches
2023 - March 20 to 28 - 2 Nations League matches

Open for friendlies:
2022 - June 8 - 14 - 2 matches
2022 - Sept 19 - 27 - 2 matches
2022 - Nov 14 - 21 - maybe 1 or 2 matches depending on the date of the world cup game 1

Total is up to 6 friendlies before the WC.

I guess if you go on the premise that Canada's June Nation League games were June 4th and 8th, somewhere around there, a friendly on the 13th makes sense. Unless there first match was as as early as June 1st, you could adjust. I do not see a European opponent in the June window, UEFA Nations League is in full swing. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_UEFA_Nations_League

I think September will be the window where we see a high profile friendly against one of the big boys. Most likely we will only see one in November on the ground in Qatar against a team in a different group. 

Edited by Cblake

Standard World Cup prep protocol is wait for the draw to see the match ups. Then, at least play 3 friendlies against 3 similar playing opponents. So, if facing no South American nation in the group stage, playing against Brasil or Argentina shouldn't be one of the three friendlies.

One match should also be played in the Middle East - that could be a fourth friendly vs Brasil or Argentina since the Middle East tends to often pay up to see these 2 countries. I believe only Davies has played in Qatar.

FIFA provides $US2 million for each qualified nation to get ready for the World Cup. So, playing friendlies shouldn't be about prioritizing financial/marketing. But obviously, there needs to be at least a domestic send off match.

Edited by red card

Nick Bontis was on Rollins' podcast and namedropped Argentina and England.  It was more in the context of "we could face the likes of" but I am going to go ahead and jump to conclusions because I'm in that kind of mood today.

I can see us being an attractive opponent for England with the story of Herdman getting a lot of attention there. The only possible time to play them or any European opponent is before the June window at the end of May.  UEFA teams have 4 Nations league matches in June and 2 more in September.

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan