Report - In the brazilian broadcast a reporter said that Brazil plans to play a friendly against a concacaf team, and it's probably Canada.

Cblake

5 minutes ago, Cblake said:

The only thing is in September you have two Nations League matches, will be interesting to see how everything falls into place. 

I just checked Wikipedia (I know it could be wrong). It says our 4 group games would be in June for nations league and the finals are March 2023. It looks like September has a 2 game international window and there isn’t one for October. 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I just checked Wikipedia (I know it could be wrong). It says our 4 group games would be in June for nations league and the finals are March 2023. It looks like September has a 2 game international window and there isn’t one for October. 

There are four match days in June and two in September for Nations League. You play a total of 4 games in the group stage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_CONCACAF_Nations_League

3 minutes ago, Cblake said:

There are four match days in June and two in September for Nations League. You play a total of 4 games in the group stage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_CONCACAF_Nations_League

Yes, and all our 4 group stage games would be played in June I assume? Then the finals are in March. League B plays 6 games so they would need September to finish their group. The other issue would be whoever gets the intercontinental spot. They need 2 games in June for that. 

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes, and all our 4 group stage games would be played in June I assume? Then the finals are in March. League B plays 6 games so they would need September to finish their group. The other issue would be whoever gets the intercontinental spot. They need 2 games in June for that. 

The International playoff is one game this time around in Qatar. 

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Its still six matchdays for the group (since one team is always on bye).  So two teams play three matches in June/one in September and the other plays two matches in June/two in September.

e: just to add onto this, the Nations League schedule therefore makes it unlikely we'll be able to have a friendly in Europe, so the Brazil thing would make sense. 

Edited by theaub

Canada once we qualify, I can see us playing friendlies also in September and October given that the 2022 World Cup starts in November specifically on November 22nd of this year.

I would take that Brazil friendly but then which other countries to face in friendly matches?

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

We are going to be a hot commodity for friendlies.

We should even consider have some on non FIFA dates like in July 

I think we’ll have to see what our schedule is like for Nations League and who the competition is.  If it’s weak, I suspect they might give a couple games here or there off to a few guys to get some rest, then add a friendly or 2 against someone in July.

The other question is when do leagues shut down in the fall?  I assume Canada would get a good 2 weeks together before Qatar.  It would make sense to have the camp in Europe to have a couple games against some countries not in the tournament before settling in Doha.

1 minute ago, EJsens1 said:

I think we’ll have to see what our schedule is like for Nations League and who the competition is.  If it’s weak, I suspect they might give a couple games here or there off to a few guys to get some rest, then add a friendly or 2 against someone in July.

The other question is when do leagues shut down in the fall?  I assume Canada would get a good 2 weeks together before Qatar.  It would make sense to have the camp in Europe to have a couple games against some countries not in the tournament before settling in Doha.

I have to double check but I don't think there will be a lot of time from when Euro leagues will break and the start of the World Cup. 

Plus most leagues will start earlier than usual due to the break

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Canada once we qualify, I can see us playing friendlies also in September and October given that the 2022 World Cup starts in November specifically on November 22nd of this year.

I would take that Brazil friendly but then which other countries to face in friendly matches?

France, England, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Argentina, Chile, Wales, Scotland.

Take your pick. We'll have April till October to schedule games. We really should look at playing 4 or five of the top world teams.

Edited by Sal333

There will also be opportunities to schedule a friendly for the participating teams once on the ground in Qatar in the lead up to the World Cup. With compacted MLS schedule and the post-season in October, the summer is really the only time to do something when considering the Nations League matches. Could you have a friendly in the lead up to the June Nations League matches?

Edited by Cblake

8 minutes ago, Cblake said:

There will also be opportunities to schedule a friendly for the participating teams once on the ground in Qatar in the lead up to the World Cup. With compacted MLS schedule and the post-season in October, the summer is really the only time to do something when considering the Nations League matches. Could you have a friendly in the lead up to the June Nations League matches?

Yes, its likely we will have one friendly in June and one in September.

4 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I wasn’t sure, but checked and Euro ‘24 qualifying doesn’t start until March of ‘23, so it’s plausible a country or 2 might come over here to play a game against Canada, the US or Mexico 

13 minutes ago, Shway said:

Could we see Canada field a B team in the CNL, in order to play the likes of Brazil in friendly?

I think that’s the only way this works.

The FIFA break for June is May 30-June 14. Here is an example of how it could work. In 2011, in the same similar time frame for the Gold Cup, the US played a friendly vs. Spain on June 4th, Canada in the Gold Cup on the 7th and Panama on the 11th. So getting three matches into this window is doable. So then the question becomes the roster makeup, that is where it gets interesting, as many guys seasons in Europe just ended. For a guy like Phonzie, the potential of Champions League Final, which takes place on May 28th. Lots to figure out here, the prospects can only excite us. 

Edited by Cblake

52 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

France, England, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Spain, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Argentina, Chile, Wales, Scotland.

Take your pick. We'll have April till October to schedule games. We really should look at playing 4 or five of the top world teams.

In that equation if I'm Canada, for friendlies I would reach out to Scotland, Wales, Argentina and reigning world Champions France for friendlies.

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but when would the draw for Concacaf Nations League take place? Does Canada now get moved up to be one of the four seeded teams in the final 12 (4 groups of 3 teams last time), and thus avoid being in a group with USA (like last time) or Mexico?  

5 minutes ago, Team Canada said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier but when would the draw for Concacaf Nations League take place? Does Canada now get moved up to be one of the four seeded teams in the final 12 (4 groups of 3 teams last time), and thus avoid being in a group with USA (like last time) or Mexico?  

The draw for the league phase will take place in April 2022