Canada's run to the World Cup is beautiful, it is about inclusion, bringing us all together, let's celebrate that ( :

Cblake

1 hour ago, red card said:

It's the national team - it's inherently representing a political entity. 

I find when people say "not to politicise" something, it's usually because they don't agree with the viewpoint being supported.

Lots of political stuff has been done at North American club pro league games - especially south of the border and often paid without disclosure by a wing of the government - without a peep from "lets not political" crowd that has emerged in the past decade.

Please elaborate and provide an example, my memory needs jarring. Are you referring to the NFL over the past few years and taking the knee?

20 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Mods: if you're going to allow the apologists for the fuckwits congregating in Ottawa over the past few days have their say, please open it up for anyone to post a rebuttal.

Who said you weren't allowed to retort brother? Speak your mind. I want to gauge where you're at and where you still need to go.

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Just call them nazis.

Thats what they are basically.

I love how that pisses them off too. But what do you expect when you have zero self awareness 

true-detective-trailer-2.jpg.0801629ea065592ef1e438ac54df5aa4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I heard about that. I heard it was a handful of people out of the thousands who are there. You can't let a few bad apples tarnish the whole crowd. 

You are a dope if you really believe that.

This is a bullshit white washing.

The entire movement is based on white supremacy.

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Please elaborate and provide an example, my memory needs jarring. Are you referring to the NFL over the past few years and taking the knee?

The NFL was a well-reported financial relationship with the NFL, including military nights/theme months, flyovers, etc. It is hard to think of anything more political than that.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

This is a bullshit white washing.

The entire movement is based in white supremacy.

Where are you getting this from? Who told you such things?

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

The NFL was a well-reported financial relationship with the NFL, including military nights/theme months, flyovers, etc. It is hard to think of anything more political than that.

Yes, the military is political but it's rather bi-partisan when it comes to an American context.  

In what sense besides the one or two people allegedly carrying flags or symbols of fallen states?

Look, I don't want to turn this supporters group into something political, so I will say this and leave it at that. I know it's not everyone participating in this, and is just the bad apples. But they stole food from the homeless, they threw rocks at an ambulance, small businesses had to close their doors because ppl we're so rude and inconsiderate. I mean WTF, what happened to being a nice, polite, friendly Canadian.

Anyways. that's all I have to say. 

WE FUCKING OWN CONCACAF, and we're headed to Qatar!!!!! Can't wait to see you all in March! Big 3 points tomorrow!

You edited your comment with the bolded. I'll bite. How so?

You are being willfully ignorant if you are trying to deny the links to the Ottawa convoy and ultra right wing movents in this country.

As the ant-vaxxer morons would say: educate yourself.

23 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

Look, I don't want to turn this supporters group into something political, so I will say this and leave it at that. I know it's not everyone participating in this, and is just the bad apples. But they stole food from the homeless, they threw rocks at an ambulance, small businesses had to close their doors because ppl we're so rude and inconsiderate. I mean WTF, what happened to being a nice, polite, friendly Canadian.

CBC and the PM may have alluded to these things but why would you honestly take anything they have to say at face value?

Edited by Macksam

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

You are being willfully ignorant if you are trying to deny the links to the Ottawa convoy and ultra right wing movents in this country.

As the ant-vaxxer morons would say: educate yourself.

Not trying to be willfully ignorant bro. I just need to see the evidence. I am open to your accusations but I have to see the evidence. 

22 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

You guys don't have to rebut anything. I am sorry that my differing opinion begging for openness and kindness is so very troubling. I will see myself out.

If somebody in charge will PM me a mailing address then I will send the shirt back. If only it were so easy to deal with this darn tattoo.

Cry me a river. Choices have consequences. You are in a situation you don't like because you have chosen to be. 

You know who doesn't have any choice? All the people worked to the bone, going on three years in healthcare. Working double, triple shifts. Putting themselves, and their families at risk. They have to, no choice. Largely to deal with those freedom loving, me firsters who choose to be burden to society. How do you think healthcare workers feel when they know full well that the ICU bed is being taken up by someone who made the individual choice not to be vaccinated? Knowing that it means that a cancer patient's treatment is delayed? 

And you are looking for sympathy because you can't get on a plane? The self-entitlement is unreal. 

I'm going to make a bold prediction: Someone in this thread on the Canadian Men's Soccer Team forum, any post now, is going to win the COVID/lockdown/vaccine dispute once and for all with a brilliantly unanswerable argument and political and social harmony will sweep the nation. And we'll know who the Nazis/fascists/communist/whatever are even they will go "yup" and immediately cross sides because the better argument won.

41 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

You guys don't have to rebut anything. I am sorry that my differing opinion begging for openness and kindness is so very troubling. I will see myself out.

If somebody in charge will PM me a mailing address then I will send the shirt back. If only it were so easy to deal with this darn tattoo.

No need to be dramatic. I say that with all due respect, Tyler (because you've earned that much from me, at least).

You admitted in your first post that you expected to be ridiculed — at the very least — so you don't need to see yourself out after a handful of posts did just that. I personally believe you're dead wrong for thinking the country is more divided than ever, and I vehemently disagree with your family's choice to not get vaccinated. 

But this is a soccer forum, and while we are indeed all cheering for a team that represents a political entity, I see no reason for you to "turn in your badge" (as it were) simply because your non-soccer beliefs are in the minority.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Geez, based on all the animosity in this thread, I'd hate to see what will happen if someone starts a celebratory thread after we've actually qualified for the World Cup.....

It'll be fine.