Canada's run to the World Cup is beautiful, it is about inclusion, bringing us all together, let's celebrate that ( :

Cblake

Sunday was a wonderful day we had in Hamilton because it was all about inclusion. This was not the easiest week for our country with all that has gone on Ottawa and some of the things we have seen. We as a country are better than that and the World Cup Qualifier was an example of the good. At Tim Horton's Field and across the country we for the most part welcome people of all different races, colours, religions and creeds come together and it has been beautiful to see. Everyone has the right to live in a safe society that welcomes all. This World Cup campaign that Canada is on the verge of will bring us together even more, that is that what makes the "Beautiful Game" so wonderful. Peace, Love and Joy to you and us all.

No description available.

I feel that this Qualifying campaign needs a Netflix/Prime Documentary Series or at least a TSN/Sportsnet Special when it's all said and done.  I doubt there has been another team with such meteoric rise in such a short time.  Hopefully a Qualifying Campaign that changes the sport in this country forever.

Edited by Corazon

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

Trying to take a beat and really enjoy this ride. We will never have this again. Knocking off firsts, exceeding expectations and capturing the attention of the nation. Climbing from 117 in the world to top 40 in 5 years.

The rise of the Canadian team can be used for many good things and the story does need to be told. Especially when you consider that it's two starts in Phonzie and Jonathan both came to our country as kids. Phonzie being born in a Ghana refugee camp and Jonathan in Brooklyn, growing up in Haiti. It shows what Canada has been about, a multi-cultural society built on the backs of immigration. It is pretty special.  

32 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I feel that this Qualifying campaign needs a Netflix/Prime Documentary Series or at least a TSN/Sportsnet Special when it's all said and done.  I doubt there has been another team with such meteoric rise in such a short time.  Hopefully a Qualifying Campaign that changes the sport in this country forever.

I remember a couple years ago, which feels like an eternity after everything Covid, movie theatres did a blitz where you could go watch all the Marvel movies leading up to End Game.  Try doing that with all the qualifying games.  Even though you know the results, you’d still get people yelling at the screen for a bad play or pinch. 

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Sunday was a wonderful day we had in Hamilton because it was all about inclusion. This was not the easiest week for our country with all that has gone on Ottawa and some of the things we have seen. We as a country are better than that and the World Cup Qualifier was an example of the good. At Tim Horton's Field and across the country we for the most part welcome people of all different races, colours, religions and creeds come together and it has been beautiful to see. Everyone has the right to live in a safe society that welcomes all. This World Cup campaign that Canada is on the verge of will bring us together even more, that is that what makes the "Beautiful Game" so wonderful. Peace, Love and Joy to you and us all.

No description available.

It would be best not to politicize the national team. 

9 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Sports has always been political in way because of the the platform it holds in society. Some people are comfortable with it, some are not, there is nothing wrong with that. I think in my eyes at least Sunday in Hamilton showed the good while up in Ottawa it was the opposite. 

2 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Trying to take a beat and really enjoy this ride. We will never have this again. Knocking off firsts, exceeding expectations and capturing the attention of the nation. Climbing from 117 in the world to top 40 in 5 years.

World, more like.

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Sports has always been political in way because of the the platform it holds in society. Some people are comfortable with it, some are not, there is nothing wrong with that. I think in my eyes at least Sunday in Hamilton showed the good while up in Ottawa it was the opposite. 

In Canada citizens have a right to protest. Protests, and events, of all kinds bring out bad actors but it shouldn't diminish those who are peacefully demonstrating. 

There were also bad actors at the match in Hamilton (i.e. ice and projectiles thrown at Americans). Fortunately for us, the media has chosen to highlight the positive attributes of our support on Sunday.

Just some food for thought. 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

It's the national team - it's inherently representing a political entity. 

I find when people say "not to politicise" something, it's usually because they don't agree with the viewpoint being supported.

Lots of political stuff has been done at North American club pro league games - especially south of the border and often paid without disclosure by a wing of the government - without a peep from "lets not political" crowd that has emerged in the past decade.

I will likely be banned, suspended or at the very least ridiculed for this. I have zero faith in this country's ability to hear a narrative other than the accepted one. I concede that this is only half related to soccer, and I appeal as a longstanding member of this community to allow some latitude to put forward my perspective.

On unity:

Right now the national team is an escape from the sorry state in which our country finds itself. I can honestly say that following the CMNT is unexpectedly the happiest part of my life over the last year or so. The rest of the country is in severe decline and in my 36 years I cannot recall ever seeing it so divided.

I have long told myself that should Canada ever qualify again that I will be present in person for the World Cup. As it stands I am forbidden to travel abroad or on a plane within my own country. My spouse is fired from her career of 10 years. My friends protest and petition for my child to be segregated from theirs. My entire world has closed in around me. Of course this is all due to vaccine hesitation. Meanwhile, I anticipate punitive taxation, to be jailed, and to be denied healthcare should the need (for any reason) arise.

I put my travel budget to see these world cup qualifiers into the Vees flag and tifo funds because I am banned from the stadiums. My own government tells me that I am unemployable by them, but yet since I am self-employed they drop their vehicles off to me to be repaired at my private shop. Locally, the Yukon's Public Service Minister shakes my hand after working alongside me during last summer's floods; I had volunteered for the day with my own heavy equipment to fill and haul sandbags. Yet he is the one who fires my wife, and he fails to respond to calls or emails when prompted.  The hypocrisy boggles the mind and I am persona non grata within my own community (unless my services are needed).

The PM calls me racist, misogynist, fringe and unacceptable. Meanwhile, I have stood shoulder to shoulder with a number of you on the terraces, sharing in song, drink, revelry and despair. I never once cared or treated you differently on account of your skin colour, gender, political leanings or health status. I have lived previously in Ottawa and have mourned at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Nov 11, and doffed my cap to the statue of Terry Fox not long after my own father died of cancer at the age of 45. Yet if I were to travel to Ottawa tomorrow I would be shamed as one who decries these symbols. 

Right now my family and I are investigating options for living in Mexico, Nicaragua and El Salvador. Never before had I imagined fleeing the country due to persecution.

At present the CMNT is perhaps the best thing about this damn country. I can genuinely say that I love the team and I am basking in this amazing qualifying run. But unity? Inclusion? Right now we couldn't be further away from either of those ideals. 

My hope beyond all hopes is that this country can find itself again. And if somehow the wild success of the CMNT is a catalyst which makes that dream a reality then you will find nobody in the country happier than I. All I ask of individuals - and the country as a whole - is kindness and acceptance. Live and let live. Allez les rouges.

3 hours ago, Varsity Tyler said:

I will likely be banned, suspended or at the very least ridiculed for this. I have zero faith in this country's ability to hear a narrative other than the accepted one. I concede that this is only half related to soccer, and I appeal as a longstanding member of this community to allow some latitude to put forward my perspective.

On unity:

Right now the national team is an escape from the sorry state in which our country finds itself. I can honestly say that following the CMNT is unexpectedly the happiest part of my life over the last year or so. The rest of the country is in severe decline and in my 36 years I cannot recall ever seeing it so divided.

I have long told myself that should Canada ever qualify again that I will be present in person for the World Cup. As it stands I am forbidden to travel abroad or on a plane within my own country. My spouse is fired from her career of 10 years. My friends protest and petition for my child to be segregated from theirs. My entire world has closed in around me. Of course this is all due to vaccine hesitation. Meanwhile, I anticipate punitive taxation, to be jailed, and to be denied healthcare should the need (for any reason) arise.

I put my travel budget to see these world cup qualifiers into the Vees flag and tifo funds because I am banned from the stadiums. My own government tells me that I am unemployable by them, but yet since I am self-employed they drop their vehicles off to me to be repaired at my private shop. Locally, the Yukon's Public Service Minister shakes my hand after working alongside me during last summer's floods; I had volunteered for the day with my own heavy equipment to fill and haul sandbags. Yet he is the one who fires my wife, and he fails to respond to calls or emails when prompted.  The hypocrisy boggles the mind and I am persona non grata within my own community (unless my services are needed).

The PM calls me racist, misogynist, fringe and unacceptable. Meanwhile, I have stood shoulder to shoulder with a number of you on the terraces, sharing in song, drink, revelry and despair. I never once cared or treated you differently on account of your skin colour, gender, political leanings or health status. I have lived previously in Ottawa and have mourned at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier on Nov 11, and doffed my cap to the statue of Terry Fox not long after my own father died of cancer at the age of 45. Yet if I were to travel to Ottawa tomorrow I would be shamed as one who decries these symbols. 

Right now my family and I are investigating options for living in Mexico, Nicaragua and El Salvador. Never before had I imagined fleeing the country due to persecution.

At present the CMNT is perhaps the best thing about this damn country. I can genuinely say that I love the team and I am basking in this amazing qualifying run. But unity? Inclusion? Right now we couldn't be further away from either of those ideals. 

My hope beyond all hopes is that this country can find itself again. And if somehow the wild success of the CMNT is a catalyst which makes that dream a reality then you will find nobody in the country happier than I. All I ask of individuals - and the country as a whole - is kindness and acceptance. Live and let live. Allez les rouges.

Arriverderchi pal 

With all the crap  going on, the play  of both of our National teams Mens, and Womens, has been a welcome  joy, I still remember watching us Qualify for Mexico in 1985 knocking off Honduras .  the best part for me has been seeing the  amount of happiness it has brought to a lot of people whether it be on this Forum or just in the outside world 

Just to try and keep this thread on topic, I have read a few posts lately here and elsewhere that I really don't like.  They seem to come from people who are new "converts" and they use pejoratives to describe our past teams.  The latest one I saw was calling them trash. 

It is really unfair to describe our guys that way as it wasn't their fault that they lacked the coaching infrastructure and support they now have.  I think relative to other countries then we were competitive, it was those competitive edges and extra support that Herdman has brought to the table have put us over the top. 

That was one of the things I was talking about during the contentious Herdman hiring debate.  I said he would hopefully bring those things to the table and he has.  Like Borjan said when asked what was the change in the team "Two words, John Herdman"

1 minute ago, Varsity Tyler said:

You guys don't have to rebut anything. I am sorry that my differing opinion begging for openness and kindness is so very troubling. I will see myself out.

If somebody in charge will PM me a mailing address then I will send the shirt back. If only it were so easy to deal with this darn tattoo.

Hang in there, the tide is turning

11 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Mods: if you're going to allow the apologists for the fuckwits congregating in Ottawa over the past few days have their say, please open it up for anyone to post a rebuttal.

Just call them nazis.

Thats what they are basically.

I love how that pisses them off too. But what do you expect when you have zero self awareness 

2 minutes ago, Varsity Tyler said:

You guys don't have to rebut anything. I am sorry that my differing opinion begging for openness and kindness is so very troubling. I will see myself out.

If somebody in charge will PM me a mailing address then I will send the shirt back. If only it were so easy to deal with this darn tattoo.

You have nothing to be sorry about. Respect Tyler.