WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

27 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I thought the Panama game was our best effort.  After they went up early, it was wave after wave from Canada.  We had them pinned in their 1/3 for long stretches.  Little push back from Panama early in the second half, but after the Davies goal, it was cruise control. I get what you’re saying about the Azteca game but I thought this was our most superior effort 

Interesting. In the stadium I felt that it was pretty evenly matched for the most part. I'd even give the advantage to Panama. It was pretty subdued and nerve-wracking. It felt like we were on the verge of conceding in the second half because it was wave after wave of Panamanian pressure for a solid 15-20 until Davies came out of nowhere to score the go-ahead goal. After that Panama had to open up more and it just created counterattacking opportunities for us. 

For me, the Mexico match at the Azteca has been our best performance thus far. We deserved all 3 points from that one and only Ochoa saved their asses. 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t remember Ochoa making any impressive saves that match.

Are they incredible saves? Maybe not I agree. I seem to remember him playing outstanding but maybe I had a few drinks lol. But we did have a few chances that he saved that could have easily been goals. A couple more that we didn't hit the net on but should have. 

30 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Curious to see what kind of squad rotation happens for this one.  Does Vitoria go three starts in a row?  

Vitoria is suspended for this game. I would like to see Ike Ugbo and Miller get the start. But with Herdman who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Vitoria is suspended for this game. I would like to see Ike Ugbo and Miller get the start. But with Herdman who knows. 

Figure we will see Hutch, he will be fresh after sitting out Sunday. Getting closer to being the first Canadian with 100 international caps. 

I think it's gonna be a tight game tomorrow but I'm confident we'll get the win either way. I'm gonna predict a hat trick of 2-0s lol.

Atiba and Eustaquio should start together in the midfield, hopefully Eustaquio feels ok and can empty the tank since he's only playing one game. On defence I'm fine with Vitoria being out for this one, maybe Kennedy anchors the back line?

I'd like to see slight rotation, Millar should be given a start and I'd like to see Ugbo start this one as well, it would also mean we could bring on guys like David/Larin/Buchanan (if any don't start) off the bench if we still need a goal in the 2nd half. I'm not against Gutierrez playing too but Adekugbe might be the one player you can't replace after last game.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:59 AM, canuckgbp said:

What about bags with questionable liquids in them? Lol

Those are probably encouraged.  

I can't imagine

a.  Being the first guy who thought to himself, "Hey, I think I'll just have a wiz into this bag and hold it until I can get a clean shot at someone on the pitch."

b.  Being the next guy who thought that sounded like a laugh.

On 1/30/2022 at 9:33 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

It's a good thing for the US that they are up in the standings.  Can you imagine their morale after losing this game and then having to play one of the poorest teams, that is practically out of it, in St Paul, where the temp might be worse than Edmonton.  That's gotta be depressing.  Sometimes you outsmart yourself.

There's a part of me that almost wants to see this unnecessary disaster more than our own game.  I might watch both at the same time.  Just checked, the US game is on FS1 at 7:30 EST and our game is on at 9:00 EST woohoo.  The forecast will be around -17C (feels like -26C) and the overnight will get much colder.  Imagine playing a gimme game (the Honduras coach is on record saying they're toast) under those conditions.  My only hope is if Honduras comes out with some pride and tries to make a game of it.  I don't want our GD to be affected.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

There's a part of me that almost wants to see this unnecessary disaster more than our own game.  I might watch both at the same time.  Just checked, the US game is on FS1 at 7:30 EST and our game is on at 9:00 EST woohoo.  The forecast will be around -17C (feels like -26C) and the overnight will get much colder.  Imagine playing a gimme game (the Honduras coach is on record saying they're toast) under those conditions.  My only hope is if Honduras comes out with some pride and tries to make a game of it.  I don't want our GD to be affected.

I'm hoping it's an absolute farce of a match with players slipping and sliding everywhere, and Honduras somehow manages to score a freak goal and win 1-0.

6 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Great video. There's a section when Jaime Macias says he was talking to South Americans on a talk show and he was asked about Canada and he replied something something Canada in South America. The feed broke up and I couldn't make out what he said but it was something complimentary to Canada because the South Americans were upset with his answer.

Also he was asked how far Canada could go in the WC. His reply: it's for conceivable they can go as far the quarters.

There was a section where Platt said a friend of his spoke to a MLS coach who after a few games in this qualification said that Canada was going to finish on top of the division.

The football world is taking notice of this excellent team.

At 23:45, they start talking about Herdman saying, "I'm sure Marcelo Fores was watching this game."  Does anyone know what interview/press conference that's from?   I haven't seen it.

18 hours ago, Cblake said:

Heading into this match, a trio of selections to the team of the week plus someone very familiar to TFC fans, someone hopefully Canada burns on Wednesday.

No Milan!? 

El Salvador 3 points so far

Canada 6 points so far. 

No way we get 6 without Milan. Hope Milan gets another blank and wins the window best 11. 

2 hours ago, vancanman said:

At 23:45, they start talking about Herdman saying, "I'm sure Marcelo Fores was watching this game."  Does anyone know what interview/press conference that's from?   I haven't seen it.

I think it was post game press con for the USA. Then again maybe the post game presser for the Honduras game. It's all one soup in my memory. I'm not sure which game but I know it was one of the two games in this window.