WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

36 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Yes, edited to fix. I don't see USA losing to Honduras though. I still am not convinced that match is going to go ahead as scheduled. Weather for tomorrow in St. Paul is forecast to be significantly worse than Edmonton was.

I don't think they will lose either. But man playing in that weather will be BRUTAL! 

I would not be surprised if they win or lose. Plus everyone wants to beat the USA. They are not loved down south. 

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is a training centre near Hamilton, was trying to figure out which one. The sponsor banner on the left is for an Oakville stucco company. 

That looks like those who did not get minutes vs. the US and were doing a more complete training session with Herdman, those who played would have done a recovery session. I assume it was shot on Monday. 

They trained here in Oakville. 

https://www.oakville.ca/culturerec/pine-glen.html

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Stupid question I'm not too familiar with Hamilton but is there an airport that serves CA in Hamilton or are they going up to TO when they fly out?

They're flying out of YHM, Hamilton. Munro International. This is where they flew into from Honduras. They're chartering. There are scheduled flights to the Caribbean and Mexico, but not central America from Hamilton.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Munro_Hamilton_International_Airport

Edited by king1010

6 hours ago, Cblake said:

It’s plausible but will take a lot to happen for Canada to punch their ticket to Qatar on Wednesday night. If Canada wins and gets three other results to go their way, they will qualify for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1986. Canada will clinch a spot in the World Cup on Wednesday if all of the following happens, keep your fingers crossed. 

• Canada wins in El Salvador
  • Panama loses in Mexico
  • USA loses at home to Honduras
  • Costa Rica does not win (loss or draw) in Jamaica

If all of that happens, Canada would have seven wins, no losses, and four draws, for a total of 25 points. That would put them out of reach of Costa Rica, and one of USA or Panama, as those two countries play each other on March 27.

I just put $5 on that set of results.  If they happen, I'll win $291.  Thank you in advance!

10 minutes ago, Metro said:

^^ The worse that weather gets, the more likely the unlikely becomes.

Good luck scoring goals in -10F Zardes and Pepi.

I get what you’re saying, but an eliminated Honduran side with no motivation, in a temperature few have been in, I can’t see this being close.  In the Iceteca game, Mexico was playing for something at least 

15 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Stupid question I'm not too familiar with Hamilton but is there an airport that serves CA in Hamilton or are they going up to TO when they fly out?

7 minutes ago, king1010 said:

They're flying out of YHM, Hamilton. Munro International. This is where they flew into from Honduras. They're chartering. There are scheduled flights to the Caribbean and Mexico, but not central America from Hamilton.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Munro_Hamilton_International_Airport

They're flying charter, so as long as the terminal and runways are up to speed they can take off from there to go anywhere in the world.

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Well, that worked out nicely. Herdman and co. are so smart to be tight lipped about every detail.

Not that there were big consequences but I think that he is constantly learning and improving.  There were a couple of instances in the past where he might have let a bit of into slip when silence was probably the better option (one example was when he admitted that Staq's second yellow was intentional a while back).  It seems like that sort of thing gets corrected with Herdman.  One thing I really appreciate about him is the fact that he seems to be constantly learning.  At first it seemed a little off-putting insofar as it suggested me might not have the skillset we wanted right out of the gate, but it doesn't seem like he makes the same mistake twice.  And given where the rest of his management skillset is at now (as evidenced by our results) it is great that he is still learning and improving.  Bodes well for the future.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not that there were big consequences but I think that he is constantly learning and improving.  There were a couple of instances in the past where he might have let a bit of into slip when silence was probably the better option (one example was when he admitted that Staq's second yellow was intentional a while back).  It seems like that sort of thing gets corrected with Herdman.  One thing I really appreciate about him is the fact that he seems to be constantly learning.  At first it seemed a little off-putting insofar as it suggested me might not have the skillset we wanted right out of the gate, but it doesn't seem like he makes the same mistake twice.  And given where the rest of his management skillset is at now (as evidenced by our results) it is great that he is still learning and improving.  Bodes well for the future.

Any time I think of my previous criticism of Herdman and his appointment:

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Yes, edited to fix. I don't see USA losing to Honduras though. I still am not convinced that match is going to go ahead as scheduled. Weather for tomorrow in St. Paul is forecast to be significantly worse than Edmonton was.

Game is def going ahead.  The pitch is warmed by 27.5 miles of heating tubes and it is estimated that the pitch will be approximately 50-60 degrees fahrenheit. 

https://scgfields.com/news/minnesota-united-allianz-field/

Me thinks the likes of Dest, Pulisic, Elis, Lozano, etc. will find excuses to lie down tomorrow, especially to get out of the wind. 

Should also mean the ball isn't a rock. 

1 minute ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Maybe we see a good amount of rotation, fringe guys get some minutes and finally a David/Ugbo partnership up top finally? What do you guys think? 

52B41669-ACD2-4B00-BEAF-552A35368FF1.jpeg

I think you'll see Larin start up top over Ugbe.  The latter didn't impress on Sunday and the former had a relatively free ride.  I don't think the USMNT tackled Larin once.

I also think you'll see Buchanan and Laryea on the flanks. 

Idea is to get a lead at half, make 4 subs and park the bus. 

Pretty sure Milan will feign some injuries tonight.  Love it!

12 minutes ago, B-Lo said:

I think you'll see Larin start up top over Ugbe.  The latter didn't impress on Sunday and the former had a relatively free ride.  I don't think the USMNT tackled Larin once.

How much of an impression do you expect in 6 minutes + injury time? I thought he did what Herdman asked and that was to put some forward pressure on and help clear out defensive set pieces!

16 minutes ago, B-Lo said:

Ugbo did fine, he was directly responsible for the quick tackle which ended up taking out the American defender and left them with 10 men. He made a good run with Adekubge at the end and drew the defender away slightly and was ready if the ball was put to him

28 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Maybe we see a good amount of rotation, fringe guys get some minutes and finally a David/Ugbo partnership up top? What do you guys think? 

52B41669-ACD2-4B00-BEAF-552A35368FF1.jpeg

Pretty solid.  A big factor is this:

On yellows: Adekugbe, Buchanan, Cavallini, Brym, Eustáquio, Fraser, Henry, Kaye, Laryea, Piette

Interesting strategy Herdman has to conger up here