WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Covid.  He, Cavallini and Fraser (along with some of the staff) didn't travel due to covid concerns.

(I think you meant Christian, not Diego)

And we had Jamaica playing players who apparently tested positive for Covid. What a difference in approaching this. Some are responsible , some are not. 

1 minute ago, Kingston said:

Especially how, after everything else, the keeper took a swipe at it on the goal line with each hand and still missed both times.

And with out it hitting Zavaleta it just goes off the post and rolls out into the balls. Lots of weird things has to happen for the goal to happen and for Canada's benefit it did. Even after hitting Eriq it did have to take that weird bounce off Hutch too, A little mind boggling if you ask me. 

Just now, Sal333 said:

What was the ruling on that play? Once the ball went off the post and rebounded to Zavaletta wasn't Atiba in an offside position?

a) You can't be offside off your own rebound if you were onside when you struck it. 

b) If a defender plays it back (intentionally) and you're in an offside position it's not offside.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

a) You can't be offside off your own rebound if you were onside when you struck it. 

b) If a defender plays it back (intentionally) and you're in an offside position it's not offside.

Does A apply even if your shot goes off the post? 

40 minutes ago, Cblake said:

And with out it hitting Zavaleta it just goes off the post and rolls out into the balls. Lots of weird things has to happen for the goal to happen and for Canada's benefit it did. Even after hitting Eriq it did have to take that weird bounce off Hutch too, A little mind boggling if you ask me. 

The entire play went off just like Herdman drew it up in practice.

47 minutes ago, Cblake said:

To add to the hilarity, if the keeper doesn't look the wrong way for the deflection off the post, he easily saves it, but instead he looks to his right instead of looking to his left. And then proceeds to try to take a goal kick after the ball goes in.

I think it might top the Duverger goal and the 9 players in the box Davies goal off the double-miss Kaye PK against the Cayman Islands as most hilarious Canadian goal of this World Cup Qualifying campaign. The fact that there is so much competition is hilarious enough in itself

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Man lots of online anger that Tajon wasnt called for a penalty. Even Hugo Perez commented on it during his post-match press conference. Looking at the replay, it could have easily been called imo

Easily could have. But I think the score line fairly represented the chances created so whatever

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

And we had Jamaica playing players who apparently tested positive for Covid. What a difference in approaching this. Some are responsible , some are not. 

Did they do that? Lol

It's not like they packed a stadium when they were supposed to sell only half 

The wins are coming left and right this week 

On the Atiba goal, I still can't figure out why the keeper looks to his right after the initial contact by Atiba.  If he'd been able to follow the ball going near post, that looper rebound would likely have been an easy catch.  

I recognize that this is very easy for me to say as I watch slow-motion replays while sitting on my non-professional-keeper ass.  

Edited by sstackho

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Just noticed (after watching Atiba's goal for about the 50th time already) that after the goal the ES keeper places the ball at his 6 yard box in order to take a goal kick, making the goal even funnier.

We also see Zavaleta immediately look to the linesman and briefly applaud - and I didn't think it was sarcastic.  

I was wondering if perhaps the linesman raised his flag and was overruled by the ref?  Very unclear situation.  

Just now, sstackho said:

We also see Zavaleta immediately look to the linesman and briefly applaud - and I didn't think it was sarcastic.  

I was wondering if perhaps the linesman raised his flag and was overruled by the ref?  Very unclear situation.  

Maybe the Ref had the VAR team in his ear?

1) I want to commend Canada Soccer for significantly increasing the quality and quantity of media content over the past year.  Seeing videos like this bring so much joy and help resonate with fans.  I've found myself re-watching Canada Soccer content over and over during this run.

2) As mentioned in my earlier post, the camaraderie of this program is so strong now.  Herdman has clearly created a brotherhood amongst this team.

3) Aside from Eustaquio hilariously willing that goal in and pushing Leutwiler aside to get on the pitch.  It is great watching a player like Leutwiler who is not a regular callup, coming in and out of camps and hardly ever playing during his 7 years with Canada (3 caps).  Watching him shout "Come on Jono, come on Jono" brings me great joy.  We've got a lot of good young depth coming in at keeper and I suspect we will have some strong Canadian keepers emerge this coming season.  I am a firm believer that you bring the best possible squad to Qatar but a part of me would love to see Leutwiler brought in as 3rd keeper to Qatar as it would more than likely be his last appearances with Canada (assuming our young goalkeepers continue to get quality minutes in MLS and abroad).