WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

33 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't know why people are inventing complicated explanations for why Atiba was onside. This is no different than any other situation where a player pots their own rebound. Whether the defensive player gets a touch is irrelevant.

That's hard to call it Atiba getting his own rebound?  If it doesn't hit off Zavaleta, the ball goes past both Zavaleta & Hutchinson and back into the play.  Hutchinson was dead on the play, he didn't even have a play on the rebound. 

It only goes in off Atiba and into the net because Zavaleta clears/touches that back towards Atiba near the goal line.  If that rebound comes off the post and Eustaquio hits it off Atiba instead of Zavaleta, then Atiba is 100% offside.

I guess it's all in perspective of how you are viewing it.  Doesn't matter, we can all agree it was not offside.

Edited by Corazon

5 hours ago, Team Canada said:

Canada could tie (I won’t suggest the “other” less successful option - LOL) in CR who will be playing full out fighting for fourth; and if Panama beats Honduras which seems likely (game is in Panama), it would set up a situation where “technically” Canada will not have clinched third yet (26points to 20 points with two games left), and the game on the 27th against Jamaica (at home), would be the one to officially push Canada over the line.....it’s not out of the realm....(yes goal differential is way in our favour but “officially” we would not clinch third yet)....or Canada wins 2-0 in CR and that’s that....LOL....

I posted about this in the Window 4 thread, but even if CAN ties CRC and PAN beats HON, Canada can still clinch on March 24 with a MEX win/draw vs. USA. This is because the USA and PAN play each other on March 27.

Edited by Allez les Rouges
Fixed typo where HON/PAN were flipped, and removed CAN loss scenario (was not analyzed correctly).

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Eustaquio is saying "BO-NUS". They must have a classification bonus, funny. Stephen is so keen, you'd think a salary at Porto would be the real one.

Could be but could be a satire too because of the whole scandal about the E.S federation and the winter clothing then the money  etc. 

For me he was mocking the Salvadorians.  

For instance we won in Chile, the players couldn't shower after match because..... The said there was no water in the hotel.  Welcome.  

7 minutes ago, Corazon said:

That's hard to call it Atiba getting his own rebound?  If it doesn't hit off Zavaleta, the ball goes past both Zavaleta & Hutchinson and back into the play.  Hutchinson was dead on the play, he didn't even have a play on the rebound. 

It only goes in off Atiba and into the net because Zavaleta clears/touches that back towards Atiba near the goal line.  If that rebound comes off the post and Eustaquio hits it off Atiba instead of Zavaleta, then Atiba is 100% offside.

I guess it's all in perspective of how you are viewing it.  Doesn't matter, we can all agree it was not offside.

That goal was divine justice for all the miserable situation that came in the afternoon about the cancellation and the letter etc.   

11 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I don't know what any of that means. Fact is that Atiba was onside when Larin played the ball across. Nothing else is a consideration.

1 hour ago, red card said:

Hutch goal via CBS/Concacaf feed & US Spanish feed. Other than crediting David first, Wheeler was probably the least confused.

https://streamable.com/s7ve74

https://mixture.gg/v/61fb4b65a666a

Just noticed (after watching Atiba's goal for about the 50th time already) that after the goal the ES keeper places the ball at his 6 yard box in order to take a goal kick, making the goal even funnier.

3 minutes ago, Allez les Rouges said:

I posted about this in the Window 4 thread, but even if CAN doesn't win at CRC and HON beats PAN, Canada can still clinch on March 24 with a MEX win over the USA (MEX/USA draw also works if CAN draws CRC). This is because the USA and PAN play each other on March 27.

As I wrote --this was assuming that Panama beats Honduras at home and gets to 20 points, seeing as they have everything to play for and their opponent is eliminated. Yes, if Canada ties CR and gets to 26 points, then the USA would also need to get a result against Mexico for this scenario to play out where Canada has not technically clinched top 3 until the Jamaica game at home (or if Canada lost to CR it would open up a few wacky ties at 25 points still being technically possible after March 24th depending on results that day in Panama and Mexico).....going down the rabbit hole of every permutation to get Canada to clinching the top 3 spot at home as opposed to on the 24th, can hurt your head after a while.....LOL......

Again  -- I am old enough to remember 1986 (and before that) so any scenario where we get in is a great one, and is obviously what matters --- but to see it done on the field in Canada, rather than in CR (which would be a great accomplishment) or because some other team got a tie (for example) after our game ends an hour earlier (like tonight with Mexico ending an hour after our game) and we get in that way, is not quite the same "moment", as a stadium full of Canadian fans watching their team clinch on the pitch at home -- I know in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter - but to say it wouldn't be awesome to see Canada beat Jamaica at home and that celebration that would ensue if that is what "officially" pushes us over the line after 36 years (ie. this eras St. John's moment) - is a moment you will not likely get to experience again.

4 hours ago, Team Canada said:

As I wrote --this was assuming that Panama beats Honduras at home and gets to 20 points, seeing as they have everything to play for and their opponent is eliminated. Yes, if Canada ties CR and gets to 26 points, then the USA would also need to get a result against Mexico for this scenario to play out where Canada has not technically clinched top 3 until the Jamaica game at home (or if Canada lost to CR it would open up a few wacky ties at 25 points still being technically possible after March 24th depending on results that day in Panama and Mexico).....going down the rabbit hole of every permutation to get Canada to clinching the top 3 spot at home as opposed to on the 24th, can hurt your head after a while.....LOL......

Again  -- I am old enough to remember 1986 (and before that) so any scenario where we get in is a great one, and is obviously what matters --- but to see it done on the field in Canada, rather than in CR (which would be a great accomplishment) or because some other team got a tie (for example) after our game ends an hour earlier (like tonight with Mexico ending an hour after our game) and we get in that way, is not quite the same "moment", as a stadium full of Canadian fans watching their team clinch on the pitch at home -- I know in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter - but to say it wouldn't be awesome to see Canada beat Jamaica at home and that celebration that would ensue if that is what "officially" pushes us over the line after 36 years (ie. this eras St. John's moment) - is a moment you will not likely get to experience again.

Sorry for the confusion - there was a typo in my post: I flipped HON and PAN. But yes, you got my point: even if PAN wins vs. HON and CAN loses draws at CRC, CAN still qualifies on March 24 if MEX wins vs. USA.

I guess I'm just more practical than romantic. Clinching at home might be nice, but I'd much rather Canada maximize its chances of ending up in Pot 3, and that means winning in CRC.

Edited by Allez les Rouges
Changed "loses" to "draws" - CAN does not clinch if it loses and PAN wins.

I mean we are practically on the cusp of qualifying for Qatar. It would have been awesome had we qualified last night by clinching our spot if Honduras and Jamaica did their damn jobs and beat the USA and Costa Rica. But no use in crying over spilled milk.

I mean we have 3 more games left 🤷 to go so 🤷 

We have Costa Rica (A), Jamaica (H) and Panama (A)

But I swear can't Canada clinch a spot in Qatar in our next match should we beat Costa Rica? That would give us 28 points which should be enough to qualify I mean shouldn't it?

8 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

The guy was eating alive by the atmosphere.  Central America is difficult for some people to play.  Ask the bags of urine and the targets.  In which world are you living?   

It is part of snowflake generation well some people tell it like it is, as my friend Trevor Noah says " the context is everything". School boys like Millar are eating alive in some places, he didn't play vs a club in Switzerland.  They were thousands of policemen to protect you.  Didn't you see the final act?  Attendance was attacking the away bench!!!

This is an interpretation, Javier, that many have made, but never based on race. Because no one in Canada was handling Central America well until a few years ago, not even the guys who were Spanish-speaking. 

We could argue that Millar lacked a certain degree of intensity in that first half, to really attack and get out of his role. But that was the case with the entire squad, not even our free kicks could help at all, they were all lacking danger. It also seems he was playing his role as instructed, a bit limited, and maybe he does need to get a bit anarchic and go wild; but it is not his style, he's a very disciplined, orderly player. 

Our results vs. Honduras and El Salvador were not based on overcoming local conditions. Both stadiums were half full (although this small crowd, must say, did an excellent job pushing their team in tough circumstances); fields were not bad, especially last night. Neither rival was particularly dirty, they were both a bit defeated from the start, trying to do their best. But most importantly: we broke them down systematically, with patience, in orderly fashion--playing more or less how Liam was playing. The goals only came on counters, when defenders were tiring, and not from the positional possession play we saw in the first half. 

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I’m probably late to this but I don’t really read threads during the game.

do we know why Diego Gutierrez didn’t seem to be at the game? He seems missing from all of the pictures and was assumedly replaced by ZBG

Covid.  He, Cavallini and Fraser (along with some of the staff) didn't travel due to covid concerns.

(I think you meant Christian, not Diego)