WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

8 minutes ago, theaub said:

Still remembering when this exact same shit happened in 2015 and Benito Floro was like 'hey let's park the bus for 90 minutes'

Because I'm a masochist apparently, I watched the Canada at El Salvador highlights from 2015. Floro basically celebrates with the ESV coaches at 0-0 FT. Just horrible.

7 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

Because I'm a masochist apparently, I watched the Canada at El Salvador highlights from 2015. Floro basically celebrates with the ESV coaches at 0-0 FT. Just horrible.

If we all work together, as a team, we can go on youtube and flag every video from the Floro era until they get taken down. Lets do it for Canada. Yallop era too. What do you say boys? Brothers, on three...

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

For the Spanish readers, is the letter a threat to not play or a declaration they aren’t playing.  Ie - is there a chance or not.

Hi is not official , but they are demanding some wages, if they don't show its gonna be a gruesome SCANDAL at this level.  

Canada will be awarded a 3-0 victory

points deducted and the Salvador football federation is gonna have to pay some money to FIFA

41 minutes ago, Califax said:

The worst take in the history of Canadian soccer is "I hope they play"

No.

3 points. No injuries. Come the fuck home. 

I want to see this Canadian team earn every single point on their way to qualification, especially with a likely auto spot in 2026.

We don’t need to agree, YMMV.

The National team of El Salvador will play, they are trying yo go public, that's my interpretation.  

Could be a disrupted way of wind up merchants too.  

Wouldn't read too much, they had an animosity with Honduras I believe for a war they had.   

If they don't play its even better for Canada.  

Venezuela and Paraguay and Bolivia are out, they wouldn't do that for the sportsmanship.  They are already professional players they don't depend on the FiFA Money which it is arrange internally.

Most of internationally money is being given away to charity by players worldwide

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I agree with Califax here. If there is a chance you get all 3 points without having to play away in San Salvador, that is a good thing. This qualification has been a grind.

But moot now, seems the game is on! (which is also good)

I don’t really have a problem with this mindset. Taking a guaranteed 3 points is great. I suppose the “worst take in Canada soccer history” comment is what really grinds my gears.

Well the scandal arrived to our newspapers, they game is being broadcasted live on TV in our National channel of sports at 11 pm Argentina and San Pablo time.  

I read that the players complained because they had to buy from.their own pockets winter sport clothing  for the game in USA. 

The Federation got angry because that situation leaked in the press.  And they made look the Football Federation of El Salvador as stingy, or as Victor Hugo would say " Les Misérables ".  

Because of this about the winter gear, The president of the Federation refused to pay the extra money and bonuses because they made look The Federation as miserables ...

I've just gone through these last few threads, to avoid repeating, but I think this is the more accurate read. 

The players are not talking about the question of clothing in the States, they accuse the Federation of using that as a distraction.

What they are concerned about is an apparent declaration from their federation president, in the same press conference as where he complained about their supposed insult to the federation for not providing players with proper clothing. The statement was to the effect that they would not be paying the bonuses agreed upon before the Octagonal. The problem with this is that El Salvador is technically still in the mix, they are not mathematically eliminated. So the real jist is that their Federation president was discounting them and basically saying there is nothing to play for, when mathematically there still is. 

It seems he actually said this: since they are most likely out, even though mathematically they are not, we save the bonuses promised for classification. 

The players were thus protesting this declaration: saying we are out when we are not. And using the bonus question as a way of getting back at the squad for their complaints in Columbus a few days ago. They also said the statement set a bad precedent for all Salvadoreño national teams in any sport seeking to represent their country with dignity at all times. 

Considering they were close vs. the States and are coming off an away win at Honduras, this was especially provocative. ES are at 9 points. Four wins would give them 21 and a quite feasible 4th spot. 

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but the temp for the US's game being played in Minnesota tonight is expected to be -16c and -30c with the wind chill.  I'm sure soft-ass Pulicic and the rest of his teammates will be as miserable as the Hondurans tonight!

I think they may have overthought this one.   :)