WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

Just now, jonovision said:

El Salvador have kept 5 clean sheets in 10 matches. They've also failed to score 5 times. It's pretty obvious what they will try to do.

Yeah, even though they need a win I don't expect them to play desperate. 

Speaking of goals.. whatever happened to David Rugamas? He scored 8 goals in 6 matches in the first two rounds and then hasn't been called up to El Salvador in the Octo. Very strange.

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I don’t think you can underestimate this El Salvadoran side.  They have played better since we won 3-0 and I would rather be them than Honduras or even Costa Rica in a few years.

Also El Salvador has been together for a long time in this window. They trained in Indianapolis for two weeks in Indianapolis ahead of their match vs. the US last week in Columbus. Guess that is a benefit of having pretty much a domestic league based roster with a handful of players from elsewhere sprinkled in. If anything they are familiar with each other. 

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fair point.  Tajon has also played a lot of minutes and I could see him being used as a sub rather than a starter.  

One thing I am curious about is if we will try to set up for fast break attacks tonight.  With Richie, Tajon, Liam and Sam as possibilities on the outside we have tons of speed even without Phonzie.  Not sure who is fastest among our striker pool (none of them see particularly pacey) but it would be interesting to see how they all match up with the ES back line.  I could see us using that sort of tactic being used in what could be a tricky away fixture.  I know we all want 9 points from this window but one of the main objectives has to be a strong defensive performance that would ensure at least a point.  

I would love to have Tajon starting if he is fully recovered, but he has played a lot over the past two matches. 90 in Honduras plus travel seemed to take something out of him for the US game. He was excellent at tracking back and supporting our fullback/mids to keep Dest and co mostly quiet on his side, but he seemed to be missing something going forward.  

If he is fully refreshed, amazing. Otherwise using him as a sub is probably the better option. 

Edited by maccaliam

Well considering all those that are on yellow cards - Sam Adekugbe, Tajon Buchanan, Lucas Cavallini, Stephen Eustaquio, Liam Fraser, Doneil Henry, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Richie Laryea and Sam Piette. I just do not see how you can really let that come into play how you approach this game. To me its more important to rotate things based on workload, keeping fresh bodies out there. While you do not want to take El Salvador lightly, you can beat this team, Canada is the better team. 

I know they're all pros and stuff and in top shape regardless of being in season or not, but these have been really emotional and physical games.  Throw in the hot - cold environments, not sure we play Johnston, Laryea, Adekugbe, Tajon, etc.....  I'd love to keep the undefeated billing and distance between us and the rest with three more points, but I just don't see it.  I'm in favor of a heavy rotation.  Liam and Cornelius are in season, so is Ugbo, ZBG and Eustaquio are fresh. Mix it up, spread out the joy and experience. 

It might just be because I'm a natural worrier, but to me this game has all the hallmarks of a trap game. We come off a huge high with a intense home win against our closest rivals, traveling to central america to face a team that is on paper much worse than us and is playing for their qualifying lives. I can see if we don't get an early goal, frustration could set in and bad things would happen. 

Hopefully Herdman has the boys blocking out all the noise and not go to places they haven't been yet (classic Nick Nurse saying during the 19 Raptors run). 

Just now, frattinator said:

It might just be because I'm a natural worrier, but to me this game has all the hallmarks of a trap game. We come off a huge high with a intense home win against our closest rivals, traveling to central america to face a team that is on paper much worse than us and is playing for their qualifying lives. I can see if we don't get an early goal, frustration could set in and bad things would happen. 

Hopefully Herdman has the boys blocking out all the noise and not go to places they haven't been yet (classic Nick Nurse saying during the 19 Raptors run). 

If Canada were the Leafs in an 82 game season I'd say this is a trap game. But Canada gets together for a couple weeks for three games at a time and has been zeroed in every time. Mentally I don't see this being a problem for us. If anything I think we step on the gas and become ruthless because we're so close to the finish line.

27 minutes ago, frattinator said:

I am pessimistic before every game.  It may no longer be justified but it is so ingrained that it is a hard habit to break.  It is also a bit of a defence mechanism.  Plus I don’t want to jinx it with some newfound optimism.  

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Strange that he shows up at every Canada game.  He played his Freshman year at Albany in the spring of 2021 (the delayed 2020 fall season) he was not on the roster for the 2021 fall season, is not playing club soccer anywhere, maybe he is an intern with the CSA.

A lot of questions around it for sure. I certainly don't have the answer, but I am thinking:

1. The arrangement benefits him and Canada, otherwise it wouldn't be happening (duh)

2. The benefit for Canada is that he knows how to train within the system

3. An exclusive training player doesn't mess with the team spirit (Herdman said he doesn't want to bring players who won't play) 

4. As far as training with the national team goes, playing in NCAA Div. 1 is a good enough level / This guy is a good enough player 

1 minute ago, Canadamnt said:

What do you guys think about starting with this lineup? It has a good mix of fresh players. 

newest.png

Larin and David should start.  It is "all meat over the grill" today.  

Ukbe and Millar aren't tried and trusted.  I don't like this team.  I like the formation but not the names

3 minutes ago, Canadamnt said:

What do you guys think about starting with this lineup? It has a good mix of fresh players. 

newest.png

I like where your head is at with rotating Millar and Ugbo in and taking out Larin and David. Some freshness may be a good thing at this stage.

To nit pick, I would change the following:

• Henry for Miller
  • Take out Fraser, put Hutch in his place, move Hoilett central, put Gutierrez at Left wing back

The rest is a good shout, even though I somehow have a feeling Larin is going to start.

I also think Henry will be in the middle, but if you want to give Johnston a rest I think Henry is the only viable option, otherwise you are playing a left footed CB on the right. I just don't see that happening. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Well considering all those that are on yellow cards - Sam Adekugbe, Tajon Buchanan, Lucas Cavallini, Stephen Eustaquio, Liam Fraser, Doneil Henry, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Richie Laryea and Sam Piette. I just do not see how you can really let that come into play how you approach this game. To me its more important to rotate things based on workload, keeping fresh bodies out there. While you do not want to take El Salvador lightly, you can beat this team, Canada is the better team. 

You can't think in yellows,  throw everything you got to them.   

Don't speculate, tonight is a game for the braves 

1 minute ago, canuckgbp said:

Wouldn't want Hoilett in a wingback position. 

I would be shocked if that were to happen. Starting Gutierrez is far more likely in my opinion. Most likely is Adekugbe starting once again and coming out early. Richie may also play on the left and ZBG may start on the right. He's not going to join the team now and not see the field, just a matter of whether he starts or not. 

Anyways, Hoilett won't be deployed as a wing back. 

16 minutes ago, Canadamnt said:

newest.png

It’s still a strong lineup but there are some things I don’t think work the best. Hoilett is a wingback is not ideal. Miller (left footed) at RCB is not ideal. I don’t like Henry there either though, so unless you play Johnston again, I think we have to play 4 at the back.

I’d go with a back line of Adekugbe or Gutierrez, Kennedy, Henry, Laryea.

Seems inevitable that Hutch and Eustaquio play in the middle.

So then you have to decide who our attacking players are. I’d like to see Millar. It’s hard to see Larin and David both out so I’d say 1 starts. Hoilett I could see starting another game. And then maybe Ugbo?

So I guess something like this:

Ugbo - Larin

Millar - Hutch - Eustaquio - Hoilett

Guti - Kennedy - Henry - Laryea

Borjan

Edited by archer21

How about playing the best possible lineup we can . Yes you have to consider that some players have played two full games but you still need the right balance . This thing ain’t over yet no matter how many times Wheeler and company tell you it is , still lots to play . This El Salvadorean team is no push over and this will probably be the most hostile crowd this team has faced yet. 

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

How about playing the best possible lineup we can . Yes you have to consider that some players have played two full games but you still need the right balance . This thing ain’t over yet no matter how many times Wheeler and company tell you it is , still lots to play . This El Salvadorean team is no push over and this will probably be the most hostile crowd this team has faced yet. 

I don’t think anyone is advocating less than our best lineup - I think the issue is whether that best lineup consists of the same guys we have seen in the first two games regardless of fatigue levels.  Is a 100% fresh Liam Millar worse than Adekugbe or Buchanan if the latter pair are feeling some fatigue or are a bit banged up (Tajon in particular seems to get a rough ride every game).  

This isn’t about playing a B+ team just because - it is about predicting who the best 11 will be given the formation and current condition of each individual.   That may or may not be our first choice starting 11 if everyone was feeling great.   

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anyone is advocating less than our best lineup - I think the issue is whether that best lineup consists of the same guys we have seen in the first two games regardless of fatigue levels.  Is a 100% fresh Liam Millar worse than Adekugbe or Buchanan if the latter pair are feeling some fatigue or are a bit banged up (Tajon in particular seems to get a rough ride every game).  

This isn’t about playing a B+ team just because - it is about predicting who the best 11 will be given the formation and current condition of each individual.   That may or may not be our first choice starting 11 if everyone was feeling great.   

On that note, I have a hard time seeing Millar not starting this one. Very likely that'll be for Tajon, but we'll see. 

I'd start Millar over Tajon for sure. I don't think their levels are all that different, and the fatigue factor + Tajon's performance against the USA make it a no brainer for me. Tajon does have more meaningful game experience for Canada, whatever that is worth. I would start Hoilett on the other side, then bring in Ugbo for the more fatigued striker. Atiba and Steph in the middle.

Back line, hopefully Adekugbe is good to go. If not, it's possible we even get Laryea there -- Johnston has been an iron man before. No shade on Gutierrez, but he's still uncapped. I am guessing Henry comes in for Vitoria, wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy draw back in.

Borjan; Adekugbe (Laryea), Kennedy, Henry, Laryea (Johnston); Millar, Atiba, Eustaquio, Hoilett; Ugbo, Larin (David)

08E84731-00D7-4223-BD67-11DCF1BDDC8A.thumb.png.64c33c486cd6cd79f468761541ed2033.png

2B95EC2A-D9E3-477B-8A4C-9C2ED62A1046.thumb.png.eed4cbb780ea676ac85a85d9bb854aed.png

I’ll admit, I’m not too familiar with El Salvador’s roster.  Including the goalie, looks like they have had 7 guys start both games.  Not sure if there has been a big turnover substitution wise in the games. I realize some of these guys are likely listed out of position here.  Not a tonne of turnover either 

Just bringing this up because in the first two windows, you could see our depth and speed really punished teams in the 3rd games with teams that were gassed by that point, granted they were home games.