WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

8 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

450 police from various agencies being deployed for the game.  The press is reporting that weapons, drugs, laser pointers, and gunpowder are prohibited.  That's good information to have. 

https://www.elgrafico.com/futbol/Asi-sera-el-plan-de-seguridad-para-el-juego-El-Salvador-contra-Canada-20220131-0011.html

they can bring their bitcoin to the game though....😏

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Listening to this now, Herdman says about 7 minutes in that Atiba was suspended for the US match. I don't recall him getting a yellow before the game in Honduras though

(Removed)

Edited by PastPros
Error

Obviously the distance travelled will make things difficult, but I wonder what effect the large temperature swings have on the players. To go from hot to cold to hot like this must sure be tough. 

For the game, I think that it will be tougher then we expect. El.Salvador is at death's door in the octo, and so we should expect them to throw everything that they can at us; they have no choice but to put in their best performance.  A win sees them possibly go into the last window only five points out, whereas a loss could eliminate them. 

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Obviously the distance travelled will make things difficult, but I wonder what effect the large temperature swings have on the players. To go from hot to cold to hot like this must sure be tough. 

For the game, I think that it will be tougher then we expect. El.Salvador is at death's door in the octo, and so we should expect them to throw everything that they can at us; they have no choice but to put in their best performance.  A win sees them possibly go into the last window only five points out, whereas a loss could eliminate them. 

yeah, it's last chance saloon for them.  a draw won't do them any good at this point, unlike the first window

10 minutes ago, RJB said:

This certainly has potential trap game built all over it for Canada after the emotional win over the States. I’m sure Herdman is all over it, getting them to block out the noise (“you’ve basically qualified”, “you guys have been so good”, “hookers in El Salvador are cheaper than in Honduras..”, the usual stuff).  Jokes aside, you hope the pedal to the metal is still there. I expect it to be, but sports being sports, you never know.

I don’t buy into the whole trap game narrative. That’s a media perception thing. This team is flying high and everyone believes they’re the best thing since sliced bread.

But the reality is, Canada hasn’t won in Central American in a WCQ in a very long time before Honduras last week. This game was always going to be a grind, as is every game down there. 

If they can’t get a result (which is very much in the realm of possibilities). It won’t be because they weren’t dialed in after a nice W vs the US

I watch them vs Honduras they are just well managed tactically, but Honduras hit the woodwork 3 times and they missed some sitters.  They got lucky, they are a tidy team

If you beat them 3-0 , there isn't a chance you won't get a result 

Also they have to go for it, so that will give you some space

Here Buchanan can use his speed.  

The most important thing is don't get cards, don't get hot head like Layrea or Buchanan. Stay cool

I would go with 3-4-3 to all out attack just for this match.  It is decisive go get them by the scruff of the neck.    Set pieces aerial power , Hutchinson assures top class pass from the back, 

Borjan

Hutchinson

Henry

Miller

Buchanan

Osorio 

Hoilett/Eustaquio

Adekugbe

David 

Larín

Cavallini/Ukbe 

It’s plausible but will take a lot to happen for Canada to punch their ticket to Qatar on Wednesday night. If Canada wins and gets three other results to go their way, they will qualify for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1986. Canada will clinch a spot in the World Cup on Wednesday if all of the following happens, keep your fingers crossed. 

• Canada wins in El Salvador
  • Panama loses in Mexico
  • USA loses at home to Honduras
  • Costa Rica does not win (loss or draw) in Jamaica

If all of that happens, Canada would have seven wins, no losses, and four draws, for a total of 25 points. That would put them out of reach of Costa Rica, and one of USA or Panama, as those two countries play each other on March 27.

Like the two matches before, I think Herman goes for a defensive line-up, as Canada doesn't have to control the ball. El Salvador needs that win, so let them have the ball and get them on the counterattack. Worked fine against the US, it's much harder to work the ball, especially if you lack quality and Canada's counter is lethal.  And of course an early goal would help. 

3 hours ago, Cblake said:

It’s plausible but will take a lot to happen for Canada to punch their ticket to Qatar on Wednesday night. If Canada wins and gets three other results to go their way, they will qualify for the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1986. Canada will clinch a spot in the World Cup on Wednesday if all of the following happens, keep your fingers crossed. 

• Canada wins in El Salvador
  • Panama loses in Mexico
  • USA loses at home to Honduras
  • Costa Rica does not win (loss or draw) in Jamaica

If all of that happens, Canada would have seven wins, no losses, and four draws, for a total of 25 points. That would put them out of reach of Costa Rica, and one of USA or Panama, as those two countries play each other on March 27.

Hoping Mexico beats Panama 

ZBG joining Canada in El Salvador. I wonder if this means:

- Adekugbe/Buchanan/Johnston are gassed;

- We have another positive test (i.e. Cavallini);

- Herdman wants him as a RCB (I believe he played there in France); or

- Herdman just wants to inject a fresh/hungry player into the squad after 2 big wins.

28 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

- Herdman just wants to inject a fresh/hungry player into the squad after 2 big wins.

I think he replaces Johnston

56 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I can’t see him being used as a RCB.  Seems like too much of a stretch given his position with CFM.  Even if he played there a while ago, I doubt he gets pumped in there in a game like this. 

It it seems most likely that it would be for the outside RB spot.  Most of our outside right guys have played lots of minutes - Johnston and Buchanan started both and Laryea started last game and came on in the first one.  Given that 2 of those 3 are out of season MLS guys they could be feeling it after the US effort.  

Whatever the reason, I hope he gets some time on the field.  I am a fan of his and (I have said this before)  in any other era we would be absolutely excited to have a young player like him in the system.  But we are so flush with talent that he can barely get a look.  Crazy.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I can’t see him being used as a RCB.  Seems like too much of a stretch given his position with CFM.  Even if he played there a while ago, I doubt he gets pumped in there in a game like this. 

It it seems most likely that it would be for the outside RB spot.  Most of our outside right guys have played lots of minutes - Johnston and Buchanan started both and Laryea started last game and came on in the first one.  Given that 2 of those 3 are out of season MLS guys they could be feeling it after the US effort.  

Whatever the reason, I hope he gets some time on the field.  I am a fan of his and (I have said this before)  in any other era we would be absolutely excited to have a young player like him in the system.  But we are so flush with talent that he can barely get a look.  Crazy.  

He never played RCB here in Montreal so I doubt that's an option.