WCQ: El Salvador vs Canada- Wed, Feb 2, 9pm EST / 6pm Pacific - San Salvador

World Cup Qualifiers - Matchday 11

El Salvador vs Canada
Wednesday, 2 February 2022
9pm EST / 6pm Pacific / 8pm local time
Estadio Cuscatlán, San Salvador
(capacity 53,400; tickets available, 22,000)
Online Broadcast: ONESoccer , FuboTV
TV Broadcast: Sportsnet Pacific/West/Ontario/East & Telus Optik TV Channel 980 (EN) , RDS2 (FR) [please correct if wrong]

Canada Squad:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-fifa-world-cup-qualifiers-squad-to-start-new-year/
Steven Vitoria is suspended. Hutchinson was supposedly suspended for the US match, Herdman dixit. Rumours say Lucas Cavallina had a positive Covid result. We do not know if Piette is ready after an injury vs. Honduras. Steven Eustaquio is available. Injured regular CMNT players include Alphonso Davies and David Wotherspoon.

On yellows: Adekugbe, Buchanan, Cavallini, Brym, Eustáquio, Fraser, Henry, Kaye, Laryea, Piette

El Salvador squad:

Striker Erick Rivera was suspended early January by FIFA for a positive doping. The test was done after the Canada-El Salvador in September, and he tested for Clostebol, which has anabolic steroid effects and is on the World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited list. If we had not gotten a result in that match, could we have had a claim on the basis of this positive?

Suspended for yellow card accumulation: Landaverde

Goal scorers (6 goals): Henríquez (2), Bonilla, Cerén, Roldán, Hernández

In the first window they were held scoreless. The last victory over Honduras was their biggest margin (0-2). They have scored very early and also very late.

The Referees: 

Armando Villarreal (United States). Villarreal was the referee for Canada-Panama in October; Anderson was also there.

AS1: Ian Anderson (United States)

AS2: Logan Brown (United States)

4th Official: Reon Radix (GRN)

VAR: Chris Penso (United States)

AS-VAR: Allen Chapman (United States)

The weather:  Over 30 C by day, could drop to lower-mid 20s by game time.

Prognostic: A win at El Salvador does not mathematically qualify us for Qatar, regardless of other results.

El Salvador at 9 points, 8 back of Panama. A win with a Panama loss could put them in a hypothetical mix for fourth spot.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

In defence, Doneil will come in for Vitoria given the yellow accumulation (likely would have anyway for rotation).   

In mid I think both Staq and Hutch get the start, maybe with Fraser in there if it is a 3-man mid.  

On the wings I think Millar may be rotated in to start.  And up front I could see one of Cav or Ugbo getting the nod.   David ran his ass off last game so not sure if he starts or not.   But he is used to heavy minutes with Lille and played excellently last game.

The rest will depend on formation.  Personnel for a 3-5-1 vs a 4-4-2 would be a bit different.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

I didn't watch the HON v SLV match last night, but each side made three substituions each at the half with SLV leading by a goal. Anyone have any insight into this? At first blush it just seems odd. 

Edit- maybe since they are down and out they just decided to rotate. In past windows El Salvador haven't rotated much at all. 

Edited by canuckgbp

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Will update this to standard first post later today.

I can do this later tonight when I get home if you wish.

Got to drive back to Ottawa!

2 hours ago, trc2014 said:

I didn’t see Cav on the bench yesterday (although he was on the team sheet).  I thought it was odd.

Interesting. Wasn't Piette injured but still on the team sheet?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I can do this later tonight when I get home if you wish.

Gott drive back to Ottawa!

Interesting. Wasn't Piette injured but still on the team sheet?

I'd be very much obliged as I need time to do outlandish posts of the sort we senior members get to do, relegated as we are to drooling and extemporaneity.

I think we need to be cautious about too much rotation, as I wouldn't want to see Herdman move too many of our role players into the starting lineup as we haven't qualified yet.  We still need to win this game.   Once that's done, I'm all about running out some of the role players for a start to see how they do.

One of Larin or David has to be on the field and preferably both Hutch and Eustaquio in the centre.  I'm always nervous with Henry at CB as I feel his risk/reward mentality is tilted too far to the risky side and is a PK waiting to happen.

I would be fine if Crepeau got a start.

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I hope we see Kennedy in the Vitoria role over Henry. I know some people don't like having a lefty in the middle but whatever.

Not sure if we see Cornelius get a look at LCB or stick with Miller who was great yesterday. 

Henry or Hutchinson will play there don't know the other chap

A lefty needs to practice the other foot beforehand to be the sweeper

17 minutes ago, AvroArrow said:

I think we need to be cautious about too much rotation, as I wouldn't want to see Herdman move too many of our role players into the starting lineup as we haven't qualified yet.  We still need to win this game.   Once that's done, I'm all about running out some of the role players for a start to see how they do.

One of Larin or David has to be on the field and preferably both Hutch and Eustaquio in the centre.  I'm always nervous with Henry at CB as I feel his risk/reward mentality is tilted too far to the risky side and is a PK waiting to happen.

I would be fine if Crepeau got a start.

Larin and David are playing.  

18 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

These are two wild takes Mr. Argentina 😂

Hutch has dropped into CB role for Besiktas, a bit over the years, and with some success. He has the height and the experience to do it. If you were in a game situation with no more subs and an injury to a CB, he'd be first in line. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Hutch has dropped into CB role for Besiktas, a bit over the years, and with some success. He has the height and the experience to do it. If you were in a game situation with no more subs and an injury to a CB, he'd be first in line. 

Sure, if we're in a situation like the Americans were last night then we drop him back to finish out a match. But we did bring 6 CBs to camp and 3 of them are well rested after last night.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yep. This is an example where Hutch could move back. Don't see him starting unless we were riddle with injuries or cards.

We have a thin midfield right now (depending on Eustaquio and Piette's health)

I honestly think Kennedy is a candidate to replace Vitoria in that central role. As of now we don't really have anyone else. Next cycle? Who knows. 

I'm nervous about Henry starting, he's just too risky, I would see Cornelius starting, he's in form and is a natural CB, I would take him over any non CB moving into the position, we need the 3 points in Salvador to release the pressure, it's not the time for experiment. 

I would see Cavalini in the starting lineup for David, this is the kind of environment he can do damages in and I think David needs some rest. 

1 minute ago, Francois79 said:

I'm nervous about Henry starting, he's just too risky, I would see Cornelius starting, he's in form and is a natural CB, I would take him over any non CB moving into the position, we need the 3 points in Salvador to release the pressure, it's not the time for experiment. 

I would see Cavalini in the starting lineup for David, this is the kind of environment he can do damages in and I think David needs some rest. 

That back 3 is tough to choose. I wonder if Johnston is good to go 3 matches.. if not, our only right footed option on the backline is Henry unless we put Hutchinson in the Johnston role. 

I don't think David needs a rest but I agree about Cavallini starting for him. David could be deadly if brought on for the last 30 in this match and we have the depth so why not? 

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That back 3 is tough to choose. I wonder if Johnston is good to go 3 matches.. if not, our only right footed option on the backline is Henry unless we put Hutchinson in the Johnston role. 

I don't think David needs a rest but I agree about Cavallini starting for him. David could be deadly if brought on for the last 30 in this match and we have the depth so why not? 

I'd be more nervous about Henry starting in the Johnston role than centrally. If Johnston can't go I'd consider a back 4 with Laryea at RB. I see no reason why he couldn't, though, based on previous windows.

Edited by jonovision

47 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Hutch is not a CB. 

Hutch has played centre back for canada before.  In fact, as a centre back, he was named to the U20 WC 2003 best 11.  I think he is the only Canadian to boast such an accomplishment at a FIFA tournament.

D mids can easily adapt and be inter-changeable to the CB role.  

Edited by Free kick